Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Classic console games  (Read 5056 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Classic console games
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:46:16 pm »

I haven't seen this yet on this forum, so I'll ask it. What are your favorite classic console games, I'm thinking along the lines of NES, SNES, Genesis, and anything else that seems right. Bonus points for them being hidden gems.

The Ganbare Goemon series. Mostly the SNES games, but the rest of the series is good too. Had side-scrolling action broken up with a couple of awesome first person giant mecha fights.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:26:45 am by yougiedeggs »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Classic console games
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:59:46 pm »

NES:
Over Horizon. Best scrolling shmup I ever had the pleasure to play on all the classic consoles.
Ice Climber. No comment.

Genesis:
Contra:Hard Corps. The only Contra I know off where they pulled it off right.
Dune:The Battle for Arrakis: Well, The RTS. No comment, really.
Herzog Zwei: The other great RTS, with a hell of a control system. (transforming mecha isntead of a mouse cursor?)
The entire Phantasy Star series. I actually liked it better than Final Fantasy, depite the latter's superior plot lines.
Zero Tolerance: The closest any game on these consoles ever got to Doom without copying it.
Battletech: Should've been "Mechwarrior", actually, and has quite a few errors (gauss rifle grenade launcher?), but still a great action game.
Surprisingly, Ecco the Dolphin. I never expected myself to like a game about a dolphin. Despite the wacky storyline, a very original game.

SNES:
Since I didn't own one (for long, anyway), my first-hand experience with it is rather limited, but I did get a few games on emulators, mostly well-known ones, like E.V.O., Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country(1,2,3), and various Final Fantasies.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:15:41 am »

Ogre Battle.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:31:54 am »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 04:07:03 am »

I use to like secret of mana and mortal kombat three on the SNES.
Too bad everyone is screwing with classics these days.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:39:42 am »

Hmm... I'm going to mention a lot of games that would go without mention, if they didn't demand mention.  So many to get through I'll probably have to post again.

For the SNES, there were the last great SquareSoft games.  Final Fantasy 6 was operatic in a way none since have managed to match.  It was just all around fantastic for it's time.  Surpassed only by Chrono Trigger, which can only be called the best RPG ever.  Bar none.  Don't even think about it.  And to be honest, I don't even really know why, so I can't even defend that.  Oh yeah, and the Super Mario RPG, which was just loads of fun.  They also made a platform-shooter-RPG called Front Mission: Gun Hazard, but it was never released outside Japan.  You need an emulator and a patch for it.

Other games to remember were things like Harvest Moon, which was just irresistible; Battletoads, Earthworm Jim, and such, great time wasters from the heyday of platformers; plenty of nice Kirby games.  Act Raiser (the first one) was an ingenious if simple combination of platformer and city building, hampered only by being ass bastard hard.  The Chaos Engine was a really spiffy isometric shooter, made very playable by being co-op.

Any Genesis list would be incomplete without Sonic, bless his tortured license.  Alien Soldier was a neato platformer in the Contra vein.  Can't forget Golden Axe, dwarf FTW.  The Road Rash games were some of the best pre-3D racers out there, 3 especially, if only for the way cool music.  Vector Man will always have a place in my heart, for being the first game I had on the console.

Interesting tidbit about Contra: Hard Corp - it was chopped down (or was it the other way 'round?) to make Contra 3 for the SNES, but Hard Corp had far better speed and performance.  However, it started as a Japanese Contra arcade game, was ported to the Master System, where it was so hard that for the only time in the series, it gained a three hit life bar.  When it was released in America, they dropped the life bar but changed nothing else, making it probably the hardest of all Contras, near unplayable without an emulator.

I only had a few NES games but besides the obvious Mario titles, two really stand out.  One was Iron Tank, hard top-down shooter.  The other, Faxanadu - a platform RPG that, as far as I can tell, is actually endless.  I've logged like 30 hours with an emulator and I don't think I'm anywhere near an end.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:06:26 am »

NES:
Ice Climbers
Super Mario 1-3
Gradius
Adventure Island
Final Fantasy 1 (In my humble opinion, the best one they ever made.)

SNES:
Super Mario World (Best Mario game ever.)
Mario Kart
Mortal Kombat 3

Genesis and Mastersystem:
Sonic 1-3
Sonic Spinball
Fantasy Zone 2
Montezuma's Revenge
Ultimate Qix

I think I played too much Mario and Sonic.

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:07:40 am »

I had some games I really liked for NES and SNES, But I can't think of them!

Genesis:
Alien Storm
Phantasy Star 4 : The End of The Millenium
The first Home-Alone game
Haunting starring Polterguy
and the Earthworm Jim games

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 11:30:48 am »

I liked Super Fantasy Zone for the mega drive (Genesis), and still have it on both the mega drive and wii (virtual console ;)).

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 04:56:53 pm »

I don't know if it counts, but check out ROM CHECK FAIL at this site.  It's pretty hilarious, blends a whole bunch of classic NES games into one wonderful mess.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »

Genesis:

Earthworm Jim
Gunstar Heroes
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Mortal Kombat 1/2
Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:35:37 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 08:20:06 pm »

for NES, Shingen the Ruler and Rush 'n' Attack (and obviously Legend of Zelda)

for SNES, I agree with Aqizzar about FFVI and ChronoTrigger
also Robotrek and Star Ocean

Edit: Yeah, forgot about Lufia II.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:34:57 pm by Mister Thou »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 09:23:10 pm »

Remember: Most computer keyboards cannot take more than a few inputs at once. So any SNES game you have legally(cough cough) on an emulator will make problems if you need to do anything like running in a direction, holding something and jumping. Alas, even if Super Mario World was legal, you would not be able to carry items and jump while going in some direction.

What I recommend(From the cartridges I used to own): EVO(To get rid of any Spore bummer feeling you might have. Lots of grinding), Soul Blazer(Part of a trilogy, consisting of Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.), Lufia II(An RPG FAR ahead of it's time), Uncharted Waters, New Horizons(If you know what to do, expect a lot of nautical fun!).

Also, Terranigma. Early to midgame plot is just grand. Endgame not so grand, but the beginning is just grand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I never got into Chrono Trigger(That's right, mock me for heresy), I was too occupied with Soul Blazer and Terranigma.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:29:11 pm »

My favorites

Super Mario RPG
Kirby Superstar (Where did I put it!?)

<Moves into bunker>
Final Fantasy 7

It may not be a 'true' console, but ummm.

I'm just going to go now . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 11:41:23 pm »

Remember: Most computer keyboards cannot take more than a few inputs at once. So any SNES game you have legally(cough cough) on an emulator will make problems if you need to do anything like running in a direction, holding something and jumping. Alas, even if Super Mario World was legal, you would not be able to carry items and jump while going in some direction.

I have some difficulties with this, but I've found that using WASD for movement, and home, end, delete, insert, and page up/down for the buttons works fairly well.
Pages: [1] 2 3