Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36240 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 10:30:52 am »

Yeah Toady works on a lot of work that I personally disdain

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 11:29:28 am »

Sewers are a classic dungeon setting. We can't deny ourselves that part of underground diversity, can we? It would also open up another entrance into the fortress, which makes sieges less predictable.

I'm all for it. There already is miasma, vomit and goo. If anything, I'd rather see vomit omitted, because it has absolutely no economical use. not that it needs to go, maybe the vomit trails could be a little bit shorter... their length strains my suspension of disbelief.

Feces: fertilizer, fuel, tanning.
Urine: fertilizer, tanning, dyeing, disinfectant, source for chemicals.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

this is going to end like theme park/hospital, i just know it
Urist1 poops in the latrine
Urist2, 10 squares from the latrine, is disgusted by the smell and vomits
Urist3 feels ill at the sight of vomit and vomits
Urist4,5,6,7,8 are just outside the dining room and see Urist3, and vomit
HELLO AND WELCOME TO VOMIT FORTRESS
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 12:27:20 pm »

It been suggested before? I'm sorry  :-X

"Blacklisted Suggestions" sticky would be nice.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 12:52:29 pm »

I believe what Toady said was not that he'll never consider including biowaste, but that he'll only implement it if someone comes up with a way to make it fun.  I could be paraphrasing somebody else's inaccurate quote, though.

Also, I second the notion of a sticky full of incessantly-suggested items.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 12:54:10 pm »

I really like the idea. In the begining of the fortress dwarves will do what they need outside not causing any problems. But later when the fortress grows you will have to build toilets or else your dwarves will cover the fortress with shit producing miasma, unhappy thoughts etc. You will have to build a cistern under the toilet to collect feces, then you could use its content as fertilizer or to fill the moat and then drop elf diplomats into it. ;) Imagine that!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »

The spinning feces hits the elf in head! It is crushed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 01:30:46 pm »

Flushing Toilets are outside of the time frame limitations as they are less then 200 years old.  Everything would be done with Buckets in this era, or a hole dug in the ground.  Indoor 'Cesspools' created by the same fashion as ponds would be filled with the used buckets, eventually some fertilizer gets created their and removed.  I'd imagine it wouldn't actually be that complex to implement or control as the player just orders more buckets to be produced and the Dwarfs use these of their own volition.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »

Well, in the olde tymes, the crappers inside castles sometimes had plumbing that sent the stuff into the moat. Moats were very nasty back then.

Everyone else had a bucket, and apperently would just toss the stuff out the upper story windows. Makes sense for Human towns, I guess. Even today you can go to villages in places like Iraq with open sewers, where it all goes into a central pond, and is burned with gasoline at frequent intervals.

Open sewers are not as smelly as you'd think... the sewage is grey from people burning the stuff, and it doesn't really smell like anything unless they are actively burning it, which makes a spicy-meat smell oddly enough.

Sewage could be easily done in DF, so long as the output from Dwarfs was reasonable. Filling up a 20x10 cistern under the communal shitters in a year would be horrible, even if I could throw things in there... Or just make buckets that could be emptyed out into a Pit/Pond designated as Sewage.

Romans had sewers, and Dwarves are easily as sophisicated as they are, so flowing water from a brook that ran underground would be a nice solution.

Also, I dunno if it should just require a bucket, or there should be some peice of furniture like a john that dwarves could encrust with gems and mencing spikes. An Artifact toliet in the noble's room... I am not sure I'd like that.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 02:13:08 pm »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 04:10:50 pm »

I'd like this feature implemented mainly because I want my dwarves to pollute a brook upstream of an Elven forest retreat.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 04:40:48 pm »

Also, I dunno if it should just require a bucket, or there should be some peice of furniture like a john that dwarves could encrust with gems and mencing spikes.
This is uberGandoBomrek a gem encrusted toilet.  It ehibits perfect dwarven craftmanship and is made of olvine.  Its base is encrusted with with opals and masterfully cut pearls.  The gems depict a dwarf sitting upon uberGandoBomrek.  The dwarf grimaces.  Its seat menaces with spikes of steel and platinum.  On the spikes is engraved, "Pointy.  Sit here at your own risk."
Value: 1,278,000
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 09:09:41 pm »

this is going to end like theme park/hospital, i just know it
Urist1 poops in the latrine
Urist2, 10 squares from the latrine, is disgusted by the smell and vomits
Urist3 feels ill at the sight of vomit and vomits
Urist4,5,6,7,8 are just outside the dining room and see Urist3, and vomit
HELLO AND WELCOME TO VOMIT FORTRESS
it'd be like the tantrum spiral as it is today.
i guess they could do projectile vomiting instead of throwing things.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »

Also, I dunno if it should just require a bucket, or there should be some peice of furniture like a john that dwarves could encrust with gems and mencing spikes.
just a grate over a hole would be okay i think. just specify a zone around a hole, and dwarves could go there just as if they were performing a 'dumping' task.

i got Warhammer online started today, but i feel myself gravitating back towards DF.
achievements etc etc. hah, it's all just make-up to cover a crappy engine and trite concept, even though it's warhammer fantasy :<
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Sprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 09:22:24 pm »

If we could designated latrine areas, i'm all for positioning them over various noble's beds.

Ursit McNoble has been miserable. He slept in a bedroom like a personal palace lately. He enjoyed a truely dedecant meal lately. He ate in a legendary dining room lately. He was used as a toilet lately. He lost a cat to floodgates recently. He has recently been dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17