Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] 1x1 food stockpile problem  (Read 599 times)

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
[40d] 1x1 food stockpile problem
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:32:23 pm »

I found a few topics on this in the gameplay questions board, but not in the bug reports, so:

My prison is finally seeing some use (Didn't mean to export those leggings...), so I added a 1x1 food stockpile and a 1x1 booze stockpile next to each chain. Then I remembered that this only makes dwarves haul an empty barrel to each stockpile, rather than bring food and drink. I think someone said that this was so there was a barrel in each food stockpile which could be used to store any food which needs a barrel, but it was rather pointless for booze. So...yeah. Empty barrels instead of food and booze.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] 1x1 food stockpile problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:43:13 pm »

Hey there,

I do the same thing to make sure people don't die in prison. I'd lost 2 dwarves to dehydration because my fort was very busy and had no children.

I find that in order to get proper behavior out of item-specific food stockpiles, there can't be any generic food stockpiles on the map. I create the following types and I got it all to work finally:

A food stockpile which forbids Seeds and Drinks.
A food stockpile which allows only Drinks.
A food stockpile which allows only Seeds, and has zero "barrels allowed"
Optionally, a food stockpile which allows only Prepared Meals and no barrels, in a low-traffic area, to store huge roasts.

If you don't do this, dwarves will place 8-10 seeds, in a bag, in each barrel, quickly using up your supply. They also do strange things with these barrels, as the code doesn't seem to look deep enough to know what's in the barrel, due to the bag, and the dwarves will place this seed barrel wherever they want, including furniture stockpiles.

Once I segregated the "main" food stockpiles in this way, the dwarves placed ALL seeds of a particular type into a single bag in a single stockpile space, reducing our seed storage needs to about 10 tiles tops. Food and drink also seemed better-organized and I was then able to use 'take from pile' in the prison food\drink stockpile to specifically take food and drink from the appropriate piles, fixing all the problems you describe.

I use a long stockpile (1x8) on each side of the 1x8 row of chains, one holding food and one holding drink. Segregating seeds has made it all work properly, the dwarves keep all 8 tiles filled with fresh food and drink. It's like a prison buffet!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 07:10:03 pm »

Toady actually fixed the seed problem. My farms are working just fine with one barrel that holds all the seeds I'll ever need. The seed stockpile's actually 6 tiles, but they've only used two (one for the dummy barrel you always end up with; one for the actual seeds).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:19:37 pm »

Toady actually fixed the seed problem. My farms are working just fine with one barrel that holds all the seeds I'll ever need. The seed stockpile's actually 6 tiles, but they've only used two (one for the dummy barrel you always end up with; one for the actual seeds).

Good to hear the handling problems are fixed, though I still end up with dwarves placing a seed bag into a barrel containing only 8-10 seeds. This causes all my bags and barrels to get used up after a while. How did you get this working better? I've got two saves in 40d where they're misusing bags and barrels until I create a seeds-only stockpile which forbids the use of barrels :(
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:58:29 pm »

Did you copy your old init.txt over to the new version? The behavior governing trying to preserve containers is controlled by a new entry in init.txt. The default values are sane, but they do need to be there.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:56:51 pm »

My 40d fortress nearly starved to death until I realised there were no crops growing as all my seeds were in bags inside barrels, and all unusable(red). I had to go through each seed barrel and dump the bags, set barrels to 0 in a stockpile, and reclaim the seed bags. The thing toady implemented was preferring the use of non-empty containers more.