Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36213 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2010, 09:52:39 am »

My point was that the mechanics of air flow are fine, but I don't want the terms with which the game refers to the process as "oxidation" (etc).  I want stale air called "phlogisticated air" (note: I had put "dephlogisticated" in my prior post, but that's the ash, the air is "phlogisticated," or "full of phlogistion").

Assuming that the game needs to, of course.

The mechanisms and tools and yadda yadda that are put to use in order to circulate air, as they have been suggested, are fine.

First, you're assuming that dwarf science and technology would progress perfectly along the same lines as human science.

Given that Toady is not using any technology beyond the 1400s....

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 23, 2010, 11:17:30 am »

My point was that the mechanics of air flow are fine, but I don't want the terms with which the game refers to the process as "oxidation" (etc).  I want stale air called "phlogisticated air" (note: I had put "dephlogisticated" in my prior post, but that's the ash, the air is "phlogisticated," or "full of phlogistion").

I prefer the science-y terms, personally.  They ground the fantasy in reality, giving it a more tangible feel.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »

I would side with Chthonic on this, or at least, have a notion of "depleted air" (what is being depleted, exactly, being unclear).

Given that Toady is not using any technology beyond the 1400s....

He's using a world where civilizations can be formed and maintained that are capable of subsisting on subterranean agriculture, which is something well beyond the capabilities of medieval societies, and frankly, a little difficult and costly for modern societies to attempt, as well, as it would likely require hydroponics and geothermal power for lighting.

He may not be using something beyond the exact scientific "feel" of the Rennaisance (specifically, he is opposed to, among other things, "Dwarven Locomotives"), but there is a necessary allowance for certain unrealities. 

The ancient Chinese believed that air was a void, and that wind was created from trees.  As such, in their list of five basic elements, there was no "air", there was, instead, "wood".  It was only with later, better understanding of the world around them that they could correct that mistake.  A creature that lives underground, where there are no trees (excepting, maybe, tower caps, which are just mushrooms that have wood-like caps), nobody would have ever made that sort of mistake, especially since there can most definitely be wind inside caves.  Saying that we should hold that a subterranean people would have to hold that ancient notion of how wind works as part of the development of their understanding of the world, in spite of the sources of their understanding of the world being radically different is... well, even more unrealistic than dwarves using magic air-making fungus.

Dwarves, as I said in the last post, would likely adapt/evolve some manner of innately understanding when air is dangerous to breathe.  Creatures that are adapted to living near the dangerous gasses of volcanic vents or deep in caves can do this in nature.  Even if they didn't have an innate early-warning system, like a sensitivity to carbon monoxide or methane that would manifest in a throbbing of whatever organ was developed to detect that kind of gas, they would certainly use canaries in their coal mines.

You can call it "gland-swelling air" if you want, but dwarves wouldn't need a system of understanding a need to breathe fresh air in terms of "fire elements".  Their understanding would far more likely involve "life-supporting air" and "air that carries death".

In short, rather than carrying on about sanguine temperments, if we aren't going to have "depleted air", I'd rather we have an entirely fabricated philosophy/mythology about how science works that would befit a subterranean race.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2010, 02:47:56 pm »

In short, rather than carrying on about sanguine temperments, if we aren't going to have "depleted air", I'd rather we have an entirely fabricated philosophy/mythology about how science works that would befit a subterranean race.

Which is why I like the term Phlogiston.  It's sciencey, mostly correct, and a product of its times.  Dwarves are all about rock, the only notions they'll have about the existence of air is going to be if it can support life or not.  Smoke and Miasma are highly phlogistigated air, and thus undesirable underground.

They don't care about forests (chopping them down for beds) because they're not aware that trees dephlogistigate the air making it breathable again (elves on the other hand do realize that they're needed).

We can, of course, make up a new term, I just suggest this one because it already exists and fills the exact niche we're looking to fill.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »

Hmmm... I second this!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2010, 04:17:34 pm »

... Apparently, the DF word for "breath aura" is gasolthoth...

There's also beast-breath, which is fergasol.

That is the closest I can get to breathable air, because "air" and "wind" and such are not in the dictionary.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2010, 04:32:43 pm »

... Apparently, the DF word for "breath aura" is gasolthoth...

There's also beast-breath, which is fergasol.

That is the closest I can get to breathable air, because "air" and "wind" and such are not in the dictionary.

Try "burning up," as that's what "phlogiston" means in English, named for the fact that the etherial material phlogiston was transfered through the process of combustion.  Given that we have "breath" in dwarvish, we could do "burned [up] breath" (lacking the word "air") signifying that air that has been in the presence of fire is less breathable (dwarves would know this).

It would be appropriate for 90% of our "foul air" sources: forges, kilns, fire (smoke), magma,* and miasma.

*Not actually the same thing, chemically, but due to sulpher content and other gasses, but really: from the point of view of dwarves its the same thing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2010, 06:38:24 pm »

Try "burning up," as that's what "phlogiston" means in English, named for the fact that the etherial material phlogiston was transfered through the process of combustion.  Given that we have "breath" in dwarvish, we could do "burned [up] breath" (lacking the word "air") signifying that air that has been in the presence of fire is less breathable (dwarves would know this).

It would be appropriate for 90% of our "foul air" sources: forges, kilns, fire (smoke), magma,* and miasma.

*Not actually the same thing, chemically, but due to sulpher content and other gasses, but really: from the point of view of dwarves its the same thing.

Gases from poorly ventilated magma might need to be treated differently... for one thing, the gasses from a volcanic vent tend to sink, unlike the hot air and smoke of a fire. 

Anyway, "burned breath" is ninggasol.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2010, 06:43:09 am »

How about a sliding descriptive scale, like for skills.  Instead of "phlogistonated," which to me sounds bloated and a little bit steam-punky (phlogiston is post-1400's pseuodoscience, btw) maybe say that air can be (in order) fresh, good, stale, bad, or poisonous.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2010, 07:04:28 am »

How about a sliding descriptive scale, like for skills.  Instead of "phlogistonated," which to me sounds bloated and a little bit steam-punky (phlogiston is post-1400's pseuodoscience, btw) maybe say that air can be (in order) fresh, good, stale, bad, or poisonous.

"Good" sounds too... good.

Fresh, fair, stale, noxious, deadly.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2010, 07:34:39 am »

Much better.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:23 am »

(phlogiston is post-1400's pseuodoscience, btw)

As I stated at least once, including when I linked the wikipedia article.  Thanks.

....I'm gonna have to say that at best we should have phlogistion.  The reason I say "at best" is because the theory was made in the 1600s...

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:16 am »

As I stated at least once, including when I linked the wikipedia article.  Thanks.

No need to get cranky.  Everyone skims and speed-reads from time to time.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:02 am »

No need to get cranky.  Everyone skims and speed-reads from time to time.

Point, but my post was less than a page and two days ago.  Most people would have read that stuff fully and recently.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2010, 09:48:15 am »

I'd like to put my vote in to rich, fine, _, stale, poor, foul...gasol, or breath.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17