Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Action: "According to need" and Broker's Super Power!  (Read 2884 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: New Action: "According to need" and Broker's Super Power!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 11:46:55 am »

The idea of there being MANDATES for 40 socks kind of bugs me. That implies that our clothiers get whacked by the hammerer if they fail for some reason. A perfect example would be mandates for full clothing for 20 dwarves. Thats well over a hundred cloth needed, at a minimum (depends on what clothing is considered optional). It may not be possible to actually make all those items before the mandate would go red. Especially if you don't have that much cloth on hand.

I think a list of required items for the fort would be good, with more of a "people will be unhappy, or we're missing key things if you don't make these" sort of feel. Rather then the sense of "Make this or else!" that mandates have. After all, if dwarves get unhappy about wearing ratty or no cloths, I don't need to be further punished for not making enough.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:05:52 pm »

I like this idea, since it would reduce the micromanagement a bit.
However if we talk about weapons and armors, I would like to see this being implemented also:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23784.0

Automated equipping can stay, but I would like to equip my dwarves "manually" sometime, and I guess everyone would like to be able to do it also.  ;)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 01:19:11 pm »

I'd like to offer a different approach to the issue.

What if we could set raw materials to be takeable by the dwarves? For example, you could set (in the stock screen most likely) diorite boulders to be available for dwarves to take as long as there are at least 1000 rocks in your fortress.

Why would we want to do that? Well, let's say that a noble wants a diorite bracelet. He could go to a craftdwarf's shop and ask for one to be made. A stonecrafter would take a diorite boulder if there are any available and produce a bracelet out of it. The noble would come and buy the bracelet and everyone is happy.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 02:24:15 pm »

Nice idea DJ

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 03:40:32 pm »

If Toady could implement AI that does this, it could indeed be used to make 'a game that plays itself.'

However, this could be a good thing because it would let the non-player controlled parts of the world exhibit more advanced behaviours and seem more alive. 

In my mind, all this will eventually interact with the economy and the caravan arc to create a dynamic system whereby commodities are manufactured, traded and transported so as to cater for demand over the entire world.  A NPC village would make some of its requirements itself (after its bookkeeper figured out what was needed) and bargain with caravans for the rest.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 05:16:57 pm »

Well it is kinda sad... that for many people... The Dwarves making Armor, Weapons, Food, Alcohol, and Clothes according to what the Dwarves have shortages and needs on... Is to them "The Game"

It is sad that managing armies, attacking other fortresses, preparing for sieges, laying traps, setting up rooms, dealing with mandates, building machines, stopping megabeasts, trading, protecting yourself from seiges, melting the mass amount of goblin objects, forbidding corpses, engraving, digging, making workshops, decorating, creating farms, stopping floods, killing nobility, training hounds, setting sentery points, prospecting, closing off HFC, Closing off Chasms, flooding the Lava ponds, and all that... Isn't part of the game

Honestly... I cannot understand how micromanaging armor and clothes EVER managed to eclypsed the game... That is a serious problem

This suggestion isn't asking the game to play for you...

It is asking it to deal with the bulk of the annoyings, namely finding shortages via looking at every dwarf in the fortress, setting the game to start building... So you can deal with the more important, and frankly the more fun, aspects of Dwarf Fortress. Which is the Dwarves and the Fortress
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:19:16 pm by Neonivek »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 05:30:01 pm »

::hands Neonivek a tissue, and breaks out the violin....a very small, alunite violin that menaces with spikes of melodrama::

There is middle ground to be found.

Several opponents of the core idea have cited examples where some automation would be acceptable.
By the same token, several supporters have taken your idea and extended it to more automation.
If we compromise, we can find center. Or...we can just give monologues to each other.

To me the OP is NEAR the center, as long as I am the one (the player) that has to go to the manager to command him/her to start 30 MAKE PLANT FIBER SOCKS jobs. If the Record Keeper gave me the prompt to do so, I'm fine with that. In non-player forts (which I doubt seriously will ever run at the detail player forts do) the system would be 100% automated by definition.

End products of a supply chain should be prompted by the player. More automation on the raw materials side is much more open, assuming that the degree of control is limited. There should be advantage in micromanaging (and not just a slight advantage).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 07:10:42 pm »

::hands Neonivek a tissue, and breaks out the violin....a very small, alunite violin that menaces with spikes of melodrama::

But my favorited material is Microline...

*Mandates Microline Violin*

The comprimise I am willing to make... is a "Create suit" command for Armor and Clothes!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:19:19 pm by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 07:51:25 pm »

Before any of this is implemented, I would like to see dwarves cleaning up their old suits of clothes and picking them up off the ground. It would be really nice if after dwarves went and picked up new clothes they threw away the old ones. Or maybe if there was some sort of recycle option, that would work like melting armor down, except it would create plant and silk thread.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]