Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Close Shave  (Read 2305 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Close Shave
« on: September 17, 2008, 03:51:51 pm »

My current fortress just had a near-death experience.  I have modded into the game several races, such as some trap-avoid arachnids.  This didn't matter so much because I had no traps up yet either.  Just my 7 dwarves, alone.

In fall of that year, goblins attacked and arachnoids sent some thieves.  The dwarven caravan made short work of them.  I should have taken the hint.  Come winter, the next wave of attacks comes, but I hadn;t put up defenses.  They offed two dwarves before the rest got themselves appropriately armored and attacked back.  But now, it's getting far too late... soon, spring arrived.  Two of the five are injured.

In spring, one wave of goblins attacked and took out the elven caravan.  The second wave, arachnoids, took out some dwarves.  And suddenly, a spawn of marksgoblins in the middle of it all.  They left without bounty but with three dwarven lives, leaving one with an injured leg, and one fine.  Down to two dwarves.  But not all the enemies are gone.  I try to use the one dwarf that can still walk to finish the fort wall.  The wall is sucessful, but now he needs mechanisms for traps.  He makes mechanisms... and the only remaining animal spots an ambush party of arachnoids in the base.  There is only one option left: try to wall himself in, or fight to the death.  I tried to wall him in, to wait for them to leave.  They inturrupted him, and he started fighting.  He killed several, but now they are attacking the injured dwarf who was injured all the way up in the booze stockpile (Suspicious, but I am pretty sure he really was injured).  Since he is unconscious, the injured dwarf cannot fight back.  Healthy dwarf to the rescue!  The arachnoid is killed, but not without mortally wounding the healthy dwarf, who dies.

I had one dwarf left.  He was miserable, starving, unconscious, and thirsty.  I don't know which happened more recently, feeding or being given water, but either way, it's a race to see which killed him first.  His status:
Lokum Melbilthikut:
Uninjured:
Lower Body
Head
Left Upper Leg
Right Lower Leg
Right Foot
All Organs
Injured:
Upper Body
Right Upper Leg
Cut off:
Both arms and all things attached to them.
Left lower leg and all attachments
Both soulders

So despite losing both arms including the shoulders, and one lower leg, he sustained no life-threatening injuries.  All I could do now was wait... would there be another ambush?  Starvation?  Thirst? ... Insanity?

I wait... and wait... and his condition worsens... Then the seasons changed.  "Some migrants have arrived".  I was possibly moments away from complete fort disaster!  But the fort was saved!  Industry is back up and running... and Lokum lays in a bed, being fed and watered.  The hero of this fort.  He has yet to kill a single goblin...

All I wonder about him is what will happen if he ever gets a mood.  He has 1 and a half legs as his total limb inventory.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Close Shave
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:59:44 pm »

That's one badass dwarf o_O.

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:02:53 pm »

In fact, his bad ass is all he really has left . . .

Oh!  Oh.  I'm sorry.  That was terrible.

But yeah, that's about as close a shave as they come.  No doubt the migrants were all Soapmakers galore?

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 04:04:50 pm »

I wish close calls like this were easier to have in this game, as they certainly are exciting. I fell like most of the time in this game everything is either 100% OK or instantly doomed.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 05:26:08 pm »

Wow, that truly is an awesome story.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:30:50 pm »

This may be the frist time some was happy that the soapmaker rush came.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:34:07 pm »

I'm always happy to get the first few immigrant waves. Big projects require lots of dwarfpower!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:33:36 pm »

I'm willing to bet that dwarf is going to go beserk soon, happened to one of my guys who lost a leg. Went beserk (he was drowsy for a long time probably from the pain in his leg so no sleep) and the nearby marksdwarves started shooting, somehow he survives and goes into a marshal trance (I about feel out of my chair laughing) then a training hammerdwarf stepped up and hit him into the wall.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:47:01 pm »

A berserk dwarf with no legs or arms?  ;D

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:31:55 pm »

Actually he is not suffering pain.  The wounded parts are taking a long time to heal, it's been about a year, but he is sleeping well, and being fed.  I am keeping him alive for novelty's sake: he saved the fortress, and furthermore, he's the one dwarf that will never cost much CPU power, since he'll probably never be doing any pathfinding.

As a side note, I renamed him Rollo.  I thought it somewhat appropriate.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 11:48:13 pm »

How do you tell if they're in pain?

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 11:55:12 pm »

Hardcore as hell. Say, since he was the only dwarf left alive, does that make him your expedition leader?  I suppose he could use his social skills without appendages, right?
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 01:00:23 am »

Have him be the broker for a while. It will be VERY funny if he gets strong enough to move around freely and out of pain.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 03:34:25 am »

I had a dwarf with missing limbs get a mood once.  He managed to stumble about 8 squares all up towards a workshop before he went beserk.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 07:02:37 am »

Mood failed: No arms?  ;D
Pages: [1] 2