Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forum  (Read 1049 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Forum
« on: September 16, 2008, 01:35:38 am »

This post is a suggestion for the forum, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post it but here. It would be really cool if a couple more positions were added to the forum, other than just escaped lunatic, Bay Watcher, Toady's The Great, and ThreeToe's The Natural. This would take hardly anytime to add if I am thinking straight, as it is basically just an extension of past coding. This would be cool and add small goals to the forum. It would also act as a sort of gift for extremely active posters who took on an experienced place in the forums. Yeah, we might end up with more people like Yanlin if we do this, but I think that overall it would be a cool idea and we wouldn't end up getting more forum spammers, especially because it says when you join that if you are suspected of just posting to up your post count then the posts will not count and you will be reset to escaped lunatic status.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:57:27 am »

I believe the original argument was that it would encourage random post spamming to rack up post count.

I personally don't give a damn as someone who cares more about an arbitrary joke title than what he is saying probably shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway. Besides, don't we already have custom titles?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:59:43 am »

I disagree.  All it does is encourage users to post more (and with less quality) as to achieve those higher "rankings."

One forum I'm on the admin tore apart the code and did two things: first the Random Crap subsection didn't add to the postcount that could still be found and made those "rankings" based on Time_Since_Joined instead of number of posts.  Sometime later "Silent" was appended to the front some to any user who didn't make an average of 5 posts that month (something really low, forget the number).

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:24:30 am »

I agree, people just post crap to gather ranks... the amount of posts means nothing! Some people post 5000 posts, all crap. and some only 1 which is ingenius. I have seen this spamming because of ranks on another forum too, the top guy had after 2 years 10.000 posts!... And he was a big time idiot.

Thumbs down to ranks.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:33:21 am »

They actually work in the opposite direction. People with high ranks and low forum time, are considered spammers.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:58:13 am »

They actually work in the opposite direction. People with high ranks and low forum time, are considered spammers.

That means that they wanted a high rank, and spammed.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:15:50 am »

That means that they wanted a high rank, and spammed.

Or they just love posting memes like me.

Btw, this is Sparta. Have a nice day.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 08:32:41 am »

This post is a suggestion for the forum, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post it but here. It would be really cool if a couple more positions were added to the forum, other than just escaped lunatic, Bay Watcher, Toady's The Great, and ThreeToe's The Natural. This would take hardly anytime to add if I am thinking straight, as it is basically just an extension of past coding. This would be cool and add small goals to the forum. It would also act as a sort of gift for extremely active posters who took on an experienced place in the forums. Yeah, we might end up with more people like Yanlin if we do this, but I think that overall it would be a cool idea and we wouldn't end up getting more forum spammers, especially because it says when you join that if you are suspected of just posting to up your post count then the posts will not count and you will be reset to escaped lunatic status.

Mo offense, but I think that its quite pointless.  ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:45:50 pm »

I have seen this spamming because of ranks on another forum too, the top guy had after 2 years 10.000 posts!

Decided--on a whim--to check the forum where I said post counts by the name (to the left of each post) was disabled to see how many posts I had.

Says "top 10" but I only copied the top 3.

Top 10 Posters   
Draco18s    4432

But even that's not truly accurate, as posts under Random Crap aren't counted.  If they were I'd have....Around 7000 posts (I used to be able to get an accurate count by "viewing all posts by this user" but it appears that option doesn't work anymore), that remaining 2-3k are almost completely inside one thread in the Random Crap section.  It's amazing what removing the post count does.
BTW, #2 there is a global mod, #3 is a retired admin, #4-6 are global mods, and #8 is the current admin (there were 3 when it started, one's more or less disappeared, the second retired after noticing that she hadn't been around much, the third is responsible for all of the php hacks and the server itself).  There are very very few forums where the admin(s) and/or the global mods are some of the top posters.

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:46:20 pm »

What is required for Bay Watcher status?  I've been around for a few months but don't like to spam, but this apparently means I can't use the shiney new vote tool.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:22:59 pm »

Aren't you a Baywatcher already? He he he... Baywatcher... oooh... jiggly boobies...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:33:24 pm »

What is required for Bay Watcher status?  I've been around for a few months but don't like to spam, but this apparently means I can't use the shiney new vote tool.

Hmmm I guess after 20-25 posts users get that title?..but I might be wrong. :-X

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:27:59 pm »

Hmmm... what am I? I guess I'll post to find out and increase my post count because a higher rank interests me and encourages me to make useless posts for the sake of posting.

Not that I didn't much already.

There is no need for a ranking system. You can already tell people's ranks around here by their usefulness, frequency of appearances, and quality of posts. Why not admins or Toady occasionally promoting special people with special titles?

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 07:32:11 am »

Aren't you a Baywatcher already? He he he... Baywatcher... oooh... jiggly boobies...
So I am... that post seems to have done it.  Weird.