Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to make a training dummy.  (Read 1934 times)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want to make a training dummy.
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:36:51 am »

Ok this might sound odd but after the results I got from catching a bronze colossus and keeping it in a 1x1 room walled with fortifications I want to experiment with beasts which can be used for training soldiers other than marksdwarfs without risk.

What I want to know: is there a way of creating a creature which is slow and almost impossible to kill but which can be trapped in cages and which can deal almost no damage.
I want to make certain I encounter it fairly often when I build a fort in any biome. Might I have problems with such a creature being wiped out during world gen? 

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make a training dummy.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:56:41 am »

From what I recall, the non-megabeast creatures are simply created at the end of world gen. Give the beast no attacks but plenty of health and a [DAM_BLOCK] 1000 (I think that's the right tag) this makes them invincible but unable to attack.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:01:08 am »

Make it with a high speed and a high damblock tag. Make it small with the size tag to minimize the damage and don't put any attack tags in it. Put it in all biomes and have it occur frequently and in large groups. No sleep, pain, hunger, bleeding, nausea, breathing, stunning or thirst are always handy.

EDIT: Actually a good idea. I'll give it a try.

EDIT2: Here you go. I made the trainable so they can be used as a distraction when enormous enemies attack. That's also why I added some other tags to make the sturdier in case of GCS, dragons, HFS... Add this to any random creature file. You don't even have to make a new BODY-entry. I've only tested in Adventure mode, and it survived a cougar attack. I tried to retaliate and I could neither attack nor wrestle the thing. If there are any complications in Fortress mode, just let me know and I'll try to figure out what went wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:32:40 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 09:59:54 am »

I thank you good sir!
My attempts at creatures tend to be sins against nature.
Is there a tag for the super fast healing of colossai? or do they just seem to heal fast because it's so hard to hurt them at all?

I can just see a few pit fights with this thing VS megabeasts or a hundred goblins.

On that note, any idea if megabeasts or indeed normal goblins gain skills while fighting after world gen like your own dwarfs do?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:29:49 am »

I wonder if it's possible to build something like that with some coding on Today's end.

You know... Adding creature like tags to BUILDINGS?

Who doesn't like a tantruming statue?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:41:31 pm »

Suggestion - remove the ability of this creature to roam about in the wild, but add a reaction to the smelter so you can "smelt" him when needed.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 03:03:19 pm »

On that note, any idea if megabeasts or indeed normal goblins gain skills while fighting after world gen like your own dwarfs do?

If it has [INTELLIGENT] (like goblins) or [CAN_LEARN] (titans, cyclopes, ettins, giants, minotaurs) then yes.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »

Suggestion - remove the ability of this creature to roam about in the wild, but add a reaction to the smelter so you can "smelt" him when needed.

That could also work. I thought that cheat-smelting animals doesn't work or at least is bugged or limited. I've tried to make the reaction, but firstly, the only item token that would make an animal, is PET. I suspect it would make a pet, rendering the whole point useless, since dwarves won't attack tame animals. And the second problem is what matgloss token to use.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:25:35 pm »

I'm not even sure smelting animals works at all anymore. I know it worked once, several versions ago. Just something to investigate.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:11 pm »

Smelted animals are considered vermin. Thus only your cats will have a hard time taking them down. Your recruits will just ignore it.

Perhaps a domestic animal? You would need to get rid of everything it produces or make it drop some random useless crap upon death to get rid of bones/skin/meat. Thus no "Training dummy leather bag" or "Finely minced Training Dummy Roast."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 03:27:45 am »

But domestic animals would be considered tame, which renders them useless.  the only thing you could do with them then would be to zombify the training dummy using Dwarf Companion.

However, that has its own problems.  Namely, it would still be considered part of the civilization, and thus would turn anyone who attacked it into an enemy of that civilization.

It works great if you want to split your dwarves into two rival groups, but if you want a bit of cohesion it's best to just leave zombified pets alone.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 12:54:01 am »

Perhaps a domestic animal? You would need to get rid of everything it produces or make it drop some random useless crap upon death to get rid of bones/skin/meat. Thus no "Training dummy leather bag" or "Finely minced Training Dummy Roast."

Just add the tags [NOMEAT], [NOBONES], [NOSKIN], and [NOSKULL] to make it not drop any of those things on death.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.