Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your Dwarf Fortress Rig  (Read 7723 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Your Dwarf Fortress Rig
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 01:53:07 pm »

Right now since I'm a mobile fresh out of college student I'm running a laptop. Intend to get a desktop sometime soon.

Got it on fire sale for $800 a year or so ago

HP Pavilion dv2000
Vista SP1
1.6 core2duo
2 GB RAM
140 GB HD
Intel integrated gfx x3100

So the shitty thing about it is the integrated graphics card which SURPRISINGLY works well. As I've mentioned in another thread I've done a hacked solution to run HL2/mods and TF2 well and Oblivion decent. The only problem is that this causes my laptop to become pretty damn hot.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 01:58:18 pm »

I curse all modern technology.  I have a digital camera and a camera-phone, but neither one can interface with the computer.  The digital camera needs one of those square-ish USB plugs, which I can't find.  The phone uses a trapezoid USB plug, which I have, but for some damn reason, even though the phone says it's connected and the computer say it found a device, I can't send data from one to the other.  Balls.  My otherwise crappy set-up looks so awesome.  If anybody knows how to make a Motorola Razor talk to a comp, I'd love to hear it.

So, system.  I started with a Compaq Pressario of some model, and was stunned to realize that it's designed to be non-upgradeable.  Early this year I finally scraped together the cash to get a new motherboard, and there's really nothing original left but the case and drives.  Now the system looks like this-

Biostar P4M900-M4 Motherboard - Bitch to get, since they stopped making 478-pins.
2.8GHz Multi-Core Processor - I don't know the model off-hand.
XFX GeForce 8400GS Graphic Card - Best you can get for the price.
3GB DDR2 Ram - Hopefully moving up to 4 soon.
XP Home Edition - Actually a multi-install instruction edition.
80Gb Harddrive - The biggest stumbler, came standard.

All in all, it's far from Top End, but more than powerful enough for any of the games I play.

The pre-packed tower was about $500 when I got it four years ago.  The MoBoard and GeForce were about $60 each.  The processor was free - The tower came with a 2.6GHz Celeron D, but it welded itself to the heatsink (I can't fathom how it kept running), and my friend who was working on it with me gave me the extra processor he had.  The RAM was free, and the upgrade will be too, because for reasons only they can know, Wal-Mart sells 2Gb DDR2 sticks on open racks.  For the much the same reason, the OS was free because, in a truly boneheaded move, Microsoft made a multiple installation version of XP Home for training IT people, and naturally a copy leaked out.

Quote from: Tormy
What? XP is not able to use 4Gb RAM [even 64bit XP has issues with it], only 2, so huh??  :o
I don't know where you got that from.  System boot-up recognizes my 3Gb just fine, and as far as I can tell, it's working.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Valarnin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 03:00:36 pm »

What? XP is not able to use 4Gb RAM [even 64bit XP has issues with it], only 2, so huh??  :o

Close. XP combined with certain motherboards is only able to recognise a certain amount of RAM. The lowest it recognised was 2GB but any multiple of 128 after that is possible for a limit. Another thing is that XP when combined with certain boards will fail to recognise an amount of RAM equal to the video card's RAM. I've experienced both in my time, which is why I stick with ASUS boards that support 4GB.

Hmm...according to wikipedia (which is always right...) pentium 4 is single-core. But, unless I'm mistaken, which I probably am, I thought my pc was dual-core. Well, when I go on to task manager, there are 2 "CPU Usage History" graphs, and I can set the affinity (...?) to CPU 0 or 1, or both.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4
In 2005, the Pentium 4 was complemented by the Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition dual-core CPUs.

The original successor to the Pentium 4 was Tejas, which was scheduled for an early-mid-2005 release. However, it was cancelled a few months after the release of Prescott due to extremely high power consumption (a 2.8 GHz Tejas consumed 150 W of power, compared to around 80 W for a Northwood of the same speed, and 100 W for a comparably clocked Prescott) and development on the NetBurst architecture as a whole ceased, with the exception of the dual-core Pentium D/Extreme Edition and Cedar Mill.

Since May 2005, Intel has released dual-core processors based on the Pentium 4 under the names Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition. They represent Intel's shift towards parallelism and their intent is to eventually make the bulk of their main processor line dual-core. These came under the code names Smithfield and Presler for the 90 nm and 65 nm parts respectively.

Sometimes what the system reports isn't accurate. Try opening up a command prompt and running "systeminfo", which will output a bunch of info, and see if you can find your processor make and model in there.

--- EDIT ---

I curse all modern technology.  I have a digital camera and a camera-phone, but neither one can interface with the computer.  The digital camera needs one of those square-ish USB plugs, which I can't find.  The phone uses a trapezoid USB plug, which I have, but for some damn reason, even though the phone says it's connected and the computer say it found a device, I can't send data from one to the other.  Balls.  My otherwise crappy set-up looks so awesome.  If anybody knows how to make a Motorola Razor talk to a comp, I'd love to hear it.
There's some software you have to download from the Motorola website, I can't remember right now what it is.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:04:11 pm by Valarnin »

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 03:39:21 pm »

Sometimes what the system reports isn't accurate. Try opening up a command prompt and running "systeminfo", which will output a bunch of info, and see if you can find your processor make and model in there.
"Windows cannot find 'systeminfo'. Make sure you typed...blahblahblah."
I googled  systeminfo, and: "This command is only available to Microsoft Windows XP Professional computers and is not available in Microsoft Windows XP Home."
Gah, annoying >:(

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 03:53:33 pm »

Microsoft XP
 AMD Athlon XP 180+
 1.50 GHz
 225 MB of RAM
 Around 35-40GB total space, partitioned over five drives. Odd how C has only 6GB to itself. Currently 300 MB free space on C but several GB on other drives.

Aaaand, that's it. I think it's eight years old now. I also think it survived a fire. And numerous power surges with no protector.

I think it has sentience like Short Circuit. Every time I make a Hello World program, the screen turns a red tint and all o's get corrupted, making them blank. And every time something dies in a game a strange scream is heard, but not from the speakers. Also, for some reason, all disks coming out of the disk drive fly out at tremendous speeds.

That last paragraph is a bit of a fabrication, but the rest is actually scarier than the last paragraph.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:59:36 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 04:48:47 pm »

Edit: Tormy are you sure about that? because when i go into properties on my computer it comes up with 3.5 GB RAM.

Yes.
The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP is 4 GB.
The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB.

However you can play around with the boot.ini and try /pae or /3G

Some infos about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/pae_os.mspx
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:57:26 pm by Tormy »

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 04:57:35 pm »

After taking a look around my computer, I found something - under processors, in the device manager, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz is listed twice, so I guess this means that I have two of those...or something....I dunno :-\

Then again, it also says I have 2 keyboards and 3 mice. I don't trust this computer...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:59:54 pm by Ryo »

Valarnin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 08:04:59 pm »

After taking a look around my computer, I found something - under processors, in the device manager, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz is listed twice, so I guess this means that I have two of those...or something....I dunno :-\

Then again, it also says I have 2 keyboards and 3 mice. I don't trust this computer...

When using USB devices, it installs a seperate instance of each driver for each port you plug it in to. That's why when I get a new USB device I always plug it into each port, so I don't have to deal with the New Hardware wizard(or having my mouse or keyboard not work until I get past the login screen, which is a bit of a problem). On the other hand, you probably have a Pentium D and it's reporting as a Pentium 4.

--- EDIT ---

The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP is 4 GB.
The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB.

However you can play around with the boot.ini and try /pae or /3G

Some infos about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/pae_os.mspx

I can't see anywhere on that page that states that directly, and it only lists Intel processors anyway.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:13:13 pm by Valarnin »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 10:10:11 pm »

Microsoft XP
 AMD Athlon XP 180+
 1.50 GHz
 225 MB of RAM

Aaaand, that's it. I think it's eight years old now. I also think it survived a fire. And numerous power surges with no protector.

I think it has sentience like Short Circuit. Every time I make a Hello World program, the screen turns a red tint and all o's get corrupted, making them blank. And every time something dies in a game a strange scream is heard, but not from the speakers. Also, for some reason, all disks coming out of the disk drive fly out at tremendous speeds.

Wow, i mean wow. I'm just at a loss for words.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 12:31:27 am »

Rio, try typing "dxdiag" (without the quote marks) into run to get your full system specification. The only tabs you need to look in are display(for GPU) and system(for other stuff).

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 06:25:51 am »

Well, it's not as great as some of the rigs on here, but here goes:

Windows Vista Business/SuSE Linux 11.0 (dual-boot).

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
4GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM (2 separate sticks, because I'm building piecemeal at the moment)
Gigabyte 8400GS (will soon be an 8800GT of some kind; probably 1GB)
320GB SATA II hard drive
70GB IDE drive (in external caddy)

I bought it with 2GB of RAM and no OS for only AUD$625 (including postage and handling), and got a legitimate copy of Vista for free. The Linux install is because I liked SuSE 10.1, and I'm learning Lunix as part of my studies next month, so I figure it would be good to have. When I loaded up 11.0, I was absolutely gobsmacked; it's really improved significantly over 10.1. Also, Compiz rocks.

Runs Crysis beautifully at low settings, has a few issues in heavy combat at medium. Also, no overclocking, because the case fan in this makes noise at the moment, so I'm going to replace it with a 120mm on the side.

Also, anyone got some ideas of the overclocking potential on an E6600 without a considerable increase in core temp?
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 11:06:12 am »

Rio [:P], try typing "dxdiag" (without the quote marks) into run to get your full system specification. The only tabs you need to look in are display(for GPU) and system(for other stuff).

Yep, that worked - thanks. It turns out it does have two of those CPUs.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 11:49:59 am »

Slighly on/off topic, but has anyone tried running DF on an Eee 700?
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »

I'm actually running DF on a Intel iMac (c2d t7400), 2gb ram, Windows XP Pro SP2...

On a 40" LCD HDTV at 1280x720.  I must admit, it's a bit excessive.

I have to turn the brightness down though - trying to look at ASCII with a 15000:1 contrast ratio HURTS.  Like, actual pain in the eyes.  I eventually gave up and opted to use graphics sets just to spare my old eyes.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 06:33:31 pm »

Intel Duo Core 915 running at 2.8GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
350GB Hard Drive
300 Watt Power Supply*
IGC* (The only thing worse then a GCS)

So the graphics card is a joke. However I am upgrading both the power supply and graphics card. In fact I have them both in my closet right now. All I need is a Screw driver that FITS. Mine is to big.
After upgrade. Probably this weekend.
400 Watt Power Supply
9600 GT e-GeForce 512mb DDR3

That video card was the second best at Future Shop last weekend and it only cost $50. Thank you open box deduction.

By the way how much if DF effected by RAM? I had only 1GB of RAM until 3 days ago but when I upgraded I didn't notice much of a change.
Pages: 1 [2] 3