Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36290 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »

I don't really see why the sewage should disappear over time. If I have it on, I should have to deal with it

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2010, 04:14:33 pm »

I'm going to agree with that one. I'm in favor of either digging a really deep pit for it or having to flush it out with water.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2010, 04:29:24 pm »

The seminal Bay 12 masterpieces Fuck You and I'm Voting for Myself should be required playing for anyone who posts in this thread.
I've played them...they were...interesting.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2010, 04:52:46 pm »

I don't really see why the sewage should disappear over time. If I have it on, I should have to deal with it

The idea was that it would just merge in with the soil. I mean, if you poop on a muddy field it's eventually just going to degrade and merge in with the soil.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2010, 10:53:53 pm »

You mean like fertilizer ? PIG FARM!
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2010, 01:54:17 pm »

Quote from: Toady One in DF Talk #6
I'm usually pro details - I think it's pretty clear. :) I usually add crap when I can.
I think that's conclusive here :D .
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2010, 02:27:47 pm »

Okay, how about this for a maximally abstracted, minimally gross, no-micromanaging version.  Which also combines with my fertilization ideas.

Latrines are built the same way as workshops, and dwarves visit them periodically.  A lack of latrines causes a very bad thought, but nothing else, no poo piles everywhere.  No "toilet" furniture.  If we can abstract away all a carpenter's tools and things, we can abstrat away bathroom furniture too.

Compost piles are also built like a workshop.

By using the (o)rders menu, or (q)uerying the appropriate room, or whatever, you can set multiple options.

Dwarves do/don't use waste for workshop tasks - using waste increases risk of disease, but makes certain tasks faster.  That's it, no extra hauling or poo piles or piss puddles.

Dwarves do/don't compost waste - composting waste increases risk of disease, but also increases the number of farm tiles which can be fertilized.

Dwarves do/don't compost large remains - composting remains loses bones and increases risk of disease, but increases fertilization, again.  This one involves hauling, but only inasmuch as dwarves will carry dead things to the compost heap rather than the refuse pile.

Dwarves d/don't compost small remains - as with large remains, but no bones are lost.  Also includes chunks and things.

Animal waste could be completely behind the scenes, and assumed to be used for composting if a compost pile is present.  An animal can fertilize up to 1/10th its size in farm tiles, per season, or whatever.  No dog poo piles, no cow patties, no extra hauling.  The compost pile just tracks the combined size of all your tame animals, and says "you can fertilize X farm tiles."  Dwarfanure and composted dead things would be handled the same way, though composted bodies would be a 1-season boost.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:32:37 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2010, 03:50:06 pm »

I'm usually pro details - I think it's pretty clear. :) I usually add crap when I can.

"Crap" in that context (ie. a vacuum) is ambiguous.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:37 pm »

"Crap" in that context (ie. a vacuum) is ambiguous.

Not even the emoticon was enough to clue you in?

Okay, how about this for a maximally abstracted, minimally gross, no-micromanaging version.  Which also combines with my fertilization ideas.

For me, a version that abstract takes away most of what's interesting about this feature, i.e. having a good reason to build a working sewer/cistern/etc.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2010, 05:32:53 pm »

For me, on the other hand, having to build a working sewer/cistern would be way too much work, when my dwarves are sleeping in the mud, starving to death, and fending off giant eagles with their bare hands.

On the other hand, a drowning chamber for elves that uses crap, and being able to imprison goblin babysnatchers under the latrine would be awesome.

And on the other other hand, hopefully the new workshop system, more accessible raws, etc., will allow a latrine mod.

First, you'd need some way of periodically generating a very high priority "go to the latrine" task for every dwarf, at semi-random intervals.  If a dwarf is prevented from completing this task for a long time, whether because of the absence of latrines, locked doors, long lines, etc., they get a very bad thought.

Every time the "go to latrine" task is completed, 1/7 level of waste is produced in the central tile (which needs to be built over a channel).  Coming into contact with this liquid should make dwarves very unhappy.

And you could have another workshop to which waste can be brought in buckets, and turned into fertilizer or whatever.

Just need a custom workshop and a custom liquid.  The hardest part would be randomly generating tasks like that.  Though if the game is made moddable enough, it could be made similar to how dwarves decide when it's time to eat and drink.

And actually, it would be very beneficial to be able to mod things like that, anyway.  You could make critters which crave food at different intervals, or that require a specific food at certain times, or that periodically feel the urge to do a particular job (like strange moods, but regular instead of once in a lifetime).

Footkerchief, you're good at recognizing redundant stuff.  Has "opening" the task-generation system been proposed?  If not, I'ma start a thread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:38:06 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »

For me, on the other hand, having to build a working sewer/cistern would be way too much work, when my dwarves are sleeping in the mud, starving to death, and fending off giant eagles with their bare hands.

This is my thoughts on the entire thing.  Sure, if I feel like building a massive sewer system I should be able to, but by no means should it be necessary.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »

Which makes it a good init option

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2010, 07:12:13 pm »

Sewage management had always been a huge concern on high-density settlements in real life. I don't see why it should be different in dwarf fortress. Perhaps there could be two kinds of solution for sewer management, one of them could involve "fillable" toilets/latrines, which would eventually overflow, and would need to be emptied by dwarves that work in sewage using buckets, and dumped somewhere to decompose or flow away, and another system would be building toilets with acess to a sewage (much like wells in the current DF) system that would be channeled/pumped/stored to the constructor's pleasure. Gobblin shit trap anyone? Plus considering the new diseases system it'd be interesting to have sewage managed in an orderly way to prevent the spread of miasma and such, that could not only piss your dorfs off, but trigger ilnesses...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:19 pm »

I'd like to see piping implemented first (something functioning like bridged channels from 2D, except that they're treated as normal floors afterwards). Right now everything capable of transporting liquids is big enough for a dwarf to walk through, and that's not necessary for dealing with the waste of even 500 dwarves. It also makes a huge mess of the mountain, which has always bugged me a little. A well doesn't need the amount of water that a dwarf-sized tunnel can provide.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2010, 08:17:02 pm »

Which makes it a good init option

Actually, not really.  All of the on/off gameplay options we have now are for things that aren't fun as they are because they are incomplete.  Economy (and rent), caveins (unrealistic, as a single tile can support mountains), temperature and weather (very little effect, high CPU), invaders (quickly become a minor annoyance if dealt with efficiently and merely supply large piles of essentially worthless items (see economy)), and artifacts (which have little benefit above normal items).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17