Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-Racial Fortresses  (Read 1512 times)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-Racial Fortresses
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:52:39 pm »

Well, I couldn't find anything in the development pages about this, and since during world gen we have other races being captured and raised in different civilizations, I was wondering if the ability for immigrants from other races to show up in our fortresses?  Even if they're not from your city's civilization.

See, I figure that if a fortress become so rich and famous then why wouldn't humans, goblins, or even elves decide to move in (assuming peace)?  After all, people from emigrate to other nations all the time in real life.

Just imagine, a fortress composed of 90% dwarves, 7% humans and goblins, and 3% elves.  There could be tensions and culture differences, meaning the humans would prefer to not be given rooms/workshops in close proximity to the elves from the society that ate their ancestors.  You'd have to worry about the missing statues, wondering why that one goblin seems to have acquired some new found wealth recently...

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Racial Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:41:22 am »

If I could remember how to find Threetoe's stories..

Edit: Google knows all!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_half_dwarf.html
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:44:35 am by Golgath »
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:32 am »

Just imagine, a fortress composed of 90% dwarves, 7% humans and goblins, and 3% elves. 

This would not end well... ;D
I like the suggestion...also perhaps later on we will be able to "tame" captured humanoids somehow.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:34:27 am »

Just imagine, a fortress composed of 90% dwarves, 7% humans and goblins, and 3% elves. 

This would not end well... ;D
I like the suggestion...also perhaps later on we will be able to "tame" captured humanoids somehow.

Liberal crime squad. (Game)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:56 am »

As long as races don't MAGICALLY like your fortresses with exception to those raised in them.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:08 pm »

Hmm... is it races rather than species?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:54:21 pm »

Hmm... is it races rather than species?
Yeah, it's species (in that two different species cannot breed; if that's ever changed, then it's back to races). We're going to have to wait for appearance modifiers for there to be more than one race of any species.
Anyway, I think it's all coming eventually, but I have no idea in what form.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty Toady had plans in this area.

I'd love to see various races show up at my Fortress. Humans'll go anywhere and live anywhere if that culture provides them with what they need. After all, you have to work to live. I can even see people migrating to other species lands if their personal ethics agree more with that Civilization's ethics. I know a few people personally who'd love to go live in an Elven Tree refuge. And one or two who would jump at the chance to go live in an industrious Dwarven Fortress. And I can easily imagine low-life's and bandits migrating to a Goblin Tower, where they would be given a chance to work in a place that cares little for what they do.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Waylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 10:35:02 pm »

Hey!
I've made this thread before, you obviously didn't search hard enough.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21251.msg227951#msg227951
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:37:00 pm by Waylon »