Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where do you place YOUR cage traps?  (Read 1644 times)

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Where do you place YOUR cage traps?
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:57 pm »

So I've decided to set up a bunch of cage traps in hopes of catching various wildlife with which to sell.
Now, I'm not sure what a good place to put the cage traps are would be...so I decided to ask here.
Where do you guys put your cage traps (other then at choke points in case of invasion)?
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you place YOUR cage traps?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:22:48 pm »

Randomly. Or everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Not a single trapable tile may remain untrapped. This way you're certain.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:28:10 pm »

Hi!

Unfortunately, wildlife roving seems to be more or less random, so there is no really good spot (like for instance a water source if drinking had been simulated by the wildlife). The only exceptions among normal wildlife seem to be racoons and macaques who will try to get close to stuff to steal, so making a finished good stockpile outside and surrounding it with cage traps would catch them.

With normal wildlife, there is a tendency to avoid your dwarves, so usually, you would want to place your traps somewhat away from your main activity zones.

Beyond that, there is very little you can do to increase your chances. One thing you can try is to start out with laying lines of traps, one directly next to the other. That way, you would at least catch something if the animals crossed that line in any way.

Deathworks

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:58:09 pm »

If you dig a channel around the perimeter of the map and leave a couple trapped choke points, you'll catch pretty much anything and everything that ever wanders on to your map.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:28:07 pm »

I sometimes trap the whole boarder of my maps.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:45:37 pm »

I usually construct an exterior crafts/funature storage facility to clear away the clutter in my fortress. I make a two tile wide two tile long choke point and fill it with cage traps. Every animal I've ever captured (read: Raccoons and Monkeys) were from these traps. It works pretty well since tradegoods are basically raccoon bait.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 07:09:41 pm »

Place a small "group" of traps randomly over the map, chances are most of the herd will get caught in it.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:58:45 pm »

I dig a few minor chokepoints by removing walls, or making a small channel if need be, then a loose cluster of traps in around the choke point. Usually, a herd of animals will roam through to get to where they are going, and i'll catch some, but not all of them. It's how i got my fort filled with Elephants, rhesus, goblin snatchers, groundhogs, and a cougar, among other things.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:46:01 pm »

If you have multiple biomes in your area, you might be able to identify a general area where animals tend to hang out.  Then you can do what the others have mentioned in that specific area.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:54:23 pm »

I place 'em randomly near clumps of trees. I don't want anybody to think "Oh, traps in that direction." I want them to think "There MIGHT be traps in that direction."

Give 'em something to fear!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:21:32 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Stregone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:10:06 pm »

If your map is very hilly you can remove ramps to create choke points too.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 09:34:02 pm »

Lately I've only been placing a few cage traps in my entrance for the purpose of advancing the Megabeast Breeding Project. 
Last time I tried it, I got bored too quickly, and I'm hoping there is a breeding pair of some sort, since I didn't check the legends beforehand..
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 09:39:23 pm »

I tend to think "Since any dangerous foe will instantly head for my fortress, I'll place a number of cage traps around there".

My fortresses usually consist of a outside wall with a drawbridge, around the drawbridge on both the inside and outside of the exterior wall I'll place cage traps. The fort I've got at the moment has got two bridges protecting the... uh... chewy centre so there's weapon traps around the outer bridge and cage traps around the interior bridge.

Edit: Like so
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:43:37 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 10:18:25 pm »

If you have multiple biomes in your area, you might be able to identify a general area where animals tend to hang out.  Then you can do what the others have mentioned in that specific area.

That. In my current fort I noticed that most of my wildife wandered in from the South. I put one trap in that area, and before I knew it I had run out of cages to load it with.

Fun minigame: Dwarven Roundup!
How to play:
1. Build a smallish section of funnel-shaped wall, with either cage traps or a corrall at the end of a corridor.
2. Activate the military and set them to "stay close to post" or whatever it says
3. Find the nearest herd of horses (or benign herd animal of your choice)
4. Station your dwarves so that they gradually herd the animals into your traps/corrall (animals will scatter at the approach of your dwarves, so you have to be careful and subtle with this and use multiple military units to surround them)
5. ???
6. Profit!

I have never been successful at this game.  ;D

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 03:00:16 am »

Surround the entire map with a trench 1 tile away from the edge leaving a aingle 3 tile wide(or 4 if you suffer from OCD and want to maintain symmetry) entrace for caravans etc. Trap the hell out of the chokepoint. Make the trench accessible from inside to collect everything that falls in and to catch wildlife that tries to move into it. I reccomend 2 layers of 10x masterfull steel spiked balls behind them to act as buffer should you be zerged. That should puncture everything that can take damage if something gets across.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: [1] 2