Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rock Bolts  (Read 1219 times)

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
Rock Bolts
« on: September 16, 2008, 07:27:20 pm »

Are they possible? If so, how? I tried adding the  [SHARP] Tag, alongside [AMMO] with a damage percentage, so... do I have to create the item? Or what?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Bolts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:11:41 pm »

I believe it's fixed by adding the [CAN_STONE]-tag to the bolt entry.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:14:12 pm »

[SHARP] is for the stone matgloss. It's only on obsidian right now.

So if you add [CAN_STONE] to bolts you'll be able to make obsidian bolts.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:09:03 pm »

Friggin' awesome.  Steel-equvalent rock bolts.  *goes to modding*

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:13:36 pm »

Wait, Doesn't that meant that you would still have to waste some wood to make them? Or have the can_stone weapons changed?

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 06:15:52 pm »

Hrm. I've added [SHARP] and [AMMO] To Andesite (My excessive rock source) and I can make swords out of it (wewt). I've also added [CAN_STONE] to bolts, but I can't find where to make them. It's not on the crafting workshop menu or, for that matter, the masonry workshop menu. Any ideas?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:29:53 pm »

Sounds hard-coded to me.  You'll have to either make a smelter reaction (and thus all stone bolts will have base quality) or go without.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:43:54 pm »

Try using the indirect method. I have a reaction set up where I can turn 5 of any random stone into 1 iron bar. If you have magma you can easily set up a large number of smelters to eat up all of that rock while at the same time getting your metal industry up and running.

Then the bonus with magma and iron bolts is you can melt down the single bolts, leading to an ever increasing supply of metal.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 11:38:41 pm »

Then the bonus with magma and iron bolts is you can melt down the single bolts, leading to an ever increasing supply of metal.

I know the amount of metal you get back from something is proportional to the amount required to make it.  You make 25 bolts with 1 bar, so I assumed it took 50-75 bolts to get 1 bar back, so I never melted bolts.  How many individual bolts does it actually take to produce a bar?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 12:40:20 am »

I know the amount of metal you get back from something is proportional to the amount required to make it.  You make 25 bolts with 1 bar, so I assumed it took 50-75 bolts to get 1 bar back, so I never melted bolts.  How many individual bolts does it actually take to produce a bar?
I don't know how many it takes, but I do know that if you melt down 25 exactly you get slightly less than one bar. The loss is very small, but it still exists.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 02:26:04 am »

A stack of bolts is considered to be one item, regardless of how many bolts are actually in that stack. I believe you get back 33% of the metal from melting an object. Thus, while it takes 1 bar of metal to make a stack of 25 bolts, if you melt down 25 individual bolts (25 stacks of 1 bolt each), you'll get 8.3 bars of metal.

Hence, if you have adamantine, make adamantine bolts!  ;D

This only works if you have either magma or ample fuel supplies, of course, as melting down those 25 individual bolts would take 25 smelting operations, which means 25 fuel.