Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50663 times)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2008, 08:05:14 am »

Double Post, ><
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:33:01 am by Jamini »
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2008, 09:30:22 am »

Note - Somehow last update I accidentally skipped some of the spring entries. I've included them here.

18th Slate - Feb's Diary

I watched Glacies hunt today. She initially attempted to refuse, telling me that it was too dangerous at this time of year. The wolves are out again in force and hunting has become a hazardous occupation, but I insisted and after some pressure she gave in and told me to follow, but not attempt to help in case I startled the wolves.

It was amazing, watching her fight. When we first spotted the wolves she motioned me back and began to approach them from an angle. Her feet making no sound as she waltzed through the undergrowth like a wraith. With precision she shot two bolts in the trailing wolf, downing it before the dog even noticed the bolt.

The rest of the pack however, had heard the twang of her crossbow, and charged at Glacies hiding spot as she hurried to reload. Immediately she sprung into action, ratcheting back the heavy lever to reload faster than the eye can blink and unloading her bolts into the five remaining wolves. The first two went down instantly, a killing bolt landing in the heart and head respectivly. However the third and fourth shots went wide of their mark, lancing into the legs of the third bitch wolf. She tripped and staggered through the pain untill she fell into the fifth shot, a long trail of blood marking where she has passed.

Glacies turned to face the remaining two, but the third wolf had cost her time and resources. As the fourth wolf approached, a thinner, mangy creature with a mean look in it's eyes, Glacies hands slapped into an empty quiver, the last of her shots already used for the previous kills.

Nonplussed and much to my suprise, Glacies charged forward. Her bow swiging in a wide arc as she brought it down behind the wolf's head. The first of the two remaining members of the pack flew back from her hit, tumbling down a steep incline from the force of the blow. As it hit the ground I could hear the sounds of many delicate bones cracking from the impact.

The remaining creature stopped just outside of Gla, circling Glacies warily. Looking for an opening. Not having any of this, Glacies charged forward past it's defenses, thrusting the head of the crossbow forward like a dagger or spear. The wolf staggered back with a gurgling yelp as it's chest collapsed under the blow. Although I am not certain, I think it may have been dead before it hit the ground.

Watching her fight like that, I really hope I never make my wife angry.

27th Felsite - Rikkir's Log

The old wolf-bitch died of old age today. Illeit and Illiterate cried as we interred her body in our recently-constructed pet cemetery in the chasm.

15th Hematite

The humans have arrived again, eager to trade. This year, we've boxed much of what we wish to get rid of in bins for easy transport to the depot. The humans seemed rather excited when we started bringing the bins into the depot.

I wonder how they will react when we remind them that we will KEEP the boxes.

19th Malachite

The humans have left, their wagons and spirits much lighter and richer. As the last merchant cleared the gate we threw a party in celebration of the sheer amount of Iron we have gotten from them.

22nd Galena

I'm... I'm a grandmother.

Today Glacies gave birth to her first child, a bouncing baby boy she has nicknamed Ilral for lack of a better name. Looking at her and him, I can't help but remember Frea, how she gave her life to protect us all. She has named the child Diorite, making his full name Diorite Esrur... the first of a wholly new family amongst our little village.

Sometimes I wonder if Glacies is simply following in her mother's footsteps.

24th Galena

Hardly a day after Glacies brings her first child into the world I give birth to yet another child. A girl. Bringing our population to 28.

Very soon I think that we may need to install a more permanent form of governance for our little village. Although right now we are small enough for every dwarf to support one another, the children struggle and fight amongst themselves far more than is prudent, and unless a true form of governance is formed these small rivalries may turn into open fights, or even vendettas.

24th Limestone

Today we laid the final stones of the second level of the grainery down and have started stockpiling food. Echo still expresses her doubts about the effectiveness of an aboveground food supply, especially in light of our recent vermin problems. To counter, I have pointed out the excess of caresses the cats bring up from our existing food store. If anything, moving our food will help preserve it from the miasma that the dead rodents spew over everything in the vicinity.

2nd Sandstone

Today Sarek and Fireheart have announced their engagement, much to the joy of everyone else.

Abod seemed rather reticent though, perhaps I should talk to her about what is on her mind. She had mentioned the potential of courting the young warrior, and it could be problematic if the two of them start fighting for his affections. Especially considering one has easy access to weapons and armor...

In fact, I think I will go talk to Abod NOW.

27th Timber

Fre is old enough to work now, already he has spent a few hours in the kitchen, working like mad to learn the arts his mother had known.

13th Moonstone

A small squad of goblin axemen attacked the south gate today. They were easily repulsed.

20th Moonstone

Another squad of goblis attacked the west gate today. Jack went out to intercept them with her hammer. There were no casualties.

21st Moonstone
 Sarek was attacked south of the wall today when looting the weapons and armor of some of the goblins who had recently attacked. She managed to evade her pursuers, but not before a pikeman managed to hit her in the gut with his pike. With herculean effort she managed to reach the gatehouse, where the traps captured the goblins who attacked her. The damage has been done however, and she will spend some time recovering from the wound.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:31:55 am by Jamini »

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2008, 10:30:59 am »

Alrighty.

I vandalised a cathedral. That's bad. I like cathedrals.
I've been used. That's bad. I don't like being used, even if I like the cause.
I've given birth. That's  :o.

Permission to make a little hut with a moat around it that I can live in during hunting season? Preferably with a drawbridge. I ccould lurk there and plot plots or something.

Also, if I do my math right, a dwarf lives for 180-some years and has a baby or three every 9 months after they turn, oh, let's say 20?...Holy Lenod, who brings in the dawn, that's a lot of children. They must just fall out after No. 20.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2008, 10:38:16 am »

Thank god I'm a male dwarf.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 31, 2008, 01:50:10 am »

Map

1st Granite

As the year draws to a close, I worry about our future. While we live in a land of plenty, with resources and allies to fall back upon for food, we still sit here at the mercy of the elements.

To remedy this, I have begun construction of a rain catcher. In case the last of our brook ever dries up. This machine, when finished, will run and filter rainwater into a large underground resoviour where it will stay until we have need of it. Then, it will be pumped through a series of automated filters to the pond, where it can be drawn out as needed.

Quite ingenious really, almost everyone was impressed.

Glacies asked me today if I dig a moat for a hunting lodge could build her a small home outside the confines of town. If the plans for the resoviour were not already in place and partially dug out, I might have considered it. Right now though, she will need to wait until the new community undertaking is complete.

6th Granite

I received word today that Sarek was feeling somewhat better. Obviously she isn't fit to work yet, but her wounds had apparently reached a far more  stable condition. Illeit told me that she was feeling much better, spending her time alert and sitting up in her bed. Since my schedule has been fairly open for the first time in weeks, I chose to take over water-giving duties from Sparrow and check on her myself.

I was surprised to find Fireheart there when I arrived, his voice low and husky as he and Sarek spoke. When I entered the room he quickly jumped to his feet, almost as if he were ashamed or embarrassed at my arrival. They nodded at me as I showed both of them the bucket of water, Sarek smiling wanly as I poured a small mug of the plain liquid for her to drink while the champion excused himself.

"So, you've taken to young fireheart then? Or he you?"

She flushed as I drowned out her protests with a second mug of water, her body recognizing it's need for hydration and quickly seizing the cup. After a long drought she looked up, her face flushed as she looked down the pike that still extended from her gut.

"You could tell?" She asked incredulously.

"It's written on your face dear." I said as genially as I could, working to keep annoyance off of my face. "He's a fine man, and when you two marry you both will probably have many beautiful, strong children."

Her face scrunched up, the expression of distaste clear as she took the bucket from my hands and poured a third mug for herself. "I don't really want that, Mom. I'd be happy with two. A boy and a girl."

"Nonesense!" I exclaimed, my patience with her already running short "If our village is to survive we need to grow. I can't go having my children be content with only two children, especially with the fact that there are so many more eligible girls than boys. Think Sarek, you need to have a big family! Otherwise one unlucky night, or one attack, could whipe us all out. We are that last Sarek, we need to make sacrifices for ourselves for the good of all of us."

She finished her third cup, handing the half-empty bucket back to me and pointing towards the door, "That's enough Mom, I want to sleep." Awkwardly she rolled over, taking care not to jostle the pike too much as she settled down for sleep.

I let myself out, dumping the bucket on the ground outside of her room. I will need to talk to her again when  she is feeling better. She will understand.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:55:23 am by Jamini »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 31, 2008, 08:02:30 am »

Awkwardly she rolled over, taking care not to jostle the pike too much as she settled down for sleep

Dwarven healthcare at its finest! I can just imagine someone lying in bed with a 6foot pike sticking out of them :P

Magma is overrated.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 01, 2009, 01:28:16 am »

@glacies: with dwarves, even the first baby basically just falls on the floor.

A question: do dwarves go for their cousins?  Otherwise, it'll be hard to get a population going.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 01, 2009, 02:21:51 am »

Also, if I do my math right, a dwarf lives for 180-some years and has a baby or three every 9 months after they turn, oh, let's say 20?
Actually they simply start having children immediately after they marry, so a good estimate might be 15 years of age to start off with. If they live 180 years and have a child every 9 months after 15, then that works out to about 220 children, with no multiple births
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 01, 2009, 04:02:02 am »

Not my lower body  >:( I shall make them pay!!!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 01, 2009, 04:27:23 am »

So you haven't removed the stuck in pike yet?  That will slow recovery by a fair margin...
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 01, 2009, 05:56:14 am »

Also, if I do my math right, a dwarf lives for 180-some years and has a baby or three every 9 months after they turn, oh, let's say 20?
Actually they simply start having children immediately after they marry, so a good estimate might be 15 years of age to start off with. If they live 180 years and have a child every 9 months after 15, then that works out to about 220 children, with no multiple births

A dwarf that lives for 180 years?

Are you forgetting Goblin Raids, Human Raids, Elven Snack Sieges, Dwarf-made disasters, Strange Moods with lack of materials...

The chance of a dwarf to live for 180 years would be extremely low.

Still, would be rather cool to do! :D
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 01, 2009, 07:52:42 pm »

So you haven't removed the stuck in pike yet?  That will slow recovery by a fair margin...

It doesn't affect recovery. In fact, removing the pike would cause bleeding that at this stage problably will result in death. When she recovers she will remove it on her own, probably breaking her lower body again and requiring a few more weeks bedrest.

Glacies had the same problem.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2009, 02:45:47 pm »

I modded the raws on mine to let dwarves live to 300.
I like the idea of a dwarf with 300 years worth of beard full of 300 years worth of dinner.
The Dwarvish Beard Rat comes to mind.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 13, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »

So Jamini, how are things coming along?
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 18, 2009, 09:41:18 pm »

Instead of a bump, which rarely seems to work, I'll try a different approach.

_____  _____
     \/     

Dip
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29