Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room value calculation  (Read 619 times)

teta

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN] [SPHERE:WATER]
    • View Profile
Room value calculation
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:38:52 am »

I know there have been several issues regarding overlapping rooms already, but i haven't found this special case:

Made a 5x5 bedroom with 5x5 (-1, stair) beds (7x7 room with its walls). Being a construction above ground, I added windows (clear glass masterworks, yay).

Assigning 25-1 bedrooms for the dwarfs in the completed construction (with the windows) resulted in 25-1 modest bedrooms.
But I realized, assigning the rooms before adding the windows and placing the windows then made all rooms to grand bedrooms.

So i assume, furniture placed after creation of the room add their full value to the room, even if multiple rooms are concerned. Sort of easy way to have all dwarfs happy about sleeping in a personal palace.

I also would like to see that rooms cannot overlap in any way. Like the area of new rooms doesn't span over walls and alike, they should also not be able to span over tiles already occupied by another room. That would remove all problems with overlapping... but is maybe not wanted.

So, yeah.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:43:42 am by teta »
Some mega eye-candy projects:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6018 Human city
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6201 Little Star Wars Space Ship

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Room value calculation
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:20:35 am »

What about archery ranges?  I like mine to be very long, so it'd be kind of irritating to make multiple ones, when a single one is more elegant.

And what about office/dining room/bedroom setups for the same dwarf? 
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

teta

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN] [SPHERE:WATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »

You still need one furniture item or archery target construct to define each room. The exploit is more like you can create thousands of royal rooms with only some pieces of artifact furniture/well crafted soap constructs/whatever, which would usually only be able to create exactly one royal sth-room.
And, does the quality of an archery practice thing have any effect on the sparing? Never heard of a royal archery range anyway.
And in the way you can make the rooms for multiple dwarfs, you could also make multiple rooms for one dwarf. I expect that the type of room does not matter, but usually only giving my dwarfs bedrooms, I haven't checked that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:26:57 pm by teta »
Some mega eye-candy projects:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6018 Human city
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6201 Little Star Wars Space Ship

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:41:41 pm »

You can make a royal room with a 2x1 floor space if you are really sneaky.

I hope room overlapping is never removed.  I like putting my nobles in a single area and providing each a single room space.  I put all thier requested rooms within that single space.

The old bug with room overlaps was that a design such as mine would cause furniture such as chest to be counted multiple times toward the nobles requirements.  That is fixed.

I am not quite sure if a single chest gets counted by multiple nobles if it is in an overlapped area owned by multiple nobles.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 08:06:09 pm »

Windows being removed, then added count towards room value after, but not before:

I think that's a bug.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:40:53 pm »

The bit about archery targets, as I understood it, was noting a problem with the suggestion to outright prevent rooms from overlapping.

Of course, I think it'd be more elegant if, when defining a room for an archery target, the game drew a ray out in one of the directions, and you simply chose where the ray pointed. This would not only be more accurate but also easier to use.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:41:48 pm »

Windows being removed, then added count towards room value after, but not before:

I think that's a bug.

Doors work the same way.  They're only included in room value if set as internal.  By default, they are excluded from the count, unlike walls.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.