Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50758 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2008, 06:47:50 pm »

When I asked for the tomboy, in-your-face kind of girl, I would have never suspected that she would be your plot device to create stress and tension in the story.  She and Rikkir are still friends, right?  Anyhow, you're doing great!  Keep it up!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2008, 08:13:48 pm »

14th Granite

It's terrible! Today two of the elves were outside of the depot when Rikkir flipped the switch. The first was thrown into the drawbridge and broke her arm, while the second was cut off from his friends and forced to wait outside.

They've been arguing for a long time now, the two elves, about us freeing their companions or else they will attack us, hunt us down with their big bows and arrows. Rikkir says no, that they will stay and that the remaining two elves can go if they want, to spread the word that we still exist.

But... but it's wrong! She said she's going to let them starve if the elves don't do anything, and if they do she said she is going to have mulch make them into wood shavings.

Why is Aunt Rikkier doing this, and how can I get her to STOP!

18th Granite - Rikkir
The elf that we sent back to Yifinemo as a warning not to return was ambushed by a group of goblins outside of our gate. Two crossbow goblins shot her and her mule down as they raced back to the safety of our gates. I sort of feel bad for the elf, in those few rare moments when alcohol blinds me to the CARNAGE that her kind have brought upon mine.

Sort of.

The archers also killed one of our many tame raccoons that wander around the inside of our walls.

13th Slate - Glacies

I watched the elves today as one of them tried to kill the other. Their faces were so sad as they wrestled her to the ground, eventually killing her from blood loss.  The remainder of them sat glumly in the depot, paying no attention to their surroundings.

When Rikkir wasn't looking, i opened the gate and offered the last elf food. He thanked me, but turned my offer down. Preferring to die rather than face what he had done.

What are we doing to these people?

23rd Slate
It seems no matter how careful I am when trying to dig out the loose stone under the brook, every time I attempt to do so a landslide occurs.

Illet took the worst of it this time, her left leg getting broken by the fall and her back getting slightly damaged. I doubt she will ever be a warrior now. At least she will still be capable of normal work, perhaps I can talk to Abod about getting her installed as an apprentice in the forge.

7th Felsite
A mistake in digging out the recently-dried areas has resulted in the area between our west gate and the town to become a shallow pond. We are struggling to control it the flood, but fighting the constant flow of water is not easy when Mulch refuses to work in water higher than his ankles.

So very irritating.

13th Felsite
Urgh, after a long and very wet week the hole in the streamlet is plugged.

14th Malachite

One of the walls broke when I wasn't paying attention, causing another flood from the stream in the areas we had recently dug out. With some quick work we averted disaster, but it's unlikely it'll ever look natural again.

1st Galena - Echo's diary

We found Rikkir at the bottom of the brook excavation today, babbling mindlessly. Cuts crisscrossed her naked torso and she was soaked from head to foot.
She had appeared dead.

Mulch had cried as he saw her like this, forcing us away and grabbing her in his arms. With heaves like great bellows he blew air into her lungs and shook her frozen limbs, pressing the water out of her chest and thumping her heart to get it going. She was dead, we all knew it, her heart had stopped beating.

In amazement, we saw her begin to stir, to move, and with glazed eyes she looked at us, as if for the first time. They were disconcerting, the blue that had once ringed them had faded away to a clear white, the pupil in the middle small among the blank starkness. She sent a chill down my spine as she looked at me evenly, and then to all of us.

That's when she stated that she was to stand down from her responsibilities as Leader, and left us without a word, her pick and child slung across her shoulders.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2008, 11:12:17 pm »

Whao, what was that last bit?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:38 pm »

‼Plot‼

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2008, 11:56:24 pm »

6th Galena, somewhere outside of Ulolgeshud. The first scripture of Rikkir Esker.

I have had a vision!

I stood on the edge of an ocean, wandering amidst the waves as the swirl around me in an endless frothy gray expanse. The water of a forge, the temper to the furnace of the sky and the metal of the earth. As I watch them rise and fall in awe they pull me under, their cold hands chilling my flesh and bones and dragging me deep into the swells. As I struggle against their bonds they    pummel me, destroying my body and remaking it anew. Purifying me down to the essence of my soul. As I lay there, naked and alone while the waves both kill and revive me, a great breath of air is forced into my lungs. At once I am there and not there. I am   one person, seven, and none. A civilization, a whole of all the people in the world... and nothing.

I woke in a cold sweat that night, the dampness chill in the early morning air. The afterimage still burns in my mind as I feel the child within me struggle to come into this world. I can feel her fight for freedom, just as I had fought for my own. Just as the child asleep in her place in my backpack had fought nearly a year before.

I must find the root of this dream. The beginning of this vision. If I must hunt and face down Likot himself I will do so!

The Logbook of Mulch Diggums Eshan. 22nd Galena

Frea had another child today. A girl, which isn't unusual.
I'm more worried about Rikkir, she still hasn't returned to the fortress after leaving on the sixth, she was due to have her own child... and that was over two weeks ago. I hope she is all right.

The Logbook of Mulch Diggums Eshan. 17th Limestone

We have voted Frea into the position of Expedition Leader. With Rikkir gone there is really nobody to oppose her. It's a good thing none of us really care for politics. That was, aside from Rikkir. Once she took over her first act was to take over Rikkir's old office and assign Pete to be our Sheriff. While we haven't really had any problems with anybody yet, it's nice to know who our designated babysitter is.

I'm a little worried about having the entire leadership of our small clan solely in the hands of the Libashrur clan, but there is little I can do about it.

The Logbook of Mulch Diggums Eshan. 16th Limestone

The final leg of our excavation project is underway. Frea tried to get me and Ukat to stop working on it. She repeated what she had said at the new years, pointing out that we really don't need the space. It was, in her words, a Pet project for a person who really doesn't need a pet.

Ukat and I reminded her that she did not have a majority ruling on it, and that we already had decided to go ahead and finish it. She took it badly, saying a few things that are not polite to say or write for public company to me, but unless she can convince Abod to change her mind this dam will be done sooner than later.

The Logbook of Mulch Diggums Eshan. 17th Timber

Progress continues on the wall steadily. Frea isn't happy about it, but that's really sort of moot. When I was visiting with Pete today I noticed that he had a pair of golden containers that hadn't been there before. Apparantly he or Frea had convinced Abod into crafting him some things for him. I was also pleased to notice that Abod wasn't particularily careful about how she made them.

The Logbook of Mulch Diggums Eshan. 1st Moonstone

The wall is finished, the dam is done! I drew a quick scketch of it as Ukat and I jumped for joy and hugged over the now-controlled water. Ukat and I celebrated by throwing a great party in the Mead Hall that everyone attended. We all got massively drunk, ecastically happy over looking at masterful tables, and played games until the night had turned into morning and the last of our tallow candles was spent.

My only real regret is that Rikkir wasn't there to share in the festivities.

The only thing that now remains is to tear down the aqueduct that was used to channel away the excess water while we built.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The profile of Tirean Eshan

The profile of Fireheart Libashrur

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:48:30 pm by Jamini »

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2008, 03:52:18 am »

The plot thickens! (Or does it burn into ash...hm..)
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2008, 10:05:07 am »

What could possibly have happened to Rikkir???

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2008, 01:50:16 pm »

What could possibly have happened to Rikkir???

She died.

Or more accurately, I killed her and brought her back to move the plot along. ( She was actually there the entire time helping, but it's cooler and makes more sense for her to be absent when Frea takes power.)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2008, 02:41:35 pm »

Did you kill her on accident or on purpose?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2008, 02:49:12 pm »

‼☼Plot☼‼

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2008, 04:15:47 pm »

Well said, and nice sig.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2008, 07:58:53 pm »

I had something about exploding wagons and merchants running from a rain of their wares, but I figured this was funnier. ^^

Right, I'm writing some of the massive amount of write-up material I have now. :D

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2008, 08:28:02 pm »

12th Moonstone. Echo's Diary.

Mulch came running into the village today, his right hand bleeding profusely from an arrow that had pierced completely through the flesh, rendering it useless. Tears were streaming down his great, bearded face as he fell down in front of his workshop and began pounding the ground like one of our youngest children throwing a tantrum, his hand making a great slurry of blood on the ground where he bashed it, screaming "Bembul! It's all my fault! Goblins... Not Bembul!"

At once Ukat and Illiet were next to him, the former restraining his hand and quickly clamping down on the artery in his wrist while the latter tried her best to comfort him, in her own childish way. It did not take long for the rest of us, children included, to gather around and figured out what had happened. It appeared that while the two of them had been removing the constructions near the moat, a pair of bowgoblins had snuck close to the moat without Mulch noticing. Before he was able to react, it was already too late, the first bolt had found the heart of his youngest child remaining within the fortress walls, Bembul Esker, killing her nigh instantly. The second volley, the only other attack the goblins had managed to get off before he had ran outside of their range, had broken his hand.

Without hesitation we scattered to check the gatehouses and the aqueducts that Mulch had been removing. We had been very lucky. One of the walls to the aqueduct had been removing, giving anyone on that side of the raised bridge full access to the village. But the southern side, the very side that the goblins had attacked from, was still intact. Upon seeing part of their quarry escape, the goblins moved around the moat to the south gatehouse, where they began to shoot as many dogs as they could. Three war dogs and four puppies fell to the shots from their wicked bows before the bowmen ran out of ammo and retreated, unpunished for their unforgivable crimes.

If I ever catch a goblin, I will wring the life out of him with my bare hands! I swear it, diary.

The logbook of Mulch Diggums Eshan 20th Moonstone

I am not used to caring for babies.

One week ago a child was found in a basket near the house that I share with Rikkir, a note written in her handwriting telling me to care for the children while she continued on some special mission that Likot had given her. The words on the paper were so unlike her that I almost believed that someone was playing a prank on me, not that they would do such a thing... except Ukat or Pete... but the signature was hers as I have read on countless bookkeeping reports. Something that nobody could forge very easily or so completely.

I am worried for her.

What's worse, while I was laying infirm in my bed a goblin had snuck into the house and stolen our youngest, a girl I have called Adil(Wall) for lack of a better name. The goblin didn't even seem to care I was there, just grabbing my child and stuffing her in it's bag. I shouted until my voice was hoarse as the snatcher fled, my child in his bag, fearing that nobody would be able to recover her.

The next morning Pete and Frea both arrived at the door, holding the child. I cannot thank them enough for saving her, although they refuse to talk about what they did to the goblin. I've got Pete to agree to look for where the goblin got in at first light, so we can wall off that area and shore up the gap in our defenses.

I am glad that it was only a snatcher that managed to sneak into our gates this way.

The second holy scripture of Rikkir Esker. Obsidian 21st.

A vision has come to me in a dream:
I see a great hall, hewn from silver, out of silver, for silver. I see a great congregation of dwarves, their heads bowed in reverant silence as a grant priestess blesses a couple. This priestess bears the mark of two serpents entwined, one gold, one silver.

I see a god decending into the world, making for herself a place amoungst the mortals. A great cathedrel in the last home of this world, a place where one can live their lives to the fullest. I see myself, greeting this god.

I must return to them. They will argue, but I must not let the words of their heathen beliefs divert me from my true cause, my true calling. We must be united under Likot!

It will be done! IT MUST BE DONE!

22nd Obsidian. A letter written by Frea

Rikkir returned to us today, the joy of seeing her was quickly dashed by the state of her mind and body. She has clearly went off the deep end. She talks of a massive citidel, a cathedral under the ground that will mark our little village for decades to come, even should we all die horribly. After returning she spent nearly a month digging into the earth in the region that she found the silver vien in.

I don't think I can stop her. Her words have driven the others into a frenzy of excitement. Abod talks of nothing now but silver and gold, furniture fit for a king... a king that we don't have.Mulch is as supportive a husband as Pete never will be, adding his own touches in the designs she has sketched out before us. Even my own children have spent time down there, playing amoung the stones that she excavates with a maniac glee.

What am I going to do? Am I the only sensible dwarf here?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 08:30:04 pm by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2008, 08:33:33 pm »

1st Granite
Map

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2008, 05:11:34 am »

So, if we just pretend hard enough, everything that went wrong will go away.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29