Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did you know something absolutely menacing with awesome?  (Read 2177 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did you know something absolutely menacing with awesome?
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:26:33 am »

Did you know that its possible to embark on an area with mountain features like adamantine or a chasm and non-mountain features like a river or a lake?
If everyone already knows this then i'm going to look like so much of a fool right about now.
And if its not actually possible then i created one hell of a weird world.

First one to create a 6 tile mountain divided by a River with a waterfall, like this:
Code: [Select]
LRP
ARM
CRU

L= Underground Lake
R= River or Main river
P= Pit
A= Adamantine
M= Magma pipe
C= Chasm
U= underground river

-or something similar-

gets a million internets.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know something absolutely menacing with awesome?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:36:04 am »

Ummmm. Why wouldn't that be common knowledge?

You can embark anywhere as long as not all the tiles are mountain or ocean/lake. You can even embark on a map that has a magma pipe, a magma pool, an underground river, and underground lake, a chasm, a bottomless pit, a main river, HFS, and a cave. Just good luck finding such a spot in a reasonable size.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:57:36 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:47:11 am »

Maybe you are somewhat missing the point? I'm not talking about being able to embark anywhere (except only water/mountain tiles), i'm talking about the possibility of a map to have, well, everything, and not just for example a conveniently placed brook.
Simplified:
Did you ever embarked on a map (or even found a map) which had, say, a chasm next to, say, a minor river?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:50:34 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:42 am »

Ummmm. Why wouldn't that be common knowledge?

You can embark anywhere as long as not all the tiles are mountain or ocean/lake. You can even embark on a mapthat has a magma pipe, a magma pool, an underground river, and underground lake, a chasm, a bottomless pit, a main river, HFS, and a cave. Just good luck finding such a spot in a reasonable size.

Let's not forget sand, flux and lots of iron ore. Otherwise the magma is quite useless. Except for the magma deathtrap. Or the Obsidian deathtrap. Or the Steam deathtrap.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:58:43 am »

Maybe you are somewhat missing the point? I'm not talking about being able to embark anywhere (except only water/mountain tiles), i'm talking about the possibility of a map to have, well, everything, and not just for example a conveniently placed brook.
Simplified:
Did you ever embarked on a map (or even found a map) which had, say, a chasm next to, say, a minor river?

How is it that i'm missing that point? I just made an example which included every single feature possible (sand, iron ore, flux aren't features).

Also, i have embarked on an area with a minor river and a chasm.

And steam isn't deadly anymore.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:00:28 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:13:20 am »

Ok, then i'm officially blown away, cause i made tens upon tens of worlds and i never ever found mountain features on a non-mountain tile together with for example a river (instead of a brook).
Either by some very weird way i never came across it or infact even made a single world having this, or you are confusing brook with minor river. Are you absolutely positive you ever embarked on a non-mountain tile (in the region display) which had any mountain features?
More strange things is that i have tons of mountain tiles that are featureless. I even have a volcano which doesn't have any magma on the entire map. This can't be coincidence, can it?

edit: Here it is if you want to see for yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look at where the large good region is.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:44:55 am by Doppel »

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:15:53 am »

Your target is impossible, not because mountain features exist on non mountain (region) space, they do as you've just discovered, but because an underground pool or river must be one (local, not region) mountain space away from non-mountain terrain. So it is possible to get:

LPR
AMR
UCR

But not:

LRp
arm
cRU

Because the highlighted bit is impossible... I think...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:26:55 am »

You don't get mountain features like adamantine, underground rivers, or chasms on non-mountain regions, even if those regions have mountain tiles. But yes, you can pack every single mountain feature in next to each other and get that close enough to the edge of the mountain range to be able to include non-mountainous squares, thus letting you embark.

For example, I have a fort in a 3x3 area that includes a magma pipe, underground lake, underground river, and adamantine (and sand and trees in the non-mountain section). Granted the underground river is the smallest I've ever seen, but it is there, and that's what counts.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 01:15:29 pm »

But Derakon, thats the whole point, i just did. Look at my cursor in the region, its not on a mountain tile, its on a river (stream in this case) tile. Again, its not about being able to pack every mountain feature into a tiny space, Its about having mountain features in region tiles next to mountain tiles. And i for one didn't know this was possible.
(I made a few more random worlds and looked over them, not one of them has mountain features on a regional tile next to a regional mountain tile, which makes me wonder if this is a bug or not)

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "ezum Boltlove, Hale Disemboweler of Direction"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 01:32:22 pm »

For example, I have a fort in a 3x3 area that includes a magma pipe, underground lake, underground river, and adamantine (and sand and trees in the non-mountain section). Granted the underground river is the smallest I've ever seen, but it is there, and that's what counts.

i've been looking for just such a place in a 3x3, is there a way to share that world map?

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 04:01:51 pm »

And i for one didn't know this was possible.
(I made a few more random worlds and looked over them, not one of them has mountain features on a regional tile next to a regional mountain tile, which makes me wonder if this is a bug or not)

I don't think it's a bug - I've def. had it happen as well. It _is_ wicked rare though- I usually don't care about having a river instead of a brook so I don't look for it specifically, but I would wager less than 10% of worlds even have 1 square like that.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 07:52:45 pm »

Hmm both times I gen'd the world I come with results similar to yours but the accual terrain in that spot is different, same exact place when I gen'd again as the first time.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:05:35 pm »

But Derakon, thats the whole point, i just did. Look at my cursor in the region, its not on a mountain tile, its on a river (stream in this case) tile. Again, its not about being able to pack every mountain feature into a tiny space, Its about having mountain features in region tiles next to mountain tiles. And i for one didn't know this was possible.

The river intersects with the mountain. It counts as both.

Nethras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 09:08:56 pm »

The river intersects with the mountain. It counts as both.

That was my suspicion, every mountain area with a stream running through it has had the full complement of mountain stuff just like normal in my experience.  River would be rarer, but possible as you've found.

Hmm both times I gen'd the world I come with results similar to yours but the accual terrain in that spot is different, same exact place when I gen'd again as the first time.

Game version may affect world gen results, could that be it?