Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gold-related happy thoughts  (Read 1118 times)

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gold-related happy thoughts
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:16:57 am »

One of the things that seems to be missing from the thoughts is the general state of the fortress.  It would be nice if dwarves would periodically get happy or unhappy thoughts according to the success of the mining or trading operation, particularly the nobles.  "He was delighted recently that his fortress has stockpiled so much gold."  "He was depressed lately that the fortress has no gold at all." or even, "He was disturbed lately that so much of the fortress's gold hasn't even been smelted." Not too often, maybe whenever the caravan shows up (and thus the rest of the world can see) or seasonally, or on the anniversary of the fortress's founding.  This could work for lots of things (adamantine, platinum, silver, booze, food) but gold seems to particularly resonate with the dwarvish soul.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold-related happy thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:47:01 am »

Gold is also easier to find than the other ores you listed; if I recall correctly, it can be found in any of the deeper rock layer types, while the others are more limited.

Booze and food, I suppose it makes sense for the more future-minded dwarves to be concerned about a lack of supplies, and the more excessive ones to be happy when there's an overstock.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 12:11:58 pm »

Dwarves wouldn't care particularly about gold, that's a human obsession.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:47:22 pm »

Maybe not just gold. Perhaps dependent on a dwarf's preferences and personality. If he likes gold and you have lots of gold then he should be happy. If he likes adamantium and you have none then he should be unhappy.
This could also go with types of items as well as materials. If they like socks then they will want there to be an excess of socks available.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:44:05 pm »

I would kill them.  I will eventually run out of whatever material they like (assuming I find it) and then I'll have to kill them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:52:18 pm »

Yeah, especially since lots of things that dwarves can like are VERY specific. For example, what if I don't have Giant Bat leather? Or Coral? (which you can't get yet). I don't think dwarves should get too unhappy about not having stuff, since that sounds like too much of a pain to keep track of for the player.

Although, I do kind of like the idea of miners getting excited about hitting an ore vein or gem pocket. "Was happy about finding gold in the mines recently" would be a neat addition. The only problem I see with it is that I wouldn't want any corresponding unhappy thought for NOT finding anything recently, since I may need my miners to be working on carving out bedrooms or whatnot, and not doing exploratory mining.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »

i believe dwarves get that effect from "was satisfied at work lately" if they worked with/mined/smelted something they like.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:40:41 pm »

One of the things that seems to be missing from the thoughts is the general state of the fortress.  It would be nice if dwarves would periodically get happy or unhappy thoughts according to the success of the mining or trading operation, particularly the nobles.  "He was delighted recently that his fortress has stockpiled so much gold."  "He was depressed lately that the fortress has no gold at all." or even, "He was disturbed lately that so much of the fortress's gold hasn't even been smelted." Not too often, maybe whenever the caravan shows up (and thus the rest of the world can see) or seasonally, or on the anniversary of the fortress's founding.  This could work for lots of things (adamantine, platinum, silver, booze, food) but gold seems to particularly resonate with the dwarvish soul.

Hehe yeah, but once economy kicks in why should they care that the fortress has stockpiled XY amount of gold? I think they should get happy/unhappy thoughts according to their "bankroll". Poor dwarf = unhappy thoughts, rich dwarf = happy thoughts. Simple and realistic.   ;)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:18:02 am »

Hmm. My thoughts and preferences say I like money.

Having hardly any money to spend... Well according to your suggestion... I should be throwing a tantrum right now.

I'd hate an adamantine loving dwarf going insane just cause I didn't mine any.

(I know you didn't mean it on THAT scale. But I wanted to pop the joke.)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:31:02 pm »

Having the materials a dwarf likes is a bonus that shouldn't be attached to a penelty... or at least not a powerful one. (The exception of course is Nobles... but I'll leave that for a nobility thread)

If there was a strong penelty that would kinda force steamlining of a dwarves' wants since Toady would have to make sure they all like close to similar things. "No you can't like Coal because that COULD be hard to find!"

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:25:26 pm »

It'd also force the changing of the info page to make the dwarf's likes easier to find.  Seriously, going through to the thoughts/likes/etc. page for upwards of two hundred dwarves would suck bigtime :(.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 10:29:33 am »

Hehe yeah, but once economy kicks in why should they care that the fortress has stockpiled XY amount of gold? I think they should get happy/unhappy thoughts according to their "bankroll". Poor dwarf = unhappy thoughts, rich dwarf = happy thoughts. Simple and realistic.   ;)

Well, that might be one of the few reasons to let the economy kick in -- so the dwarves stop giving a damn about the state of the fortress.