Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armor Simplification  (Read 1246 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Armor Simplification
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:17:14 am »

Am I the only one who thinks armor is a bit awkward in Dwarf Fortress?

I'd vote for a dire simplification of the system, personally, if only for Fortress Mode. Fewer articles of clothing and an option to keep armor on when not in soldier mode. Something like this:

CLOTHES: Shirt(1), Pants(1), Shoes (1), Jewelery (up to X) (crowns, rings, amulets,etc.)

ARMOR: Armor (1), Helm (1), Leggings (1), Boots (1), Backpack (1), Quiver (1)

COVER: Hood (1), Cloak (1), Gloves (1)

Clothes stay on all the time, armor and cover can be toggled, but keeping them on all the time produces a periodic unhappy thought (uncomfortable).

Wear Armor: Always/Outside/On Duty (military)
Cover: Always/Outside
Also, individual toggles for this if it doesn't add too much more data.

Leave it at that. Not sure how much memory it eats up but it'd sure as hell make things easier on the player's side.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Simplification
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 04:23:29 am »

While your at it, how about the inventory of a creature groups the items that way too, so the clothes are all under a clothes subsection, armour under another and so on. Much like barrels in stockpiles.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:12:32 am »

I like the variety of clothing in DF. It lets civilizations and creatures be a little bit more unique and flavorful than they would be otherwise. Just saying.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:23:25 am »

The current system has some flaws, but i really like what it's aspiring to become, even though it's nowhere near that yet.

I myself like to stuff every dwarf in armor and arm them with a crossbow by designating them the hunter labor. Sure their speed goes down a lot, but a crossbow means much easier dispatching of thieves, snatchers, and the odd 5-group of goblin wrestlers.

I'm all for applying unhappy thoughts to armor/lack of armor etc.
Could be done just how drafting works. Peasants who want to stay military would be unhappy if they have no armor. Unskilled just-drafted dwarves who are unhappy in the military life would find armor cumbersome.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:51 am »

A big problem that shows up if you simplify clothing is what happens when you cut off something.  Say a dwarf looses an arm; what happens then? 

I think a solution would be to simply damage the piece of clothing.  A shirt would become an x:shirt:x
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:33:24 am by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:07:59 pm »

No way - keep the robust structure! You can already say "plate/chain/leather/none" for management purposes.

I do like the idea of additional thoughts/controls though (likes wearing armor, dislikes wearing armor, wears armor when going outside, this !!Cat leather cloak!! is itchy...).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 12:14:04 pm »

The current system is good, so I dont like your suggestion.  ;)

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 05:08:07 pm »

Maybe color coded? Blue for clothes, gray for armor, red for weapons, and yellow for anything else, like hauled?
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:39:13 pm »

Maybe color coded? Blue for clothes, gray for armor, red for weapons, and yellow for anything else, like hauled?
uh what? dwarves are already color coded, and equipment is coded after its material appearance.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 06:40:42 pm »

The current system is good, so I dont like your suggestion.  ;)

ditto.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 07:05:02 pm »

well, honestly, what good is a culture with different clothing if nobody bothers to look at what everyone is wearing? The inventory system is tedious enough - having to look through all these different articles of clothing is cumbersome and almost a waste of time. Everyone wears a mask? sorry, I drowned behind the yellow-text wall, and didn't see it. Let me just go kill the dragon and I'll be on my way.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 08:10:43 pm »

It's a background detail, and one that some people will appreciate and not others. Kind of like the hundred or so different rocks. Sure, you could just lump all non-economic rocks under a general 'rock' label and be done with it. But that kind of detail is something that a lot of us enjoy.

If you don't care about the cloths, then don't worry about who wears what. If you do, you can make sure you mandate enough togas to ensure that all your dwarves can look like little Romans. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 08:12:28 pm »

Honestly, you're complaining about not noticing textual details in a game where about eighty-seven creatures are represented by the letter "g". Of course you might not notice it, but it adds a nice amount of flavor when you realize that your dwarves all wear cloaks or that the jerk goblins assaulting you are all wearing strange leather masks.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 09:02:56 pm »

Actually, I was more complaining that there should be some way to access what someone's wearing easier.

Maybe group it by category? an option that lets it go - armor, bodywear, headwear, others, something like that? That would make it a lot easier - I can only speak for myself of course. At the moment the only thing I don't like is the jumble in the order of which one they put on.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 10:33:21 am »

Ah, ok. Yeah, I could stand an improved interface for viewing what someone is wearing/holding, too.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2