Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playing as a Kobold civilization?  (Read 3981 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing as a Kobold civilization?
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:42:22 pm »

Is it possible?
And what would one have to do to make it possible?

edit: added a question mark.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:49:44 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as a Kobold civilization?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:55:20 pm »

Add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]-tag to the Kobold entity entry. To make sure you will play with Kobolds, delete the same tag from Dwarves. Otherwise the game will randomly choose on of the two entities at random.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 04:40:36 pm »

Has there been any talk by Toady of making this a full feature of the game (i.e. not a modification)?  And if we're getting into generalized fantasy... where are the orcs?
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:45:24 pm »

Has there been any talk by Toady of making this a full feature of the game (i.e. not a modification)?  And if we're getting into generalized fantasy... where are the orcs?

Just a little mod away. Or a download. I believe there is a mod with orcs.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:46:19 pm »

Oh, is that the only thing you have to do?
In what ways do they differ from playing as a dwarven civ?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:51:56 pm »

well, kobolds are (small) so they will do less damage and die easier. beyond that? im not sure what they can do as a civ.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:49 pm »

Can't find where it is. Sorry, i haven't done stuff like this yet.

Dwarfs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kobolds:

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:52 pm »

Add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]-tag to the Kobold entity entry. To make sure you will play with Kobolds, delete the same tag from Dwarves. Otherwise the game will randomly choose on of the two entities at random.

It's not random. You can switch by changing civs, just like changing civs with only dwarve available. Press tab a couple times and you can change civs, it lists all available [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] races without distinguishing them.

But only add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to kobolds after world gen if you want any dwarves in your world.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:11 pm »

Relevant entity raws for Kobolds:
Same entity raws for dwarves:

Oh, that's all found in the entity_default text file, by the way.
You will be able to do a lot less Stuff, including masonry, farming, wood cutting, metal working...the list goes on. But you can fix that! I suggest reading the wiki page, then looking through the tokens and selecting the ones you want to make the game playable, but kobolds still distinct.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:11:50 pm by 1138 »

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:11:45 pm »

Oh doh, now i've found the entity raw. Thanks for the info.
edit: Did anyone already did this and made the Kobolds into an interesting but distinct civ?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:20:42 pm by Doppel »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:12:07 pm »

I have tried this with adding the civ tag to every race.

Kobolds are still considered creatures, and thus you can't assign them jobs unless you add some tag I don't know. Also, they sometimes eat bones and choke.

Other than that, I don't know. I used Nano Fortress with Embark Anywhere on a previous fortress, so a LOT of odd stuff happened.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:13:53 pm »

Kobolds are still considered creatures, and thus you can't assign them jobs unless you add some tag I don't know. Also, they sometimes eat bones and choke.

Other than that, I don't know. I used Nano Fortress with Embark Anywhere on a previous fortress, so a LOT of odd stuff happened.

Probably [CAN_SPEAK]. Can't really give orders when there's no language.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:20:27 pm »

Probably [CAN_SPEAK]. Can't really give orders when there's no language.

Quite likely. After seeing that I had no miner and no way of designating jobs, I recruited everybody except the bucher. Quite a bit of meat with constant respawns of fresh animals.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 06:47:26 pm »

Nah I dont think that we will see new civs added into the vanilla game. Modding can solve this "problem".
Yeah Ive also missed the Orcs [my favourite fantasy race  ;D], Im going to mod them in when I start to work on my TC mod.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:35 pm »

Well, Toady is basing DF loosely on Tolkien, so there isn't really any difference between goblins and orcs in that setting.

One of these days I'm going to try playing as a civ other then dwarves. Someday...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2