Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50765 times)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2008, 12:56:55 am »

One of the war gods killed a kobold by the west gate today.

Was it Ares or Mars? Or a different pantheon altogether?  ;)

It was Slulobokur, a goblin kobold diety of war. ;)
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2008, 10:18:53 am »

Loving this.

I'll take a female child if there's one that's not been claimed yet.

Name - Vicarrah
Personality - Bloodthirsty

apart from that, anything else goes. I'd like her to eventually be part of the military if that's possible.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2008, 11:18:55 am »

There is no shortage of female children. We have three unclaimed kids after Vicarrah left.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2008, 12:57:45 pm »

12th Felsite 1057 Rikkir's Log

I spent a little time today looking through the things we stole from the elves the elves gave us. Interestingly enough, some of them are really quite beautiful. I men, just LOOK at this harp:

And then there is this cage...

The elves decorate the weirdest things...

1st Hematite
Onul has healed enough to walk again, Huzzah!  Drinks for everyone! I'm drinking now!

27th Galena
Maggarg started walking today, his first action upon doing so to take one of our tame racoon pups and throw it onto the millstone.

I think that child may have issues.

9th Limestone
Frea has had another girl. Same old, same old.

14th Limestone
Elf attack!
Er... or rather, two elves leading a goblin ambush. Sarak said he recognized the two of them as Ola Aridofima and Ada Cocinithe, two elven leaders from the group who had captured them.

They are in league, prime the traps!

15th Limestone

One of the goblins, a swordsman, managed to get past our trap line at the southern entrance today. He almost actually made it to the village, until one of the war dogs tackled him and began working at tearing chunks out of his right arm.It didn't take very long after that for me to arrive and crush his brain in with a pickaxe. There is quite the mess outside of our farm building now, however.

((
The Jamini grabs the post format by the head with her hands.
The Jamini shakes the post format by the head with her hands.
It is mangled!
a chunk has been torn away!
The Jamini drops the post format chunk
))
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:03:41 pm by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2008, 01:26:43 pm »

19th Limestone
Ukat told me that one of the war dogs had torn apart a snatcher in between the southern gatehouse and the village today. The creature must have sneaked through our gates after the two elven raiders had used up most of our traps. She seemed so casual about it, that I couldn't even ask her if the creature was dead.

When I asked her if she had at least cleaned up the goblin's remains, I received a blank stare.

26th Limestone
The log of Rikker Esker
I bring sad news today diary. One of our number is dead.

When helping clean out the traps in the southern gatehouse, which have become somewhat cluttered with clothing, discarded armor, used stones, and rusty weapons due to the constant raids by the goblins, Sarek happened to fall asleep near one of the weapon traps. I have no idea why he choose to sleep in that area, Lilkot knows that he has a bedroom. The most logical explaination is that he had locked his door when the goblin was spotted coming towards the town and had lost the key.

Although none of us witnessed it firsthand, while sleeping he had rolled over the trigger for the trap, causing a multitude of iron razor blades to leap from the ground and quickly tore his body apart. His body was nearly unrecognizable when Ukat pulled it away. Mulch, who had been the closest of all of us to Sarek, was crushed. While we watched he raced forward and began sobbing over the dead dwarf, refusing to let any of us inter his body in it's place in the catacombs.

In honor of the dwarf that never was, in what he had given and worked for without asking for anything in return, we have decided to give our youngest child the same adult name in his honor.

Erith Edimfikod is no longer, her name is now Sarek Eshan!

((Ok, it didn't happen like that exactly. Sarek, as some of you probably have guessed, was originally a troglodyte from the chasm. For some reason, even though he was properly dwarfed and was working fine, he kept getting tagged as hostile randomly. Every time I noticed this I was able to unflag him with DF Companion, but eventually he was unlucky enough to run across a weapon trap while flagged as an enemy and was torn apart.

I tried to rez him a few times, but no matter what he bled out, so... Sarek is... well, dead. Officially killed by a trap.))

7th Opal

This winter has been an unusually busy one.
While all of our standard work has been halted, as usual, we've been spending a significant amount of our time clearing out the clutter at the gatehouses. In the last few years it's amazing how much narrow clothing has cropped up there. In fact, our gate was starting to look less like the inviting vista that it is supposed to be and more like.. well.. the deathtrap that it is.

I've been trying to make a garbage dump that it closer to the gates so they don't get so bad next year.

1st Obsidian
My sixth child was born today. Yet another girl. When Echo handed me the child after she was clean the planter said something about us being like the ancient female warrior clan the Am'zone.

I'm starting to agree with her.
7th Obsidian

Frea's third child has started calling herself Vicarrah, much to her mother's chagrin. Frea constantly follows the child around, trying to convince her to say her birth name, while the child constantly crosses her little arms and refuses, her tiny chin upturned towards the sky.

Everyone is in a good humor about it, although I doubt the name will stick.

12th Obsidian

At long last, we've finally finished clearing the gatehouse of all of the junk inside. I was starting to think that the pile of junk was endless, sent there by the gods to mock us as we struggled to clear it.

It's good to know I was wrong.[/b]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2008, 02:06:55 pm »

Ooohh, a Troglodyte. I R stoopid, and forgot there was a chasm on the map. Also, I thought he was a caged creature from the elven caravan that you changed.

How old are the various children now?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2008, 03:46:59 pm »

Ooohh, a Troglodyte. I R stoopid, and forgot there was a chasm on the map. Also, I thought he was a caged creature from the elven caravan that you changed.

How old are the various children now?

The two oldest, Feb and Glacies, are five. They range from five to one.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2008, 06:56:38 pm »

More girls.  I guess they really will be the last dwarves in the world at this rate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2008, 10:34:17 pm »

At least there will be no shortage of virgin maidens to throw into the chasm to appease the gods.

Shame that dwarves are monogamist.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2008, 04:15:00 am »

So i am dead already?  ;D ah well keep it up anyhow

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2008, 04:46:42 pm »

Shame that dwarves are monogamist.

I wonder if that can be changed...
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2008, 04:49:05 pm »

It's hardcoded.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulolgeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2008, 07:50:59 pm »

1st Granite

Today, while mining the first rocks of the year, I made a very exciting discovery. While I was working on the eastern  residential section I found a small trace of blue in the rock. Upon closer inspection, what should catch my eye but...

I've decided to leave it alone for now, Abod still has a lot of goblin junk to work through. Once we get her caght up on the mountain of iron scraps however, I definatly plan to begin smelting silver for practice weapons and such.

Oooh, it makes me so giddy to think we might actually be rich!

3rd Granite

A goblin raid hit us today. I wish I could say it was notable, but really it wasn't. The human bowman who led the charge was felled by our traps, his name only discovered when we uncovered his body at the end of the fighting. The rest of them fell easily enough to our traps, only one surviving long enough for mulch to need to dispatch it.

Rather a poor show.

10th Granite

Another batch of elves arrived today, one of them with a garland of flowers in her hair and a long, hawkish nose called me out. She introduced herself Imere Renuarm as she walked up.

"You are Rikkir Esker?" She asked plaintively, almost plainly, expectantly standing next to me as I worked a granite stone into workable blocks. Of course I ignored her. After several minutes without my response she grew impatient and continued without my acknowledgment. "It is quite the beutiful home you have here, carved so magnificently into the mountainside. Ulolgeshud, is it not? Quite a beutiful name."

Finished with my block I began to walk to the stone stockpile, intent on getting a drink. The elf with garlands in her hair smiled as she followed me down, grimacing slightly as we passed the butcher's when Abod was slaughtering on of our Racoon pups. We walked in silence until I reached the stockpile and began to drink, where she attempted to interrupt me once again. "I can see why the other elven traders would want to live near here and never come back. This place, it's rustic charm... it's invigorating. Much more friendly to the druids teachings than any dwarven fortress I have seen before... and I'm over one thousand years old."

Her age didn't astound me nearly as much as her willful ignorance, as she babbled and twittered I grabbed two ☼Cat Tallow Roast☼ and began to walk up to the meat hall, smiling as Mulch left the Mason's workshop I had just vacated and joined me in the mead hall, our children trailing after him like a drunk congo-line (not unlike those we normally make in the midwinter parties). As we sat the elf pulled out her own satchel and removed a few berries, seeming to enjoy them greatly as she attempted to start a conversation once more. "So... these are yours? Quite a lot of them you have, no? What is your name little one?" She spent much of our dinner trying to talk with my children, not showing exasperation as they remained as silent as I as per my instructions.

Finally I walked past the depot, pausing for a moment as we passed the wide gated entrance. The elfs twitter was cut off as I grabbed her tunic and looked her straight in the face, "Get in there." I ordered, pointing to the Olivine platform and giving her a soft shove, Mulch stifling a laught as the elf fell.

Remorselessly I pulled the lever and watched the gates shut on the expecting elves.

Idiots.

11th Granite-13th Granite

The very day after I locked the elves in their soon-to-be-tomb, a squad of goblins attacked.

these goblins were different, however, their leader had the good sense to bring crossbowmen and attack from the plateau above the forest. They showed themselves suddenly, jumping from behind rocks and shrubs and raining down bolts on us as we were throwing away the garbage their companions had dropped in the last attack.

Vicarrah and Abod were grazed by bolts as they ran from the crossbowmen, yellow-fletched projectiles filling the air behind them as they ran towards the village hollering. At once I ordered the gates closed and forbad anyone from going to clean the gatehouse. Then I asked Mulch to suit up in case he was needed. Althoug I was reluctant to send him against crossbows, he was the most highly-trained of us still alive, and with a shield he even stood a chance of getting the bowmen, should it have come to that.

When he arrived the first of the goblins had climbed past the dry moat, his white uniform marking him as a goblin wrestler, and the dogs were dead, their bodies filled with bolts.  Just as the creature topped the upper ridge of the moat Mulch lept forward and struck off his head, a throaty scream ripping from his chest that we were able to hear back in the village as he waved his bloody weapon at the crossbowmen on the far shore of the moat. Upon seeing this, and assessing the state of their companion, the archers withdrew, swiftly melting into the forest before the mad dwarf could catch them.

10th Slate
Imere went crazy today, in the depot, I watched with glee from behind the fortifications as she ripped her companions limb from limb and began eating their flesh before our very eyes. When she noticed me she almost appeared sane, calling me out again, "Rikkir! Come join me, or better yet... let me join you! Look! I join in your barbaric customs of killing flesh and wasting skin meat and bone! Open the door Rikkir, help me help you be you! Join me, for I am Imere Renuaram Peliavafice!"

I just smiled at her warmly, waving to Abod as she trudged up with a crossbow and turned miss Imere Renuarm Pelivafice into a pincushion.
15th Slate
We've begun construction on a wall so that next time the goblins send marksmen we will be better prepared to defend oursselves. No goblin will ever simply walk through the moat again!

I've also begun a little project to reclaim the gems that are hidden around the source of our brook, should they be sucessful then I will be quite ecastic.

18th Hematite
We hardly noticed the goblin raid this season, so wrapped up were we in our waterworks project.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:52:45 pm by Jamini »

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2008, 08:49:20 pm »

Hah seems im becoming quite the warrior. What are my stats as of now?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2008, 11:33:11 pm »

Not much changed really, except now you are a competent building designer, a legendary mason, and have a few social skills at the competent level.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29