Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50670 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2008, 09:31:34 am »

Cause you're crazy?  It's not that hard to get worlds where dwarven civilizations are nothing but names.  There probably haven't been any dwarves in this world in centuries.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Once I get my computer back up and running I'll post my unit screen. Trust me, there have been no immigrants or nobles. ^^
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2008, 10:21:51 am »

Somehow I think he'd love to have the surviving noble angle to play with. It would also thicken the genepool.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 03, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

Rikker just needs to give birth 27 more times for the Dungeon Master to show.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 05, 2008, 10:44:48 am »

Somehow I think he'd love to have the surviving noble angle to play with. It would also thicken the genepool.

I've got something better coming up once my damn power supply comes in. Fortunately, I sent myself a little of the history log recently so I could post at work. I'll give a small update shortly.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2008, 11:52:47 am »

25th Granite - The Cathedral

The Cathedral rested silently in its rocky tomb, silence pervading it's halls. There was no movement as the first shafts of the morning sunlight lit the four small vertical shafts cut in the ceiling and slowly cast itself onto the half-finished iron floor. There it struck, and refracted in all directions, lighting the of the two golden statues that sat on either side of the altar in a scintillating display of color, and quietly illuminating the mosaic on the ceiling in a off grey-gold light.

On the surface the soft chirps of Robins and Blue jays filled the air around Rikkir. Their soft voices declaring for all to hear, "Spring is here! Spring has come!" in such a tedious, overwhelming manner that the dwarf felt sick from their vitality. The birds of spring were a reminder, in a way, of the pain that Rikkir had felt nineteen years ago. The blue-eyed dwarf sighed as she began to descend down the staircase. The inane titter of the birds above growing muted, and then silent as she carefully navigated the golden stair and emerged in the central chamber. Like everything in the cathedral it was true gold, dwarven gold, and no manner of man, goblin, or elf would change that as long as the old miner lived.

Rikkir smiled wanly as she closed the metallic door behind her, surveying the room that was her throne room, altar, and office in one. Clean, neat, and beautiful, there was only one word to describe it: extravagant. It was favorably comparable to any temple that had existed in the mountain halls of her birth and, more importantly, it was hers. It was sculpted and designed by her hands and her hands alone, built on a foundation of trust between her and her closest friend, and engraved by the man she called her husband. No other dwarf will ever hold such a claim to the cathedral as she does, and no other dwarf would be as comfortable within its confines.

With a content smile she loosed her coat and approached the altar. Carefully she drew back the chair hidden behind it, so not to scratch the solid iron floor, and sat down before the papers that had already been placed there. Requests could be placed by any dwarf within the village for jobs that needed done, or items that needed built. Then Rikkir would review and list them according to importance. For a leader such as Rikkir there was no end to such business, as she not only gave spiritual advice, but was the secular leader of the village as well.

For a time the older dwarf worked in silence, blankly filling out form after form of requests. So busy was she that she hardly noticed that another dwarf was with her until a gentle voice disturbed her.

"Mother..."

Rikkir paused, looking over her papers in surprise as the slender form of Feb reached over the altar to touch her shoulder. His eyes a murky whorl of grays and browns like his father's, and his hands slender and callused from hours spent carving bone. His blue tunic and pants were loose on him, still overlarge on his growing frame, and as he stood he fidgeted uncomfortably, still not wholly used to needing clothing of any sort. Upon seeing him Rikkir's face gentled, her own thick hands lighting from their work to grab his and a warm smile gracing her normally cold face. "Yes Feb? What is it?"

The boy... no, the young man, Rikkir reminded herself fiercely, figited under her touch. His face was pained as a battle fought behind his eyes. He bit his lip and shook his head, uncertain, and then finally burst out. "Mother... It's Glacies. She is up top meeting with the elves, again."

The color drained from Rikkir's motherly expression as she heard those words. Her eyes flew down to the paperwork on her desk as she noticed the signature on the orders below. "Tricked, I've been tricked!" She screeched fiercely, her words reverberating throughout the entire chamber as she raced towards the main doors. Her hands slipped off of the door knob as she tried to open it, the mechanisms within the door preventing it from opening. With an angry cry she forced her shoulder against the door, the heavy barrier not budging an inch as she attempted to force it again and again.

Someone, somewhere, had betrayed her.
 Again.

26th Granite - Glacies Diary

Ziril protect! Somehow Rikkir has had Feb locked away with her in the cathedral in an attempt to prevent me from trading with the elves. The audacity! She is willing to hurt her own flesh and blood for this... vendetta. The others do not know that I have locked her away, and I can't tell them what happened to Feb without giving away my own

Tonight, after dealing with the elves, I will hurry down and free Feb by any means necessary... even if it means killing his mother.

What is this? I hear screams!   

27th Granite - Glacies Diary

The depot! Someone has closed the gates to the depot on one of the elves, despite my orders otherwise. Nobody will admit to it, but the guilty look in the faces of the older dwarves burns into my mind as I try and determine which of them has betrayed me. At once I threw open the lever to release the elves, their faces filled with fury as the bridge came down.      They left without a word. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:20:13 pm by Jamini »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2008, 04:22:17 pm »

I'm with ya, sis, come good or bad!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2008, 02:02:57 am »

This whole manner is unbecoming of our fortress.  Squabling like humans.  Sometimes I just don't understand anything.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2008, 09:09:17 am »

Question for you Maggarg: Are swords ok for your first weapon trained?
Why, Old Uncle maggarg was a swordsdwarf!
In other words, yes.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2008, 01:37:08 am »

30th Granite

"Rikkir?"

The hesitant voice of Mulch echoed in the dark confines of the temple as he pushed free the heavy door blocking the entrance, the small candle in his hands flickering as air rushed in from the main room. Beyond the only light visible was a single slender shaft of starlight that had filtered through one of the four narrow skylights. It's wane illumination casting the room in a dark, silvery glow. As he listened his words filled the air, their echos reaching the far wall and rebounding, colliding with one another in a dull murmer as they reached their orginal speaker.

"Rikk...urk!" Mulch gagged as a pair of hands wrapped themselves around his throat and a thick leg wrapped itself behind his knees, the combined force of both quickly bringing him to the floor. Before he could fight back he felt the weight of his assailant land on his bulk, a sharp knee digging fiercly into his side and a second pair of hands pinning his arms behing his back. The candle went out, leaving the dwarf blind as he struggled in vein to breathe against the python-like hands of his attacker.

"Mother, stop. It's father." A familiar voice said hesitantly from just outside of Mulch's vision. A blurry shape stepping from the shadows and pulling the heavy dwarf atop of him to one side with some effort. A few heartbeats passed as the three of them engaged in an intense three-way wrestling match, until Mulch felt the hands around his throat finally loosen.

"M...Mulch?" Rikkir gasped, her voice raspy from lack of liquids. Her features were obscured in the low light, only the ragged outline of her head and body visible to the pinned dwarf. In the starlight her hair splayed out in a whispy pattern, catching the beams of light and scattering them in a silver radiance. With pained care she turned her husband around to look into his face, a faint shaft of moonlight slowly cresting the edge of the the nearest skylight to illuminate his paniced face. Recognizing him, she lifted his chest and face to hers before planting a passionate kiss on his lips.

They sat embraced for a moment as Mulch regained his bearings, the sudden change from assault to romance leaving his emotional mind utterly confused for a second. The world swam for a moment, and then snapped into focus as he caught up to the present and began to returned the embrace. The sat there for a short time, before Mulch pulled himself free to take a deep breath.

"...not the welcome I was expecting." Mulch panted slightly as Rikkir rolled off of him to the left and climbed to her feet. Mulch lay there for a moment, recovering from the scuffle while a sharp pain in his side informed him that he would be very sore in the morning. After a few seconds his breathing became normal and he levered himself into a sitting position. "What now?"

Rikkir was silent as the slender form of Feb offered to pull his father up with his right hand. His back muscles tense as she stared into the darkness with such an intensity that Mulch almost thought that she was counting the number of iron tiles left to be installed in the main room. At his side Feb spoke so softly he was barely audible, "It was Glacies."

"What?" Mulch asked.

"She locked us in here. I know it." Feb choked, his mind black with thoughts of betrayal. The blond highlights in his hair catching the ever-growing silver rays of moonlight and holding them like the softly glowing tear-gems of Likot.

"How did you know that?" Mulch asked in suprise,

"Stopping mom from killing the elves... It's all she ever talks about. Besides... we love each other. There are not many things she keeps secret from me. That's probably why she locked me away as well, to stop me from freeing mother."

"If that is the case, she can't be working alone. She was at the depot all day, Trading."  Mulch said thoughtfully, his brow knotting in concentration as he mentally retraced the steps of the young woman. "We need to find her accomlices."

"No." Rikkir's voice cut off the chatter of her husband and son, an emotionless mask placed to hide her rage and the darkness hiding her hands, shaking in fury. "She has went too far this time. Glacies will be punished."

"Mother, you can't! Not without knowing..." Feb began, his voice filled with fear and concern as he reached for his mother's shoulder. A loop of cloth falling away from the cuff of his tunic and swinging wildly in the air below his hand as Rikker intercepted it and knocked it away, her face contorted with emotion as she whirled to face her son.

"Yes I can! I am the leader of this community, and Glacies has wronged us all for far too long. She has openly consorted with our enemies, and has now attacked me twice, as well as my son and her fiance. As the high priestess and official leader of Ulolgeshud, I hearby declaire that Glacies is to be imprisoned at first opprotunity, not to be released until I see fit!"

4th Slate

At once I confiscated a diary from Echo today. Mad, insane drivel, calming that *I* am behind Frea's death! Ludicrous! Echo is clearly touched in the head and unsafe to have around the rest of our society. All of her writing materials have been confiscated and burned. Any further writing by her will be brought to me for analysis, or else it will suffer the same fate.

As Glacies, it's clear by her actions that she was behind the deplorable attack on me and Feb. I have locked her up so she will not run away while I find an appropriate punishment for her. Her actions have made it clear to me that I cannot her to return to their normal duties until she has been properly reeducated in the dwarven way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:20:05 pm by Jamini »

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2008, 12:18:09 pm »

Rikkir has produced a legendary prison. It menaces with spikes of tyranny.
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 08, 2008, 12:45:54 pm »

A suitable punishment...

Perhaps leaving her armed inside the depot next spring, to fight off the eventually beserk elves she tried so hard to deal with...

Mwahaha, I'm an evil b*gger
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 08, 2008, 02:48:37 pm »

the line between hero and tyrant is very thin..
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 08, 2008, 04:06:45 pm »

A suitable punishment...

Perhaps leaving her armed inside the depot next spring, to fight off the eventually beserk elves she tried so hard to deal with...

Mwahaha, I'm an evil b*gger

I approve of this insanity!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 08, 2008, 04:36:16 pm »

Code: [Select]
+-----------------+
|                 |
|  Free Glacies!  |
|                 |
+-----------------+
        | |
        | |
---------
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29