Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40a] Weird merchant activity triggers fortress-wide strike?  (Read 505 times)

IceCreamEmperor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40a] Weird merchant activity triggers fortress-wide strike?
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:02:05 pm »

Okay, so the issue is that my dwarves seem to have given up on work -- but not all work, just a seemingly random subsection of tasks. They will mine, construct buildings, move items to stockpiles, and fish -- but they won't operate a furnace, dump refuse, or basically do anything that requires a workshop.

Edit: As I was investigating the details I realised the problem: every single workshop in my fortress had been marked Forbidden. Including the Trade Depot -- but it's still not clear when or why that happened, and whether it relates to the trigger events listed below.

Possible trigger event:

A dwarven caravan arrived not too long ago -- the first few wagons and merchants piled all their stuff onto my accessible Trade Depot, but then I got the 'merchants require a trade depot to trade goods' (or whatever) message. The one you normally get when merchants show up and you haven't built a Depot yet. When I looked at the Depot, it appeared that there simply wasn't enough space on the Depot tiles for the last merchant/donkey to fit/unload his stuff. I tried mining out some space around the depot in case it was a pathing issue, but no dice.

Anyways this didn't seem to be interfering with anything, trading options were still available -- but then a few minutes later I noticed that all the merchants seemed to be leaving (presumably because the last guy couldn't find a depot). All the stuff they had already placed in the depot was abandoned, and they wandered off without any sort of message.

Perhaps this somehow relates to the mass-forbidding of all my workshops (which I certainly do not remember instigating myself.) Or maybe that happened separately, resulting in the Depot being forbidden just as the last merchant was showing up?

--

Reclaiming the workshops seems to have fixed that issue but my dwarves still aren't dumping items. Could get messy.

Edit: Nevermind, not a bug. Just an excessively liberal use of the Stocks menu having some unintended consequences (I forbade the use of certain stone. Apparently this also forbids the use of any workshops built with that stone.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:11:04 pm by IceCreamEmperor »