Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36227 times)

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2008, 03:26:34 am »

Even children drink beer, and beer is drunk to every meal. One big difference is that medieval man would get seriously ill when he drank water, and was afraid to even take a bath out of fear of water.

One has to add, the medival beer was muuuch more dilluted than the one we are used today. Its primary task was there to conserver water, not to get drunk or to taste well.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2008, 03:30:19 am »

Ack, I wouldn't want this. If it interests you that much, play HellMOO and you'll see how annoying it does get. Or Stronghold 2.

One positive thing would be that there would be toilets/sewage system. The negatives is that it's not really worth it, and I don't really want to be cleaning up dog poop from the kennels. Really, the main point is whether it'll make the game better or not, and it won't make a huge difference compared to what Mr Adams would be better spending his time on.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2008, 03:35:47 am »

The idea itself holds promise (especially where elves and goblins are concerned) but I'd like three things fixed/implemented before we even think about toilets;

• Flows pushing objects; I want my sewer to actively wash away whatever I dump down there.
  • Animal only meeting zones/ranches etc; The idea of my hundred odd pets crapping in all my corridors is a rather scary thought.
  • Bathing/soap; Being coated in mud, blood and vomit is bad enough, without adding excrement.

That aside, another idea for the faeces thread; lighting your farts (sort of)!

As your poop rots, it pumps out methane, which goes booooom ;D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2008, 04:03:22 am »

I'd love to see the new drowning chambers after the implementation of feces as a semi-liquid akin to magma..

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2008, 05:54:45 am »

I'd love to see the new drowning chambers after the implementation of feces as a semi-liquid akin to magma..

Oh please....Rambo II. just popped up in my mind... ;D

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2008, 06:40:56 am »

As your poop rots, it pumps out methane, which goes booooom ;D
I requested deadly gas in the improved mining suggestion, and it is a subrequest from the improved underground flora/fauna thing.
Why not have dwarves working in/around the cesspit faint from the methane every once in a while and drown? Happens IRL.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2008, 09:04:33 am »

To sum it up, I think feces and urine could easily be tasteless and bad if implement in a careless way. But if they are implemented with care and tact they can be a nice addition to gameplay and a bit to humour.

Just imagine a dwarf running out of the fort to cut a tree, suddendly having an urge and going behind the next tree available to water it.... it sounds sweet to me.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2008, 10:10:08 am »

I think feces and urine could easily be tasteless ... it sounds sweet to me.

O.o
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2008, 04:49:25 pm »

Perhaps the introduction of some kind of semi-liquid generic filth produced by rot and other biological processes(such as dwarves). Could cover the whole gamut of feces, urine and rotted flesh we desire. Then diseases and miasma could emanate from it.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2008, 05:05:32 pm »

Yeah. I think it is probably for the best if it does not get more specific than "filth".

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2008, 05:46:46 pm »

I would make a threefold distinction between urine, manure/compost (feces with plant matter, relatively dry) and rotting sludge (everything else that is rotting and is moist enough to flow).
Manure is relatively innocuous so it spreads little miasma. It's typical for agricultural use in pre-industrial animal husbandry. The sludge would cover everything else that isn't solid anymore and thus unrecognizable.

Those three categories have different uses and different properties (fluid & slight miasma, solid  & slight miasma, semi-fluid & severe miasma) so I think it's useful to make the distinction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sludge
This url is not to endorse that level of detail to be implemented, but to illustrate waste management and uses.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »

I would love this suggestion to be implemented. Sewage, sewage managment, sewers, running water, public health, and all the related things are a cornerstone of success for any organized body of individuals, and seeing as DF is a simulation of such, it would add much more strategy to the game.

As with antmen in chasms, we need ratmen, giant rats, giant crocodiles, and mutated fish to spawn in sewers.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2008, 08:28:34 pm »

I want individual waste, but waste class tags.
We got a lot of metal, as an example. There might be a dozen different metals, which are still recognized as metal.

Request removal of chunks from butcher, instead spawn 2/8 brains, 3/8 guts, 3/8 organs per size unit. Retain chunks from war injuries.

examples of raw materials
Urine[fertiliser][bleach][chemical]
Feces[fertiliser][tanning]
Brains[tripe][tanning]
Guts[tripe][guts]
Vomit[chemical]
Chunks[tripe][uncleaned tripe]
Organs[tripe]
Stomach acid[chemical][bleach]
Vermin corpse[uncleaned tripe]
Fish cleanings[cleanings]
Compost[fertilizer]
Body part[uncleaned tripe]
Fish[uncleaned meat]

if they start to rot, add a [rotting](as in not completely rotted yet) tag!
rotting Brains [tripe][tanning][rotting]

examples of tasks
make dog food - [[rotting]tripe/uncleaned tripe/cleanings][[rotting]tripe/uncleaned tripe/cleanings]
make sausages - [tripe][guts]
rinse clothes - [water]
wash clothes - [water][soap]
remove stain - [bleach][water]
bleach - [bleach][water]
distill acid - [chemical]
fertilize plot - [fertilizer][water]
tan hide - [chemical][[rotting]tanning/tanning]

etc etc etc, too much detail already
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2008, 08:30:14 pm »

Even children drink beer, and beer is drunk to every meal. One big difference is that medieval man would get seriously ill when he drank water, and was afraid to even take a bath out of fear of water.

One has to add, the medival beer was muuuch more dilluted than the one we are used today. Its primary task was there to conserver water, not to get drunk or to taste well.

It was also probably disgusting... However my only knowledge on "Traditional Beer" doesn't come from a very reliable source (In which it was a Videogame... and the character was in Ireland... To explore a castle... owned by the Knight Templar... That is haunted by a goat)

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2008, 10:27:01 am »

Two dwarves one <<*Felsite Mug*>>.

Off to kill myself in shame now. Bye guys!
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17