Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36209 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:30 pm »

Why can't it just be called "bad air?"

Easiest way to handle it would be to treat "bad air" as a very light fluid that's easy to move around, and that disappears when it goes aboveground.  Especially since many toxic gases tend to accumulate in low places.  1/7 bad air is nearly harmless, 7/7 makes a dwarf pass out in less than a minute.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:25:36 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

TiagoTiago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2010, 07:51:56 pm »

the way i picture it, latrines would work like beds and tables, you go to it in (q)uery mode and define a bathroom, you would also be able to (d)esignate, or (i)dentify, or perhaps make a stock(p)ile for solid, and liquid waste, that is where dwarfs would go for doing their necessities in the absence of a bathroom within a reasonable distance.

You would also be able to tag latrines as well as bathroom buckets and the non-bathroom areas for bathroom related activities for usage with only liquid and only solid waste (so you don't have to separate the two later on to use them.

Solid waste (aka shit) without enough water would go first muddy, then solid, muddy would not move much distance on it's own, and solid would just  stay where it is. You would need to keep a constant flow of fresh water in  he sewers or else risk the sewer getting clogged, and if too much solid was is being deposited in proportion to the water flow, the water wouldn't be enough and the sewer would get clogged too. Solid waste touching more solid waste would diffuse it's humidity, going in the direction of the least moist ones, the driest ones sucking moisture faster than the less dry ones, you can "melt" a wall of solid waste with enough water, but if there too much solid waste coming in proportion to the the inflow of water, the water would just get absorbed and distributed among the growing volume of not all that moist solid waste. When a liquefied solid waste flows over a tile with solidified solid waste, the moisture level of the two is mixed and the result of both the volume and the moistness of the solid waste in the tile is assigned to the tile in place of what was there before (so they will mix, if there are equal volumes but opposite extremes of moistness  getting in contact with each other, the result would be both would become muddy, but if there one of them has more volume than the other, then the the one with the least volume would have it's moistness changed more, if they are equal volume but one is almost muddy, then the one that is almost changing would change to muddy, and the other one would just be much less moist or dry). The flow of moistness would be divided if there are more than one neighbor tile with solid waste, weighted by the moistness level of each neighbor in comparison with the tile in question

edit: oh, and solidified solid waste would affect which way things flow, if the it's too high in comparison to mud and liquified solid waste they would tend to flow around it (though still exchanging moistness.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:55:31 pm by TiagoTiago »
---
Notification emails don't always reach me, please let me know if you think it has happened (like if i don't reply a thread i'm expected to reply for more than a week)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2010, 03:03:24 pm »

I thought it would be appropriate to share an academic poop-related article that outlines some historical precedence for the use of poop in warfare.  :3  Enjoy!

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1305067/)

An excerpt, if I may:

The use of biological agents was not limited to defensive or retrograde operations. Scythian archers in 400BC and Hannibal in 190 BC were probably the first to "weaponize" biological agents. The former did it by dipping their arrowheads in feces or decaying cadavers; the latter, by launching pottery filled with poisonous snakes onto the ships of King Eumenes during the Second Macedonian War.(1-3)  Plague-infected cadavers were hurled into the fortifications of adversaries during medieval battles and during the famous Mongol siege of the Ukrainian city of Kaffa (now Feodosiya) in 1347.(1-5)  Later, the development of the trebuchet, an enhanced catapult, made it possible to accurately launch several-hundred-pound loads of manure or large piles of bodies that previously had been too heavy.(8 )  Although some authors believe cadavers were not competent plague vectors,(5) the prevailing scientific establishment of those times lacked the epidemiologic sophistication to realize this.  Biological projectiles had some strategic value -if only psychological- because their use persisted into the 20th century during the Russian Revolution, various European conflicts, and the South African Boer Wars.(7)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2010, 09:21:53 pm »

Knowing dwarves, though, they'd probably just end up defecating in the workshop.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2010, 06:36:43 am »

i must voice my support for pooping dwarves. it's another thing to handle, and some of us play df for the whole making-a-working-mountainhome aspect of the game. also, if the [SHITTING_DWARVES:NO] init option is added, there's no problem for the people who dislike it. excrement could be a viable substance for the fluid traps that some people have desired since 31.01 came out, and flinging it over the walls with a catapult (especially when you can launch your own sieges against others) will be awesome. yes, you can fill the enemy fort with miasma and just wait for the tantrum spiral to start. we will need port-a-potties though, but that's no big deal for our dwarven masons. or if nothing else, that legendary woodworker who went crazy and made an indestructible artefact toilet out of balsawood. encrusted with glass.

as you can guess, i don't mind the whole brown-fortress issue. we'll have a reason to build latrines like the romans, and is that so bad? i know i'll enjoy designing them!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »

Think that this is a good idea. It could be incorperated into refuse piles or it could be a building. Just another realistic problem to deal with. I support a number of ways to deal woth this. Toilets that are occasionally emptied into refuse, dwarves that just go in the refuse piles, or a fullblown sewer

Meowth! That's right!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »

Heh heh heh, adventure mode would be even twice as fun! (throwing shit, eating it,)

Would be halerious for a dwarf to get constipated then he starts bleeding from his bottom for a bit or somthing.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2010, 02:20:01 pm »

Heh heh heh, adventure mode would be even twice as fun! (throwing shit, eating it,)

Would be halerious for a dwarf to get constipated then he starts bleeding from his bottom for a bit or somthing.

No, it wouldn't. This is exactly the kind of stupidity we're trying to avoid. Please depart from this thread, as it appears that you have nothing useful to contribute to the discussion.

EDIT: Upon consideration, I've come to the conclusion that Toybasher is either a troll or twelve years old. Or both.

EDITED AGAIN to maintain this forum's chill atmosphere.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:49:18 pm by Josephus »
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2010, 02:27:14 pm »

No, it wouldn't. This is exactly the kind of stupidity we're trying to avoid. Get the fuck out.

Agreed.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2010, 09:56:41 am »

Feces is an awesome logistical problem, useless illnesses are not.
Everything without direct gameplay value, like uncureable temporary diseases, doesn't make the game any better.

... How long have I been away?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2010, 10:14:25 am »

Concerning the init option, it goes without saying that the game (and particularly the AI) is designed with all options on. Because it's easier for the AI to not handle that it supposes to be present rather than handle something that it doesn't expect.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2010, 04:22:46 am »

This is the very reason why I am begining to edge against putting piss and shit in df.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2010, 10:24:18 am »

This is the very reason why I am begining to edge against putting piss and shit in df.

What, because trolls won't like it, and we're all completely paralyzed by the fear that someone, somewhere will make fun of us?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2010, 03:05:11 pm »

What, because trolls won't like it, and we're all completely paralyzed by the fear that someone, somewhere will make fun of us?
I'm more afraid that the community would devolve into those type of trolls.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »

I'm more afraid that the community would devolve into those type of trolls.

Again, I hate to burst your bubble, but those trolls are already here.

What that kind of statement suggests is either that (A) the presence of sewage in this game will devolve otherwise relatively sane and decent users of the forums into trolls who can only talk about poo because they have no self-control, and the mere presence of it in the game will cause them to talk about it non-stop, which is, incidentaly, not what happened with all the vomit that already was in the game, or (B) that new players will somehow hear about sewage in the game, and learn how to play the game soley so that they can make "LOL POO!" jokes, or that (C) after years of having other controversial things (Goblin Fortress, cannibalism, vomit and blood, to the point of having calls for blood oceans to drown enemies within, flooding the world with magma, systematic rape and consumption of mermaid babies, elven torture and genocide, and now the ability to eat brains, or have that Succubus mod where succubi can kill enemies with an extract that comes from their breasts) that could easily be mocked about this game, this is the one and only thing that would cause a heretofore unseen deluge of trolls to come from every corner of the Internet to make "LOL POO!" jokes.

It strains credulity to think that this will be any more the subject of trolling than everything else in the game, especially when we already get trolling and endless debates over silly things like whether or not Coopering should be its own seperate skill.

People (and I use that term loosely) are going to troll this place no matter what is in the game, especially considering as there's already elements of this game that tends to bring out the trolls already (such as the bloodiness of the whole game). 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17