Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Megaconstrucation: Fire Ocean  (Read 2932 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaconstrucation: Fire Ocean
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 08:36:14 pm »

Unfortuantly, this map is mostly devoid of gems and minerals.  It's getting to the point where I'm worried about my rough gem supply for my moods. T-T  I dig deeper, but I can only seem to find more and more rock.  Even the phyllite layer seems suspiciously devoid of gems.

Goblins = iron!

Alternatively, you could simply rob the human and dwarven caravan guards. Create a dump zone next to the depot, then go in and mark all of their steel and iron equipment for dumping. Your dwarves will run out and strip them of their armor and weapons, putting it in the adjacent dump zone. Reclaim it, and they'll move it back into your regular weapon, ammo, and armor stockpiles.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 05:39:59 am »

Hahahahaha "what are you doing?" "sorry sir no weapons or armor beyond this point!" "uhh wheres our armor? what do you mean you lost it?!"

Always remember before unleashing the magma, GO OVER EVERY STEP OF YOUR PLAN! do you have a way of pauseing this? could you want it in the future? Theres nothing like watching all that water/magma flow then realize, crap i forgot to do something....

I friggin love the idea of a series of towers in a sea of lava- totally self sufficient below ground fortress with a single heavily defended impregnable entrance. I usually build a single entrance surrounded by a big U of surface keeps which is fun but FRIGGIN MAGMA! and theres always annoying sieges outside my walls just staring in anger at my massive keep while wave after wave dies on the traps. You should try a 2x2 map and see if you can find a proper location, i only run 3x3's atm and the difference is huge with my FPS never dropping below 30 at 300 dwarves where it was at 10 with 110 dwarves on a 6x6 map.

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 04:43:34 pm »

-Flood the valley with lava. 1z level thick in some places 2 in others.

Unless every single square of magma is at least 2 z levels, it will start evaporating.
Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 05:18:14 pm »

-Flood the valley with lava. 1z level thick in some places 2 in others.

Unless every single square of magma is at least 2 z levels, it will start evaporating.

1z level is 7 deep.  It won't evaporate unless it's only 1 deep, and stays that way for a relatively long time.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 05:19:11 pm »

Always remember before unleashing the magma, GO OVER EVERY STEP OF YOUR PLAN!

Never think.  Just do.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »

Always remember before unleashing the magma, GO OVER EVERY STEP OF YOUR PLAN!

Never think.  Just do.

Mr. Miyagi/Yoda never dealt with an ocean of burning death. Well, perhaps Yoda. And Mr. Miyagi did live on volcanic islands...

Bah, they never figured their students would have to deal with such things. I'm sure Vader would avoid lava pits like the plague.

Crewman: Lord Vader, it appears the 498th fell into a magma pool...
 Vader: NEVER SPEAK OF THAT GEOLOGICAL FEATURE AGAIN! I'll CHOKE you with the mechanical limbs that were given to me after the magma took my first ones!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 12:43:59 pm »

So are you saying that the ultimate rebel base is on a lavaworld?
The irony.

So, update:  the brook has been floored off, and I've just begun working on my fortifications for the middle. Goblins have managed to make things difficult by throwing their entire civilization at me, and thanks to how I have my fortress set up, the few elite bowgobs that didnt get trapped had a fun time shooting at those civilians doing the entrance dance while my military seemed to want to go get something to drink.  Thankfully, the siege was over before any lasting damage could be done, with the loss of my only one of my legendary miners.  On the flip side, my execution pit has 60 new goblins to shoot at, including a mortally wounded hammer lord. Gleefully, I can see my marksdwarf squad hitting professional soon. :D
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.
Pages: 1 [2]