Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50652 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #360 on: January 19, 2009, 12:02:36 pm »

Plains.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2009, 01:11:34 am »

But if you dip my thread, it'll fall faster!

I just got back from a four-day con tonight. Once I'm rested I'll give you guys an update. Sound good?
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2009, 12:33:57 pm »

I'd say it's about time!  ;)

I was wondering where you'd dissappeared to, but with the holidays and all that was trying to be patient.

Looking forward to more, so keep up the awesome writing!
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2009, 05:25:39 pm »

Granite 13th

"The old legends say that we elves grew from the great tree of life, our bodies but the seeds of it's fruit and our goals naught but it's survival and growth."

Fael sighed as the initiate's words rambled onward behind him. Wishing, not for the first time, that the youngster had remained in the camp with Amil so that he could observe the caravan's approach in peace. However, his life partner had stated on no uncertain terms was he to leave the novice druid behind with her again. Her overt reasoning was that the youngster needed to learn how to hide and read natural sign as well as any other ranger or druid in the land. Secretly Fael believed that she just wanted an afternoon of rest from the trying youth.

"Lifela Fena, save your words. We don't want the caravan we've been tracking to notice us this close to their destination, do you?"

The youth's mouth shut tight upon the second verse of the prayer. His unusually red lips, the source of his namesake, puckering in distaste. A second later he let the sour expression go, following it with a vividly curious look that caused the flecks of gold in his foggy gray eyes to give his face an almost catlike appearance.

"We are that close? I didn't hear." The youth replied anxiously, his face alight with curiosity about their quarry after months of searching for this merchant trail, "Are you sure this is the right group this time Famime?"

The older elf turned swiftly to glare at his younger companion, a hand moving forward quickly to brush back a lock of sweaty, brown hair that had fallen over his face. "Bifi!**" Fael hissed furiously, "Do not call me that name outside of our home!"

The youth backed away, his movement causing the brush they were resting in to shudder violently, "Imi!*Imi! I'm sorry Fael!"

The ranger reached forward and grabbed the younger elf by the arm, bringing him to the ground before he could break cover and flee the bush. "Bifi, you will give us away!" He hissed into the panicking youth's ear. "Now stop, I'm not angry yet. Calm down and stay quiet so the merchants do not find us both!"

The boy stopped moving and sat still, his eyes wide and his breast heaving from his recent effort. A second later his ears perked slightly.

"Fael... I hear them."

The older elf stopped and closed his eyes, his own ears swiveling in the same direction as the youths and his eyes closing. A moment later his own murky lenses opened and he smiled a rare smile that made his hawklike face seem less hard. "I do too. Let's get Amil, we have found them."

*- Imi, Elven for child. Also used for a quick apology.
** - Bifi, Stupid. Used as an insult.

13th Granite, Rikker's Log

When you hate someone, sometimes they do things that make you wish you didn't hate them so. I really hate thoughts like that, it makes it hard for me to do things that I've already decided to do.

The elves arrived today, their long caravan stretching from our depot to deep into the woods that surround our home. Tons of goods and food that they were willing to give to us for such a modest fee, and totally oblivious to the fate of the elves who have passed by here before.

At first I really had no compulsion against piling them into our depot, sealing the exit, and letting them starve. However, while I watched them enter the village one of them was attacked by a lone goblin hammerman. Naturally I assumed that the poor elf was done for, good riddance. Right? Well, much to my amazement the elf simply charged into the swing, flipped the hammergoblin with a deft motion, and sent him flying into the moat with hardly a beat lost in his march to our depot.

It was a little difficult to pull the lever to seal them off for the rest of their lives today. An elf like that one I could almost get to like, provided it wasn't a fluke.

Look at the absurdity of my writing. They are ELVES, they deserve to die horribly.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2009, 09:58:51 pm »

18th Granite - Rikkir's Log
Two squads of goblins showed up at our west gate today. Mulch and Maggarg were first on the scene, sending goblins flying in every direction as they battled the greenskins. Within seconds the goblins were all dead. No survivors.

13th Felsite

At long last the elves have gone mad, breaking down into tears and tearing at each other with the ferocity of a starved dog. At least, the one that pushed the goblin into the moat is, the other three are just running away from him in a panic as he rips them limb from limb.

13th Hematite

The humans arrived today, bringing with them no less than ten wagons. We've brought them in to trade.

The outpost liaison seemed disturbed for some reason as he was led into the depot with the other merchants, happily talking with myself and Glacies. We discussed much concerning the increase in goblin attacks. The humans seemed surprised by our allegations that the elves are in league with the greenskins, asking how the treehumprs could even consider an alliance with creatures as bane as the goblins. Yet, we have proof as we bring out yet another elven skull totem that decorates our hall for him to examine.

I neglected to tell him that the skull was from the elves who had been torn apart by their own kind in the depot just months before. Let him stay ignorant and blissful.

Also, Fre and Ileit have apparently been seen together by some of the other children.
Ah, the follies of youth.

25th Hematite
Rirdest approached me today, demanding to know why some of the goods were offering his merchants were of elven make and covered in blood. His manner was so disraught that he nearly passed out at my feet when I clapped him on the back in a brotherly fasion and explained that they were elven made, taken from elven invaders.

He seemed stunned by the idea that the elves had attacked us and didn't press the issue. In fact, he seemed a little reticiant to face me from that point on. It must have been my friendly manner. Or the fact that I nearly flattened him with that friendly motion.

27th Hematite - Just outside of Ulolgeshud.

Rirdest frowned as he through the young trees that dotted the landscape around the depot, the dwarven bread he had been eating for the last two weeks sitting as heavily in his stomach as his thoughts sat on his mind. He felt the currents of a brisk north wind wash across his trousers, already heralding the times to come for this small dwarven village and he sighed, things were not going well.

Last year Citu Cituishes had returned from a successful trading season with these very same dwarves, the sames ones that Reg had found so many years ago. The number, the quality, and the amount of goods that he had returned with had been staggering to everyone involved with the guild. The wealth of Desopesor had increased by a third in over one night with his return, and Citu... Citu had become one of the wealthiest merchants in all of the kingdom. By all rights he had made this liaison with Ulolgeshud into one of the best and most lucrative in the world, and yet... he withdrew from his post and had himself reassigned to  a backwater village nearly halfway across the continent without explanation.

At first Rirdest had been ecstatic to discover that he was next in line for control of the trade empire that Ulolgeshud was, but ever since he arrived something had been bothering him. A tiny twitter had been telling him in the back of his mind that something was... wrong. That something had driven Reg... and then Citu... away from this place.

As he passed the quiet, artificial lake and worked his way up the ramp where the Matron dwarf... Rikkir, she said her name was, Rirdest thought about his first arrival here at Ulolgeshud. At first his party had been met by a grizzly dwarf clad in iron with a wicked-looking sword. The dwarf had challenged them at first, waving his sword at Rirdest's men in an erratic way and telling "us elves" to go back home to our Treedinging retreats. It had taken all of his diplomatic ability right then and there to convince the swordsman, who had later been introduced as Fireheart, that the men and woman with him were friends. Not long after the madman's commander, whom Rirdest had been informed was named "Mulch Diggums Eshan", the only dwarf that Rirdest had heard of with three names, and had ushered all of Rirdest's party into the depot.

Since then things had been well. Mulch had treated well with them, and introduce Rirdest and the rest of his men to his wife and family, including their trader (and apparantly daughter) Glacies Esrur. The dwarves seemed ecastic to unload their goods, crafts, and spoils of war onto Rirdest's wagons, piling heaps of bone trinkets, stone works, blocks, statues, and goblin gear in exchange for Iron and food. If he was a less cautious man, Rirdest would be ecstatic himself over his profit from this trip. But... perhaps because he had been burned so many times, he was worried. Some of the goods didn't seem right. Smooth wooden crafts haphazardly thrown in with the others, bereft of the interlocking sockets so common in dwarven craft and the rivets seen in goblin wear. Clothing that was too large for a dwarf or goblin, but too narrow for a man to fit. Veils and thongs, embroidered with flowers and plants so to fit in with the underbrush. Gnomeblight, an extract that was unheard-of in this area.

Rirdest pulled free his pipe and lit it carefully, drawing a long breath of the Mog Juice infused tobacco, a crop that has long been forbidden from any form of trade since the great treaty was developed, and exhaling a perfectly round ring of smoke from his lips. The pipe helped him relax in ways that no other earthly pleasure could. It helped him clear his mind and think, while before him the placid lake rippled in the wind. As he inhaled through his nose in preparation for another smoke ring, he noticed a small bit of movement to the south of the lake. A small hand waving to him, motioning for him to approach. It was distant, but a clear indication.

Hesitantly, confused, Rirdest let his pipe down and stared at the distant motion. Pausing only long enough to snuff his tobacco before walking around the small lake to meet the waving figure.

As he approached, Vicarrah grinned maliciously.

16th Malachite

The merchants have left.

6th Galena
Linakesh has reached her 13th birthday today. Ukat has taken her under her wing so that she can become a true mechanical genius. It's as good a beginning for her as any.

11th Galena

Today I have brought our twenty-ninth member of the population into being.

22nd Galena - Rikkir's Notes

Diorite is walking, Glacies is pleased.

24th Galena - Rikkir's Log

My youngest walks, although it is a little early for him to do so. I hope that it doesn't affect Glacies in any usual ways.

14th Limestone - Pete's Military Logs

A goblin assassin calling himself Ngerxung Amxuudu attacked Pete outside of the walls today. Pete beat him away without injury, which was fortunate as we later discovered his Scourge was poisoned with a dangerous extract created from Gnomeblight.

I've told Mulch and Maggarg to keep this information, and any further information of such attacks, secret from Rikkir. Should she know, she may act in a way that could endanger us all in the long run.

15th Limestone - Maggarg's Diary

A goblin raid attacked our west gate today. The majority of the first wave were captured by our cage traps, however two of the spearmen broke through and we were forced to dispatch them.

As I left the front gate to guard the exit so we could reset the traps, a second wave of goblins attacked, a lone crossbowgoblin behind a mob of wrestlers firing a shot that went unconfortably close to the swordsdwarf's torso.

The within Mulch, Jack, and I had clashed into the goblin group, swords and hammers sending goblin bodies flying as normal. They danced the dance of death, untouchable by fist, bolt, or spear as goblins fell around them like trees. Within minutes the goblins were routed.

As the dust settled Jack and I were able to stop and catch our breath, looking at one another with the joy that comes with combat, until we noticed that one of our number was missing.

Mulch was nowhere to be seen.

15th Limestone

Mulch drifted as the water flowed above him. His mind elsewhere as he felt the eddies of the current tug and pull at him, while the fight raged above. Even without being able to participate, he knew Maggarg and Jack were winning. Ancient dwarven techniques, some learned, some remembered, had bolstered all of their strength to almost superdwarven levels.

He had fallen into the moat, dragging two wrestlers with him as he sank beneath the murky water, turning the turbulent watercourse into bloody vortex of death.  Around him bolts fell and floated while the two creatures beside him in the channel him tore at his armor with a frenzy before the lack of oxygen caused them to succumb into unconsciousness. Indeed, two of his fingers on his right hand were bruised from their efforts, a more painful and dangerous wound than many he had been delt over the years. However, the fall and water hardly hindered his ability to fight, and the two he had taken with him had long lay dead at the bottom of the moat. Where they belonged.

Mulch knew that his time left wasn't long. His ability to hold his breath was good, but his armor weighed him down enough that there was no means with which he could free himself easily. Not one of the village knew how to swim, save perhaps Rikkir due to her work on the moat fifteen years past, and none of them had seen him fall into the water. It was only a short matter of time before he was forced to exhale, and then inhale the liquid that surrounded him.

Still, it wasn't a bad way to go. The water made him feel lighter, almost boyant when compared with his normal mode of travel. The weight of the years and armor he had so naturally assumed would be there since he had become the head of the military turned on it's head in the face of immanent demise. He had children to carry on his legacy, and a number of masterpieces that his name would be remembered in for all eternity. Especially Bithitmokez Enen Mamot, the cornerstone of all of their bread, wheat, and meal.

Above the noise stopped. Mulch wondered if the fighting was over. He doubted any of the others had been hurt, but one can never tell in battle. Civilians might have gotten entangled with the goblins ,like Glacies had before. Like Frea, back when a goblin raid like this was a real concern. There are so many ways to get hurt and killed in the world, it was almost painful to think about it.

Mulch looked up as the blood from the goblins rose in the water, tracing a gentle swirl of red that mingled with the thin trail of bubbles from his nose. It was truely beautiful, in it's own way. Life... death... Perhaps dying in this way wasn't so bad. Just not breathing... it was almost like going to sleep.

Mulch gagged on the fresh air as a strong pair of arms pulled him free of the moat. Sticky blood clinging to his armor like paste as he was borne free of the embrace of death. Familier fingers interlocked and heaved against his chest, while warm lips opened his mouth and breathed new life into his cooling body.

Pain. It was painful, that breath. But once was all that the lungs needed to start moving again. Their ragged individualism fighting his desire to stop and rest. The organs moved of their own violation, clearing the throat and chest of the bonds of liquid that had nearly dragged him into the abyss.

Mulch opened his eyes warily to two dozen worried stares. His limbs leaden and tired as his fingers groped wildly at his side. Moving downward to the fingers that were still on his breat. With a wary smile he lifted the hand and met his wife's grasp.

A cheer rose up from all of the onlookers as Rikkir bent down and lifted him into a poweful hug. Her voice warmer than it had been in years.

"Welcome back to the land of the living."

17th Limestone - The Logs of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal

Mother broke her leg when channeling out a segment of the windmill farm today. A piece of floor turned out to be unstable and sent a cloud of debris out that also injured Zorphius and the war dog Edem Enshaltun. There were no deaths, but Echo refuses to allow Mother to do any more hard work until she recovers.

18th Limestone - The Logs of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal

Due to Mothers's injury, I've been appointed as "officially in charge" until she is fit to walk again. I don't know why I was chosen, especially since Glacies and the older adults have much more experience with leading than I do, but since Mother has made it an official decree, I can hardly refuse her. When I asked Illeit about it she got all huffy. Sparrow told me she thinks it's some kind of a test and Maggarg agrees with her. Both of them say Mother probably wants me to be able to take over for her when she dies.

Whatever.

Anyway, Pete accosted two snatchers outside of the village today while logging. The goblins managed to flee before they were killed, but it's unlikely that those particular goblins will return any time soon.

28th Limestone - The Logs of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal

Wow, Mom has a lot of things to do. Since I've taken over as "Officially in charge" everyone has been bringing me their little problems to solve. Pete keeps telling me that we need to be careful with our wood in case we run out before the new trees grow in. Abod keeps pestering me for fuel to finish an order that we placed weeks ago for pump parts. Father comes in daily with reports our injured, both Sarek AND mother.

Speaking of Sarek, she has been spotted running around town with a goblin thong on her head spouting random nonsense about having discovered the "perfect" sewing pattern. As acting leader and her sister I'm a little worried about this. I don't know what to do, if I tell her to go back to bed and she doesn't... how do I get her to listen? Should I tell dad and have him handle it? Is it a job for our Sheriff? She's been fixated on the loom for days and I really just don't know...

Help me. Someone.

2nd Sandstone - The Logs of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal

I went to visit Sarek in the loom today, as I entered the building the spirits of my ancestors seemed to clutch at my arms, causing the fine hairs there to raise in alarm before I even crossed the threshold. To nerve myself to enter, I forced myself to chant the small prayer that mother had taught me in the old tongue back when I was little.

Zustash Bobrur (Ancient mother)
F'mid, Ur (Listen, Hear)
Sodel id (Shield of Rock)
Tosid ma (Armor me)

Ibmat Vush (Spark of Fire)
Abra, Atal (See, Find)
Athel Datan (Ring of iron)
Era ma (Lead me)

Duthnuren Ubal(Guardian Spirit)
Osal, Ikal (Sing, Heal)
Tadar Iseth (Mortal Quest)
Usen ma (Help me)

Sketches and drawings covered every surface of the workshop, intermixed with dozens of objects of every description. Rough gems, Goshenites, Piles of Gabbro, Brown Zircon, Dog bones, and Gabbro blocks. In the center of it all sat Sarek, her long brown tresses spilling out from under her loose blue cap and coiling on the floor behind her. In her hands she she worked with a single strip of silk. Her hands sewing the billowing material with a masterful efficiancy I hadn't seen her use in over a year. It was mesmerizing, beautiful. She was radiant, perfect, a goddess of cloth surrounded by the sparks of her imagination while the twinkling lights of the stars shone down through the thatch roof.

I fell to my knees as I watched, my body backing itself out of the door as I wept. With force I struggled against the pull of her artistry, my hands numb as I gripped the edge of the door and pulled it shut behind me. When I was able to stand, I ran. I never looked back at that expression on her face, the look of total contentment and masterful ecstasy.

Will I ever be able to look at her the same again?

4th Sandstone - The Logs of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal

Sarek has returned to bed today, her work completed. The others talk about it constantly, calling it Eshommishos, Silencebeached. It is a Chausse* made of spider silk, covered with decorations of all types. Those who have seen it speak of little else, their conversations saturated with the love of this new toy. They call it an artifact, a work of legends.

For some reason, I break into a cold sweat when I think of it.

*-A type of Breeches or Stockings worn by men, I had to look that one up :)

17th Timber - The Logs of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal

Things have been quiet over the last few weeks, gratefully. While Mother has been resting Abod has virtually taken over for her in caring for the baby. It's kind of funny, watching Abod try to figure out how to care for her without any help. She seems constantly confused, and panics constantly when the baby fusses. I suppose I'm a little immune to it, having lived with mom through so many children, but Abod seems so... out of her element.

Still, the face she has when she feeds the baby is really sweet.

1st Moonstone - The Log of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal
One of our older war dogs, Kubuk Nishagesh, died today when it fell into a weapon trap. Her end was mercifully short, at least. The trap, true to it's nature, shredded her in seconds.

1st Granite, 1073 - The Logs of Tirean Eshan, Cardinal

As the new year comes around, Mother still lies in her bed, incapable or unwilling to give us her guidance. The brief times she spends conscious given entirely to her conversations with Father.

The winter was calm this year, and little of note happened from my last entry in the Autumn.

In other news, Sarek has started walking around again. This is the first time I have seen her since her possession, and she seems as radiant as ever. It's almost as if nothing has passed between us... for her at least. Though she still bears a few spikes from the broken head of the lance that had run through her gut. She has been unwilling to allow us to remove it, and has actually incorporated it into the way that she walks and works with such facility that I wonder if removing it will ever be necessary. Abod has spoken of simply waiting for it to fall out of it's own accord.

The baby still remains with the rest of us. We take turns feeding and caring for it. Abod, with so much free time on her hands when compared to the rest of us, has cared for the little girl the most. Over the last few months she has learned how to convince the child to safely drink and eat on her own, and has overcome her nervousness when the babe cries in the night. It's almost as if she has become the baby's mother...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:06:34 pm by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:52 pm »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20:25 pm »

As an added note: I have two unclaimed (Female) dwarves, if anyone wants them. One is a child, one is a baby.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 21, 2009, 03:35:41 am »

Yay!  Linakesh shall construct ever greater traps, until the entire fortress is rigged to self-destruct with a single lever, should the foul elves and their goblin allies ever overrun our fair walls!
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 21, 2009, 04:32:45 am »

Considering the construction methods used in this fortress, rigging the entire thing would very much be a Megaproject. Sadly, I'm working on two other semimegaprojects right now (The grainery and the RRD) otherwise I might give it a go.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:44 am »

Oh, fiddlesticks. ^.^ Well, it'll be a very far-flung future project post-Legendary Mechanic ^.^ Assuming little Linakesh doesn't pick up a pacifistic streak and start developing things to protect the elven merchants against drowning and other murder methods. *chuckles*

Anyway, been following along, and glad it's still going strong ^.^
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 22, 2009, 12:26:55 am »

Herpmh, for some strange reason I haven't gotten a 30th dwarf yet. It's been a year since the last birth, and neither mother is making us into a Town.

I wonder what gives?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 22, 2009, 01:00:04 pm »

You don't have any popcap settings that would stop it, do you?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:08 pm »

Nope, my population settings are default.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 22, 2009, 04:16:10 pm »

There's a child/baby cap in the init files, perhaps you have reached that limit? If so, then you'll just have to wait another year for a child to mature.

Or perhaps the male dwarves arn't feeling frisky to shoot those spores?
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 22, 2009, 09:37:51 pm »

Oh, fiddlesticks. ^.^ Well, it'll be a very far-flung future project post-Legendary Mechanic ^.^ Assuming little Linakesh doesn't pick up a pacifistic streak and start developing things to protect the elven merchants against drowning and other murder methods. *chuckles*

Anyway, been following along, and glad it's still going strong ^.^
Maybe you could rig something with pressure plates to block or disconnect the depot lever when there's someone inside. Bonus RP points if it hooks up to a complicated trap so it only works when the depot's empty and jams the doors when it's occupied.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29