Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map Hunting  (Read 1850 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
Map Hunting
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:14:52 am »

I've decided that I want to be able to do some things in a fortress, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get the site I want to do this in.

Has anyone, under any circumstances, found a magma pipe, bottomless pit, and river/brook/underground river all within 2 spaces of each other on the embark page?

This is my main target.  It would be ultimate if there is sand and HFS nearby, but my main goal is to have these three things close to each other so I don't have to deal with a massive amount of hallways just to access my primary resources.

Also - any other epic map sites, post them here or on the wiki - I've noticed that the pregenerated maps page is stagnant, and very out of date.  most of the seeds on there are for older versions of DF, and as such probably won't generate what they say they will.  Besides, I've done a test in 40d, and using identical seeds (world gen seed, history seed, etc.) doesn't actually generate an identical world.  >.<
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Map Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:45:52 am »

There's an incredibly simple solution to finding the most epic spot of them all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just settle for what you find and use your imagination to create what you want.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:08:24 pm by Toady One »
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:22:45 am »

STOP BEING A PICKY BITCH
Seriously, how could that help in any circumstance...  ???
Has anyone, under any circumstances, found a magma pipe, bottomless pit, and river/brook/underground river all within 2 spaces of each other on the embark page?
Not personally, but I have found that generating small worlds (33x33) takes only a second, and not very long to search. You can easily create and search 10 worlds within minutes, which should get you a result eventually.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:32:07 am »

I had a 3x3 with those resources...but I got bored and deleted it. Go tweak the "SMALLER" map rules to make lots of small mountain ranges (largely you want to move the available elevations towards the center of the range) and pump the volcanism way up. To get more sand, reduce rainfall and increase the desert requirement (this will have an adverse impact on your tree supply, though). Turn off the edge ocean requirement, and the number of peaks requirement (you want lots of small mountains, no really big mountains).

After 500 map rejects, the game will tell you why it's having problems making your world, which will give you some idea why your map settings are invalid. This is one good reason to use pocket/smaller worlds, since they generate (and fail to generate) much faster.

Once you have something generating reliably, you just make a world, run the finder, look at the results, and start over until you have something you like. Certainly a lot better than the old days.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:12 am »

There's an incredibly simple solution to finding the most epic spot of them all.

Why are you getting your panties in a wad over how someone else plays the game? Get over yourself and stop insulting other people.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:38:21 am »

I must say I'm surprised to find that the very first reply to this is a blatant troll, complete with text size changes to make it even more obnoxious.

I had a 3x3 with those resources...but I got bored and deleted it. Go tweak the "SMALLER" map rules to make lots of small mountain ranges (largely you want to move the available elevations towards the center of the range) and pump the volcanism way up. To get more sand, reduce rainfall and increase the desert requirement (this will have an adverse impact on your tree supply, though). Turn off the edge ocean requirement, and the number of peaks requirement (you want lots of small mountains, no really big mountains).

After 500 map rejects, the game will tell you why it's having problems making your world, which will give you some idea why your map settings are invalid. This is one good reason to use pocket/smaller worlds, since they generate (and fail to generate) much faster.

Once you have something generating reliably, you just make a world, run the finder, look at the results, and start over until you have something you like. Certainly a lot better than the old days.
I'll take a shot at that.  If I can find something, I'll try to put it up on the wiki so others who want such a site can have it - assuming I manage to gen one.  The only issue there is that I'm so unfamiliar with the world-gen settings, but that's my own fault for not playing with them....
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...