Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor suggestions  (Read 782 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Minor suggestions
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:03 pm »

A couple little things i thought of.

Have a job at the jeweler's workshop to 'Top Scepter With Large Gem'. It will take a scepter and a large gem and combine it into a single product, 'ruby topped golden scepter' or whatever you use in it. Decorations would be separate i.e. 'The ruby cap is adorned with hanging rings of giant rat bone. The golden haft menaces with spikes of felsite.'

Not incredibly useful but it could be enchanted or something once magic gets in while regular sceptres wouldn't be enchantable. Or something. It would be useful to concentrate a bit of your wealth to marginally save stockpile space.

Another minor suggestion:

Have creatures in cages display their gender. Also dwarves in the 'u'nits screen. Would make organizing/micromanagement that much easier. If for example you only want male war dogs so the puppies don't cluster around their chain (and scare off kobolds before they can get their limbs ripped off).
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minor suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:12:41 pm »

I believe Toady has a grand idea to have all items with slots for putting stuff in. Like skull idols haveing jewels in each eye-socket, or crowns having gems for each spike on the top.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:31:38 pm »

On the second point, how about we number all units that aren't otherwise distinguishable? So when you're looking at the list of 14 puppies in that one cage, since none of them have names you'd instead see:

Puppy #1 (female)
Puppy #2 (female)
Puppy #3 (male)
Puppy #13 (pre-operative transgender)
Puppy #14 (male)

And this would naturally show up on the units screen and the animals tab too.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:46 pm »

Well, this is a pretty minor suggestion I just thought of-

Make "Process Raw Fish" an Auto-toggleable workshop option, like weaving and butchering.  Keeping track of fish-cleaning without flooding yourself with cancellations would be nice.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 10:18:19 pm »

Same for fat.  Seriously, is there anything that raw fat is used for other than rendering?
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:16:40 am »

I use it for grossing out elves.
"How about this pine barrel of animal fat? No?"
An auto- for a lot of things would be handy (i.e. process plants/ to bags/ to barrels).
And someway to differentiate cages; I have to build and suspend several palm cages before I get to the one with the goblin in it.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:22 am »

An auto- for a lot of things would be handy (i.e. process plants/ to bags/ to barrels).
And someway to differentiate cages; I have to build and suspend several palm cages before I get to the one with the goblin in it.

When you are selecting the cage, press 'x' it will then list each cage individually and allow you to select the goblin cage ...

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:53:10 am »

Puppy #13 (pre-operative transgender)
requesting this for dwarves
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:30:45 am »

When you are selecting the cage, press 'x' it will then list each cage individually and allow you to select the goblin cage ...
Huh, thanks.
So thats what those little words at the bottom of the screen are for.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 11:21:34 am »

Auto-Process Plant (Barrel) would be problematic for people who for some unknown reason actually want Dwarven Sugar instead of Dwarven Syrup. Same if you want Ale instead of Pig Tail Thread for Process Plant. Auto-milling would also be a problem for those who wanted to use their wheat for Beer instead of Flour.

Edit: typo fix.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 01:22:13 pm »

Auto-process would also be problematic in that it would have to decide which type of processing to do first.  Not a big problem, mind you, but still that much more of a hassle when some pig tail thread - and not forty bags of quarry bush leaves - is the difference between "Killtastic 9000, an artifact steel battle axe" and your weaponsmith beating his puppy to death.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.