Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36308 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2008, 12:13:05 pm »

Could one of the followers and one of the enemies stand up and say why is it such a big deal?

As for me, I see nothing wrong in this idea. It's a simulation after all and an architect has to consider such prosaic matters. I can't just understand this level of enthusiasm or enmity towards this thread...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2008, 12:42:11 pm »

As a supporter, I like the idea for exactly the reasons you give -- improving the simulation and making a plumbing system more useful.  But it's not like THE GAME WILL NEVER BE COMPLETE WITHOUT IT or anything. 

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2008, 12:53:04 pm »

It's funny that this topic generates such strong opinion.

I admit, I was totally grossed out at the very suggestion at first, and was about to rail against it, but the more I thought about it - it would have to be implemented carefully, but I think the fact that so much of ancient economy and craftsmanship was based on waste matter, the more I realized this would actually be a totally fitting thing to add.

I'd still like the actual representations of waste to be abstracted somewhat, because I'm squeemish, but how's this for a Power Goal:

Urist McAlchemist collects urine and boils it in the alchemy lab, eventually extracting the vials of white phosphorous (this is somewhat historical - it is used in one of the proposed recipes for Greek Fire). White phosphorous glows a weird blue-green when exposed to oxygen, and will ignite and burn explosively with air. A vial of white phosphorous can be thrown and will ignite the square it hits in green fire, terrifying your enemies and lighting them of fire.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2008, 12:17:04 am »

Could one of the followers and one of the enemies stand up and say why is it such a big deal?

As a supporter I move to present the indisputable fact that drowning elves in dwarven feces is awesome

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2008, 05:43:02 am »

Nah, i find it wrong. Flinging it into advancing goblin sieges via catapult, to spread disease and epic humiliation. that'd be cool.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2008, 08:00:46 pm »

Why the heck would you want this? Half the point of ASCII displays is that you imagine what is going on based on the symbols.

If you really want it in the game and can't stand how dwarven farmers do not have realistic bodily functions and can set up a farm with no fertilization, then feel free to imagine them spreading your fortresses waste over the soil.

Just don't make us experience it.

Oh, and another thing. If the little left toe of a cave lizard produces enough miasma to completely drown out a room, imagine what 200, 50 or even 7 dwarves will make the map look like. If this insane suggestion comes to fruition then we will not be able to see anything save for a purple cloud - All because someone wanted urine and feces in the game.

Seriously guys. I'm fine with vomit because it fits in well with the whole "seriously injured cave dwelling alcoholic" thing we have going on, but the second you make me have to dig long-drops for my little hairy men is when you've made the game a lot less fun in favor of "realism" and micromanagement.

Don't..Just don't.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2008, 03:20:58 am »

Why the heck would you want this? Half the point of ASCII displays is that you imagine what is going on based on the symbols.
Yeah. I agree. It's half the point.
Imagination itself doesn't cut it though. ASCII graphics or not, toady has set upon himself to create the most advanced game ever, and we're all lining up and supporting this endeavor. It's not some rogue-like, but an honest-to-god attempt to recreate the formation of a society, with all its implications. I for one wish that exponential growth of any settlement should carry with it it's share of debilitating side-effects. Sanitation to prevent disease being one.
I realize that you're the kind of person who isn't quite comfortable with the visions of this enterprise, but you've got to face that DF is going to change a lot and remove a lot of the features that you currently support, whatever they may be. I have a sneaking suspicion though that your 'features' are our exploits and/or ruin 'our' immersion.

The thing about the miasma isn't a feature but should actually be worked on.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2008, 12:10:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2008, 07:35:48 am »

I just realised this thread was lacking something;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thankyou, carry on.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2008, 11:20:32 am »

Poo poetry? I might could do that...

*ahem*
In days of olde,
When knights were bold,
And toilets not invented.

A man would lay his load,
Upon the road,
And walk away contented.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2008, 11:45:10 am »

Urist has been miserable lately. He had stepped in soil lately. He has had soil thrown at him by an unhappy citizen lately. He was forced to drink soiled water recently. He was nauseated by soiled water lately. He had the pleasure of throwing soil lately. He was forced to soil a rough cave floor lately.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2008, 04:00:41 pm »

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

GaGrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2008, 07:22:54 pm »

If someone can explain to me how this would be worse than much of the stuff than is already in the histories and is planned for the future I'd be grateful.

Y'know soon our dwarves will have rotting wounds and various nasty diseases to put up with.  Vemons too.

I really think, given the economic and social impact of the hygeine that's being suggested the game is missing something without it.  Not cruically perhaps, and I'll probably still continue attempting to make sewer/aquaduct-type systems out of stubborness (not that i've succeed yet).

Small outdoor/near surface communities shouldn't worry about it anyway.  But its as fundamental as breathing, eating and sleeping all of which are already ingame.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2008, 08:05:45 pm »

The seminal Bay 12 masterpieces Fuck You and I'm Voting for Myself should be required playing for anyone who posts in this thread.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »

I have an idea to make everyone happy.

1) Make it init configurable. If set to no, then all sewage related features are not accessible in game.
2) Make it simple. Here's how it could work.

- The latrine is a 1x1 building that must be over an empty space, like a well. It must be activity zoned.
- In the absence of a latrine, the dwarves will defecate outside and receive a bad thought.
- Using the latrine would cause the tile below to become 1/7 full of "sewage", or "waste", or whatever you want to call it.
- The waste would disappear over time like water. It might take longer to disappear on a stone tile than a soil tile (for obvious reasons). Sewage pipes would only really be necessary if the fort was very highly populated.
- Sewage is treated much like vomit in that it gives off bad thoughts. It also creates miasma if there is enough of it (over 3/7?), although this is only an issue if you have an open pit in your fort rather than latrine.

This wouldn't take much to implement and should be interesting to please the people who did want it implemented.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17