Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where did my save files go?  (Read 505 times)

Hamsterman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Where did my save files go?
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:40:41 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the right section as it's likely me being stupid but I can't find my damn save files. Let me explain:

I recently got a laptop I got dwarf fortress on there and everything was fine, I usually delete my old folder when I get a new version and so I did when 40d came. However when I started up my new version of the game my saves were still somewhere as I could "Continue playing" on all my old regions. Nothing wrong with that really but now I made a lot of regions and I want to get rid of them. I looked in my dwarf fortress map but I could not find a save or saves map as I could before on my desktop pc. Is there something new about 40d that saves your games on some hidden place on your computer?

Or could it have to do with that I let my new keybindings get exported to a textfile? Did my savefiles get transfered to that textfile aswell?

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where did my save files go?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:45:50 pm »

Before trying to deal with this I think making sure of the problem is in order.
Firstly, did you delete the entire, as in everything, old dwarf fortress version you where using?
Secondly, did you install the new version over any existing files at all? (I know its a reverse of the last but this can cause alot of problems as opposed to installing to a new directory)
Finally, did you check your *dwarffort directory*/data/save  folder for your saves?

With these clarified it will be easier to work out if this is a bug or just something gone a little wierd.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:04:14 pm »

Third, are you on Vista?  I've heard DF on Vista saves its saves somewhere else.

Hamsterman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:29:32 am »

It's the vista thing then as I've deleted  my entire dwarf fortress folder multiple times. And the data/save folder doesn't even exist nor do my saves go there when I make new regions. However when I search with the search function on vista on words like save, saves, region, region1, region2 etc. I can't find it either.

Problem solved managed to find another thread about this subject when I found out it was vista that caused it. For anyone else with this problem, make sure you can see hidden folders,  Users/Myname/Appdata/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Dwarf Fortress/data/save
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:54:41 am by Hamsterman »