Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50688 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2008, 04:12:38 pm »

illiterate, I read the first Dune book, thought, "Good, now I can say I've read Dune," and then promptly forgot all about it.  I get this info from 3 years of high-school biology (3 different classes), so it still might be a little off.

I would just like to say that not all rednecks are inbred, shotgun-toting, southern-pride-yelling, banjo-playing, evangelical fools.  In addition, I believe in Tolkien mythology, female dwarves were distinguishable from male dwarves only due to their lack of a beard.

On topic, who are the two lovers?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:19:18 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »

Nope.  Both genders have beards.  The clothing is the only way to tell them apart.  http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarf

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2008, 10:42:20 pm »

Frelock -- dune messiah and children of are pretty crunchy, actually.   children is easier to follow.  god emperor is a pretty long slog to a somewhat disappointing end...  i couldn't get into the last two... 

as for the main book itself...  Dune took me several readings to understand.  it's thick.  almost impenetrable.   
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2008, 01:38:27 am »

To be absolutely honest, I don't think a dorf would notice inbreeding.
They're weird enough anyway.

I'm quite certain Dwarves would notice when all of the children don't grow beards.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2008, 05:07:13 am »

Have us breed with captured elf stock.  ;D

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2008, 11:06:44 am »

That subject came up during a game of munchkin when someone played halfbreed to become a dwarf/elf..

"Oh... GIMLI!!"
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2008, 02:47:36 pm »

Have us breed with captured elf stock.  ;D

I'll see the dwarven race reduced to dimwitted, three-eyed, drooling clowns before that happens!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2008, 12:18:45 am »

Yay, the forums are back.

I'll be able to post tomorrow after I get back from classes. We've got a little catching up to do, but I decided against continuing to play while the forums were down (because I would have ended up year and year ahead, and that would make an impossible update for me.)

Either way, cheers!
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2008, 01:20:50 am »

Nice to have you back!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:32 am »

Martian, I don't have any more boys availible right now. There is a girl that will be born in the next year, if you want her. Otherwise you may end up waiting a while.

The girl would be great, thanks.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:21 pm »

Wheres my update =[
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2008, 08:22:12 pm »

30th Granite, 1068 - Echo's Diary.

It seems like it has been an eternity since I have put this pen to paper. So much has happened in so little time. Two years gone in what now seems like a flash of color and light. So much pain, so much power. Our triumphs, and our losses.

None of us knew when the troubles began. I have my suspicions, but I don't dare mention them in front of any of the others. I do strongly believe that Frea's death at the hands of the goblins is no accident. She and Rikkir has butted heads far too often on staple issues, and neither had backed down when balked. While I don't believe that Rikkir had engineered the death of my closest friend, that doesn't mean I want her to think I am crazy either. I can't even tell anyone else either, for fear that they are in on the conspiracy and would slay me to protect their own life.

My private belief was once again aroused on the twelfth of Malachite two years ago in 1066. The day that Rikkir gave birth to Zorpius. While she was indisposed in her room I noticed a great deal of the others consorting with the humans, bartering outside of the jurisdiction of Glacies. She didn't seem to mind, it was less work for her after all, but the conversations between the men and the others seemed at time strained.

It was not until Glacies had begun her negotiations with the trade representative Atir Gidozin that I began to have my doubts about the others. At first he had refused to see her, only wishing to talk to Frea. Upon discovering that she was dead he had quickly sobered, standing outside of the meat hall and refusing to talk for days. It took three of us to drag him inside of the building when he slept .

He was fairly stubborn, consistently trying to deter us from talking with him. But after a while Glacies finally managed to convince him to tell her what was on his mind, so long as the rest of us left the building. None of us were happy with the situation, but we need the trade. They spoke for a long time when they were in there and afterward not one thing was mentioned about it.

Months passed. Sparrow turned thirteen on the 21st and informed us that she was interested in making crafts, a professions that now had a use that we were trading with the humans. In the 7th of Limestone Illeit also had her coming of age, where I offered her a position in the kitchens when she gave a blank stare to Mulch when he asked her what she wanted to do for a living. Sometime during the winter Feb and Glacies announced their engagement, surprising no-one except for the fact that they hadn't married yet.

However, it was on the 12th of Gran

[The entry ends here in mid-sentance. Thick burn marks mark the rest of the page and volume]

12th Granite 1067 - Rikkir's Log

The elven caravan has arrived once again, boasting far more animals than the previous years and many a joy-filled face at the prospect of trading with us. Some of the others, the older ones if hair length is anything to go by I spotted hollowly looking at the stumps left behind by our logging operations or following the racing of my children with a hungry gaze. Since they insisted I took them on a much abbreviated tour of the cathedral, noting the disgust on their faces as they looked at the engravings on the walls around the main chamber. One even went so far as to ask how many trees we burnt for charcoal in order to build the main room. Barbarians, they obviously cannot appreciate art, despite their claims.

I've locked Glacies in her room until the elves are dealt with. There will be no trading with the pointy-eared menace this year.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:25:24 pm by Jamini »

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2008, 01:04:36 pm »

Yay, you're back!

No trading with the elves, that is what I like to hear.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2008, 02:39:06 pm »

"Let. Me. Out!" Glacies screamed as she slammed against the door of her bedroom again, the heavy stone rattling on its hinges in response to the abuse delt to it by it's owner. The room behind her was a mess, her coffer and cabinet long-since broken in her rage at discovering that the door was locked. Glacies' clothing, and a few things belonging to Feb, were strewn about the room, thrown there in her rage and left forgotten about the floor.

Outside of the room Glacies could hear the elves in the distance. Their confused voices asking faintly, they must have been far away, when the trader would arrive. Calling out to Rikkir to open the gates and talk with them. Even going so far as to call threats out to the Priestess. It was clear that Rikkir had already sentanced the elves to death, like she had so many times before. Glacies felt her anger swell as she thought of all the lives, the men, women, and children who her "leader" was sentancing to death simply because of what they were. It was sickening, disgusting... it was WRONG!

With a bitter sob Glacies slammed the door one more time, falling to her knees as the strudy construct didn't move. Mulch's work, even one as old as the door, was solid. There was no way that she could remove it alone without tools, especially from the wrong side of the door. She was stuck. So caught up was she in her dispair that she hardly heard the soft scuffle on the other side of the door, followed closely by a familier voice. "Glacies?"

It was a male voice, one soft and unhardened by the years of work that their parents had undertaken in establishing Ulolgeshud. Unmarked by same hard year that Glacies had spent mostly outside of the walls, living and working in all weather to bring in extra food and leather that her family and community needed. A voice that she knew and knew well. "Feb? Feb, is it you?"

"Illeit was right. You are here." sad disappointment filled his voice as he formed the words.

"Feb, you're here. You can help me, let me out so I can stop Rikkir." Glacies pleaded, struggling with the locked knob on the door, "Please Feb, help me before she kills them!"

"I thought I knew you Glacies." Feb said cooly, his voice resigned, "I thought that because I loved you, I knew you. I was wrong."

"What? Feb, what are you saying?"

"How can you even think about sparing them, after all their kind has done to ours. They killed our parents parents, they murdered them in the night and consumed their flesh. They burned our ancestral home and desectrated our temples and cathedrals" Feb's voice rose as he recited the atrocities the elves had committed, his voice burning with a white-hot anger that he rarely showed. "They drove our parents out of our home and chased us to the corner of the world, whittling our original numbers from a fit thirty to seven. They enslaved what little remained of our kind and sold us as animals! They drove what little remained of our people insane! Even now they hire goblin mercenaries and lead them against us! Think Glacies, why should we spare them?"

"These elves are not the same as the ones who drove us out! I've talked with them, haven't you? They don't think of us as enemies, they respect us and are willing to trade things we desperately need." Glacies' voice was plaintive, her throat catching on the words as she struggled to keep back the tears that once agian threatened to overwhealm her.

"Elves are elves Glacies. I.. I don't know you anymore. I don't think I ever will either. They deserve death and nothing else. After what they've done to our kind, it's the least we can do in return for them."

Glacies recoiled from the doors as she heard those words, swallowing fiercely to clear her throat as she felt rage force it's way to the forefront of her mind. Rage was familier, rage was easier to deal with. "That's your mother speaking Feb, not you! This isn't like you at all! Listen to your yourself and tell me you belive what your saying! You can't honestly belive what you're saying!"

Glacies heard Feb sigh, a full and heartfelt action that destroyed her anger in an instant. "Glacies... good bye. I hope when you come out of there you realize how foolish you sound when you are in there." A moment later his boots crunched against the gravel on the path, swiftly growing fainter as he walked away from the his lover's door.

"Feb? Feb! Wait, please! Don't leave me here. Don't leave me alone!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Glacies' wail was heard throughout the village as Feb walked away from her house. His footsteps heavy as heavy as his mind as he walked down the granite steps to the cathedral and knelt to pray before the golden altar.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:41:09 pm by Jamini »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2008, 05:25:33 pm »

Sensible young boy!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29