Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50690 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

Humans just arrived since the population/wealth finally reached the required limits.

Awesome.  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:18 am »

Kids these days.  Trading with elves and whatnot.  What the hell gave her that idea?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2008, 07:58:47 am »

Neoskel, I've had more than enough wealth for years now. Frea's food made sure of that.

I think it's because for the first time in all of Ulolgeshud's history has a caravan of any sort returned home with a profit. :3 Either way, I'm defiantly happy I can finally trade with someone. >:D
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:48 am »

Zorphius, you forgot to count some of the snatched children. At this point in the story I do not have any unclaimed children.

But fortunatly for you...

12th Malachite, The log of Rirdest Iragelu

Trade has been going well with these dwarves. The sheer number of skull totems they have is staggering. A veritable army of goblins must have died here to these dwarves. There is no other way to properly explain the mountain of skulls they traded us. We were happy to take them, of course, the craftsmanship on everything they offered was so good that the prince will be ecastic to resell them in his shops across the land.

The dwarves themselves are a pleasent folk, if a little isolationist. The children in particular are facinated by us, happily trading stories and nicknacks when Glacies isn't brokering deals with us. Glacies has recently brought me to their leader, a dwarf who calls herself Rikkir Esker, a last name that mean clear eyes. Looking into her face, it's throughly fitting. Unlike the rest of her kin, including her children, she has the clearest blue eyes I have ever seen, and the coldest. When I was introduced to her she gave Glacies and I one very long stare before dimssing us both with a wave of her hand. Glacies told me that she acts as a spiritual leader for most of the village, as well as their mother of over half of their population. I did my best not to show suprise at this. After all, my own people's history is filled with similar accounts of interbreeding for survival. Still, it's unsettling to talk to that dwarf. It's almost as if she isn't quite as alive as her children.

Speaking of children, not long after I left the presense of their leader did word come to the caravan that she had given birth to yet another child. Rumor has it, she had named him Zorphius.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2008, 09:03:15 am »

Mother to over half the population.  Slow down woman!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2008, 12:00:53 pm »

You'll end up with a race of stunted, insane madmen who live in dark rooms and make mad plans and...
Damn.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2008, 12:47:40 pm »

May I please have a dwarf? I'm not picky but one in the military would be great. Please call him Martian. Thanks.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2008, 01:38:31 pm »

She's going to be a grandmother soon. Once I get around to tying a certain pair of dwarves into a dark room and start yelling "HAVE SEX DAMNIT!" at the screen for twenty minutes straight until they finally marry.

Martian, I don't have any more boys availible right now. There is a girl that will be born in the next year, if you want her. Otherwise you may end up waiting a while.

Unless of course you want me to use DF companion to make a gay, fertile, childbearing male hermaphradite. But that is your call. :) I have no objections to that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:40:45 pm by Jamini »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2008, 02:37:11 pm »

She's going to be a grandmother soon. Once I get around to tying a certain pair of dwarves into a dark room and start yelling "HAVE SEX DAMNIT!" at the screen for twenty minutes straight until they finally marry.

Martian, I don't have any more boys availible right now. There is a girl that will be born in the next year, if you want her. Otherwise you may end up waiting a while.

Unless of course you want me to use DF companion to make a gay, fertile, childbearing male hermaphradite. But that is your call. :) I have no objections to that.

You'll get that anyway, the way inbreeding is going.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2008, 05:32:33 pm »

You'll get that anyway, the way inbreeding is going.

The population was 10 dwarves 1000 years ago, never rose above a few hundred and has probably been under 100 dwarves for at least the last 3 centuries.  They're already the product of furious inbreeding.  There's not much damage left to do at this point.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2008, 09:44:32 pm »

Inbreeding isn't actually a problem if you start off with the right sample.  The problem with inbreeding is that it allows normally rare recessive traits to propagate throughout the population from a single carrier.  This means that if there's even one person who's a carrier for colorblindness (i.e. their parents had it but they don't), it's likely that everyone will be colorblind within a few generations of inbreeding.  This can be disastrous when the problem isn't colorblindness but say, hemophilia (common in the royalty of Europe for precisely this reason).  However, so long as you start out with the right genetic sample, they might get stronger, faster, and smarter as inbreeding occurs.

Of course, you still have the problem that everyone eventually becomes neigh identical genetically, meaning what kills one, kills all.

And as I say with all my science knowledge, I could be wrong, and have been before.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2008, 11:19:06 pm »

Mendel-ed!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2008, 07:33:19 am »

Frelock, are you sure you aren't getting your genetics from reading the Dune series? 

:P
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:02 pm »

To be absolutely honest, I don't think a dorf would notice inbreeding.
They're weird enough anyway.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2008, 03:19:15 pm »

I think all dorfs are inbred.  The women have beards for goodness sake.  That's the kind of stuff that only happens in Arkansas.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29