Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Announcement/Report for Fortress Mode.  (Read 991 times)

Lokomotivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat Announcement/Report for Fortress Mode.
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:29:53 pm »

It's too much hassle just installing Dwarf Companion to unlock this feature in Fortress mode, this is something that is really needed in Fortress mode!

In other words:
Have Combat Announcements in Fortress Mode, just like the one in Adventure Mode.

Edit:

I know this has been suggested many times.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:14:17 pm by Lokomotivet »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Announcement/Report for Fortress Mode.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:38:17 pm »

I don't know how you'd work it into the interface, but I'd definitely like to see what's actually going on in battles, that's for sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:27 pm »

Perhaps a new announcement-like window for Battle Logs

I'd suggest having a filtering system, so you can remove misses and other information that you don't find important. Maybe even a way to scroll through the list of what's going on in the battle and be able to zoom to where the action is taking place or where it took place.

Lokomotivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:12:05 pm »

I don't know how you'd work it into the interface, but I'd definitely like to see what's actually going on in battles, that's for sure.

Via the Announcement screen or row, but battle/combat messages can expand the announcement row just like in Adventure mode so you're not doomed to scroll through the black announcement screen. Also if a serious battle starts (ex: Goblin Ambushers vs Your Squad) then the announcement screen should tag/save that whole Combat announcement in some kind of tag which you can bring up and read up later if you'd like to. Tags should be named with numbers and squad name(s) so you can easily identify them, or even better you can rename them.

Here's a picture to sum this all up:

Edit:

Battle Reports can be deleted if you wish, so you don't have to scroll through a whole manly library of fights.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:21:37 pm by Lokomotivet »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 02:26:49 am »

Filters would be good -- the combat reports utility is a little annoying because you get announcements from sparring too.

But with or without filters, this needs to be an option of some kind.  It's in the dev notes as:

Bloat270, COMBAT LOGS AND EVENTS, (Future): Combat log display for dwarf mode. Tracking and grouping of combat events for larger historical events. Important specifics of a given combat event might be kept for the historical record. Combat events could be named in the legends.

But even a crappy hacked-up combat log would be a gigantic aid.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:27:10 am »

Via the Announcement screen or row, but battle/combat messages can expand the announcement row just like in Adventure mode so you're not doomed to scroll through the black announcement screen. Also if a serious battle starts (ex: Goblin Ambushers vs Your Squad) then the announcement screen should tag/save that whole Combat announcement in some kind of tag which you can bring up and read up later if you'd like to. Tags should be named with numbers and squad name(s) so you can easily identify them, or even better you can rename them.

Here's a picture to sum this all up:

Edit:

Battle Reports can be deleted if you wish, so you don't have to scroll through a whole manly library of fights.

If the battle report could be opened/closed, that would be a spectacular option.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:30:15 am »

I know this has been suggested many times.

Yeah it was, and Toady will surely implement this someday.  ;)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:23:41 am »

I still think multiple logs is the right answer.  Combat, production, personal (moods/nobles)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 04:49:15 pm »

Nothing wrong with suggesting things that have been suggested before. Toady himself says the he's fine with it, since he likes to see what people want most.

Hence the eternal voting thread.

And I'd also like to see this. Maybe as a separate announcement page altogether. I don't really need to see combat messages amongst my "Urist Craftsdwarf has withdrawn from society" messages, and I don't really want to wade trough fifty "Urist McHauler cancels store object in stockpile, forbidden area" messages while trying to see what's going on in a fight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 05:03:01 pm »

And I'd also like to see this. Maybe as a separate announcement page altogether. I don't really need to see combat messages amongst my "Urist Craftsdwarf has withdrawn from society" messages, and I don't really want to wade trough fifty "Urist McHauler cancels store object in stockpile, forbidden area" messages while trying to see what's going on in a fight.

Yes it'd be nice for filters to be put in for the announcements now as well, along with combat whenever a combat log is implemented.