Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50648 times)

Mr_Wizard

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Never in doubt
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2009, 09:05:17 am »

I would like to take the last Dwarf baby.

Name: Miss Wizard
Nickname: Missy
Future Profession: A Whateverismostnecessary. I hear those are in high demand. >.>

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2009, 02:46:33 pm »

I was checking out your fortress location, and discovered that if you expanded 1 row upwards, you could have had an underground river.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 27, 2009, 04:34:57 pm »

That is morbidly depressing.

I'll be updating tonight.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2009, 12:04:27 am »

12th Granite, Tirean's Log

Maggarg came into Mo... My office today with a combat report detailing an attack on Ukat and Glacies while they were north of the village today. Neither of them were injured, but I was informed that Fireheart managed to break his hand while bashing a goblin's helm in with the pommel of his sword, much to the amusment of Maggarg.

One of Glacies hunting dogs was shot and killed in the crossfire, she seemed not to notice or care. I think she's already appropriated one of the puppies to be it's replacement. Likot knows we have enough of them.

13th Granite, Tirean's Log

The Village is in an uproar!

Elves have arrived at the south gate today, asking to be allowed in to trade with us. At first I was tempted to simply order them killed like Mother would do. By locking them away until they starve, or go crazy and eat eath other... whichever comes first. However, things are not that simple or easy this time.

On one side of me I have Ukat and Abod demanding I do my duty as a dwarf and order them all killed. Or even to strike them down myself, to prove that I am my mother's child and not some "Yellow-Bellied Halfwit", as Pete called me. They include most of the older dwarves, including Father and, I'm certain, Mother.

However, every time I try and make up my mind to kill them, Glacies and Feb give me a reproachful look. They tell me that I'm old enough to decide on my own, and insist that our parents are bias... or even simply wrong about these elves. After all, they say, these elves couldn't be the elves that drove our parents out of their home. They only offer us trade and friendship... why should we spit on that? Behind them they even have Echo, who's quiet words seem able to turn any argument that the other adults give back upon itself, throwing us all into even greater confusion.

To make matters worse, one of the elves simply refuses to stay in the depot while I make up my mind. He has introduced himself as Fael, and his dress and manners are very different from those of his breatheren. While they are effete , aloof, and overbearing, he is as earthly as any human I've met. Moreso than some of the merchants. His eyes are alert and interested as he constantly moves around our village, talking with my younger siblings and nephew. When he spotted our small plot of rope reed he told us how we could better cultivate the land there to improve our harvests, and he has offered a truely masterpiece quality bow to Glacies, who he constantly referres to as his "Wilds-Sister." Even Father has shown some surprise and gratitude to this elf.

Dear Likot... I feel as if the earth is the sky and the sky is the earth. I'm lost! If only mother hadn't hurt herself. If only the elves were as evil as the adults say! If only...

18th Granite, Tirean's Log
I've done it.

I've forbidden any dwarf from killing the elves, letting every dwarf here to decide for themselves how to deal with the traders.

Likot protect me, please understand mother!

25th Granite, Tirean's Log

The elves left bitterly today after Glacies attempted to trade a pine gauntlet stolen from their kin last year back to them. It's strange, from her report they almost seemed more upset about the fact that the armor was made from wood, than about the source of the gauntlet. Doubly so being it is of elven make, wear, and size and thus must have been crafted by one of their armorers. Even so, Glacies did manage to trade much of the old rope reed clothes that were piling up in the depot before they left. What little cloth and food we got from it was well worth the short time spent in the trade.

14th Felsite

Illiterate had his lucky thirteenth birthday today. He told us that he wanted to follow in Mom's footsteps as a mason and miner, and expressed some interests as a mechanic. Since mom is still out of the picture, I've decided to initiate him into the ways of Likot as a Priest, similar Mom initiated me. While he was reluctant at first, when I explained how much I really needed help keeping everyone else (incluing Glacies, who's legal position is equivilant to mine) in line he quickly capitulated.

The ceremony was brief, but beautiful. We had it in the middle of the cathedral as the sun passed overhead, lighting the thin stained-glass windows that covered the skylights and sending images of the "Dance of fire and earth", or the courtship of the godess Likot by the great dragon Ziril, flitting across the silvered floor in an intricate dance that seemed more alive then we did as the images played across the congregation. Accompanying the art was the hymn, Aniltulon. Everyone except Echo sang, our voices rocking the walls of the cathedral with their strength and conviction.

the Profiles of Rigwief Eshan, and Miss Wizard Eshan

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:26:43 am by Jamini »

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2009, 12:54:29 am »

Good to see you back and writing, Jamini.  The story continues to grow more and more fascinating.

By the way, I went back through the posts and found Fre's profile, and may I just say, it fits him perfectly.  "Rarely feels discouraged," "Confident under pressure," "Finds rules confining," "Strives for excellence," sounds like an Iron Chef to me.

How's the little tyke getting along these days?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2009, 01:48:45 am »

He's doing well. He hasn't really reached Frea's level of cooking yet, but as a Skilled Cook and a Competent brewer he still makes the vast majority of the fort's newer cooked meals.

As a side note, he is Illiet's lover. XD The two Chef's have been turning up the heat in the kitchen it seems. :)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2009, 01:27:03 am »

Illiterate is male, I really need to get gender tags or something for the kids ><

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2009, 01:21:56 pm »

A-Bump
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 11, 2009, 07:24:56 pm »

Erm... Re-bump...
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 12, 2009, 12:56:10 pm »

mubp.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:12 pm »

babump.
They started to collide~

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 14, 2009, 07:19:06 am »

Hump.

Wait...
Magma is overrated.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 14, 2009, 10:29:28 am »

I'm writing out the update, geez folks.

Sorry about the delay, work has been picking up recently and I just haven't had the free time. :/

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 14, 2009, 11:15:34 am »

1st Hematite

The smell of hazel filled the kitchen, casing Fre's mouth to water behind his tied-back red beard as he carefully stirred a large cauldron of sweet pod syrup over the hot stove to a boil. His eyes watched the pan warily, constantly vigilant for any signs of scorching or crystallization that would spell disaster for his sauce. At his side, the dirty blonde Illiet Eshan worked furiously at kneading a huge mound of cave wheat dough that would become the base for the meal they were cooking. Flour covered her arms well past her elbow as she worked fingers and rolling pin to pound the heavy substance flat. As she worked the lumpy dough quickly begame smooth and flat, her hands seperating it into a number of small balls that were quickly rolled into thin disks.

"Have you heard Ellie? I hear your mum is getting better. Roll those a little flatter, we aren't making biscuits." Fre said over the sizzle of the stove as he reached into the cabinet above the stove and withdrew a large flask of River Spirits. With a practiced geusture he poured the potent alcohol into the syrup, stirring it in vigorously.

As he worked Illiet grabed another handful of flour and dusted it over the wooden rolling pin before crushing globs of dough into extremely flat disks. "It's her own fault for not being more careful. Honestly sometimes I think she's blessed by Likot or something, the number of cave-ins and disasters she has survived is amazing. You should turn down that heat, you're making sauce, not hard candy Fre."

Fre looked back down at his cauldron and shrugged, "Still, don't you think you should check up on her? Give her a visit? I'm sure that she would apreciate it. Not so large now dear! Those won't cook properly when put in the pan at that size." overturning the bottle of booze into the mix into the boiling mess before lifting the cauldron up am armslength with the wooden crank above the stove. The old wood that Pete had carved four years before creaked as it lifted the iron pot up, the excellently-made stone mechanisms within interlocking tightly as the pot began to sway slightly.

Illiet spared Fre a brief glance before removing a third of her now very flat disks. Wetting the disks and throwing them back in the massive mound where they had originated. With that done she grabbed a handful of cat meat filling from the bowl between her and Fre and began to close the dumpling with practiced motions. "As if she ever would give the courtesy to me!" Illiet laughed derisivly at the thought, "She's got twenty other kids to give her a warm welcome, she doens't need me filling the crowd. Let 'Perfect Tirean' greet her when she wakes up. I'd rather be here... with you. Don't forget the lemon in the sauce now."

Fre looked over at Illiet with a faint smile, a tendril of red facial hair snaking out of it's tie behind his head as the sauce in the pan behind him simmered merrily in the reduced heat. "We don't have any lemon. Haven't in year now. You know that."

"Are you sure?" Illiet replied, a mischevious smile replacing the angry frown that had dominated her face, "I could swear I saw some in the grainery the other day. We should go check just to be sure."

"Who is going to watch my sauce?"

Both dwarves stopped for a moment. Then, as one, they called into the next room: "Oi, Echo!"

1st Hematite

At long last, Mother is starting to feel better! This morning I spotted her taking a few tottering steps outside of the room she had been sleeping in. She grimiced with every step on her once-shattered leg, but she is able to walk again!

This calls for a celebration. Drinks for everyone!

Wait... that doesn't work.

MORE drinks for everyone!

1st Hematite, Rikkir's log

At long last my leg has healed. I've spent so much time unconsious, much has changed in the half-year I've been asleep...

At least the village hasn't fallen totally apart in my absence. Tirean has done well, and I don't think I could have chosen a better custodian than her. However, she is still very young. Some things were neglected in my absense.

My first order of business is getting my baby back.

5th Hematite

Our village groundhog died today of old age. When Echo told me the news I promptly replied: "What village groundhog?"

We've interred it in the pet cemetary.

11th Hematite, Rirdest's Diary

Despite my misgivings last year, I have returned on order from the King. I hve been told to once again open trade relations with the dwarves, and to bring an important message from my lord stating that unless the dwarves of Ulolgeshud cease the murder of all merchants who enter their soil, we will withdraw from our trading contract with their village next year.

12th Hematite

While we negotiated with Rirdest, a group of goblin raiders slaughtered the caravan. He left horrified, swearing to never return to us again.

I bid him good day, and yelled at him to bring us some more iron goods next year.

13th Hematite

A second group of goblin raiders attacked Illiterate on the northern edge of the village today, a wayward bolt from their leader embedding itself into the fleshy part of her thigh. She is alive and well, aside from some pain and discomfort, but her mare Sazir Dstokatthir died from a bolt in the heart as she ran.

We may need to expand the pet cemetary soon.

14th Hematite

The goblin raiders have been repelled again, but not without some difficulty.

As Mulch beat back the small raiding group, one of the crossbowmen shot a lucky bolt into his right ankle, breaking the joint. He may be a long time recovering, and with Mulch out of the action like Fireheart, over half of our military force is disabled.

Troublesome.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »

Ooooh, you are going to have a war with the humans!  Let the siege fires be lit!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29