Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50804 times)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:58:38 pm »

20th Obsidian, 1049

"Time is meaningless, wealth powerless, and destitution eternal."

So said the elven sage Ilfa Mirairfa, I fear she was right.

I still do not know why they spared us, allowing us to live after our flight. Their malicious grins chasing us into the night as we fled the mountains that had been our home for centuries as the blood our of kinsmen ran in rivulets down the hills of our home. One of the others claimed they did so out of kindness, another claimed that the savages were curious about us. Claiming that we seven could not possibly cause more harm to them than the humans were.

Somehow I doubt that is the case.

Rumors abounded back at home that they were immortal, that they who lived at the start of time would eventually come to see it's end, cleansing the world of all that is non-elven. Back then I would have scoffed at such a claim, arguing that no creature can live so long, nor can a civilization with such a mindset survive once it's neighbors discovered it's intentions and banded together to whipe it out. Much like we, the Clan Ibruk, had done when the goblin tribe of Ekxoxst'l had come for our people, their demon leader at it's head. We had banded together, three distinct and rival clans in order to defeat the terrible foe, and although we had paid the price we had succeeded.

However, even knowing our history as such, nothing had prepared us for that night. That night when the elves had scaled our walls, using the bodies of their fallen as a ramp to scale the great barricade. As they had fell upon us in an animal fury, pausing only to grab the fallen and begin to consume them before our very eyes. Hundreds of them, more of them than we ever could have imagined living in our home as such.

And now... now it is just us seven left. Such as it is. Seven dwarves who are left to create a home in the deepest wilderness, the last dwarven home. Ulolgesud.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Welcome to Ulogeshud, The last dwarven fortress.
This will be a community game, where every participating player will be able to choose a dwarf to be written into the story of the last dwarves in the World of Omens, further information can be found here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24863.0

Basically, the intial seven are it, barring children. The elves have wiped out the rest.There is no Queen/King, no Liason, no dwarven caravans, and no migrations. Due to the dwarven history with elves, no elf found on our land will be allowed to live (Including traders).

Our Embark Site:

As you can see, we have no magma. I don't know if we have a cave river or chasm (although I'm doubtful) either. We will have running water however, and a Temperate Climate.

If you feel dwarf enough for the challenge, then please step up and submit your name and preferred line of work. Our initial seven will all start as peasants, without any skills, and please note that we will NOT be getting anyone else any time soon. (So requesting a soaper or smith will probably get you very quickly assigned to other tasks)

So Begins the tale of Ilassedil Tosid, the first seven brave souls of Ulogeshud.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:51 pm »

Footnote: of the intial seven, two are male, the rest are female.

I have chosen one of the female Dwarves as my own, Rikkir Esker "Cleareyes"

Also, because I am not planning on making this a very trade-heavy fort, I decided to embark with an Anvil. So we *will* be able to support one smith. And probably only one smith.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:24:36 pm »

The Dieties of Ulogeshud. In total we have two worshippers of Likot (Rikker is one of them, and also was the one who became expedition leader after the game started), two worshippers of Ziril, and one of each of the rest.

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »

This will be epic. :)

Name: Abod
Worships: Sarvesh
Profession: I'll take the smith job if nobody minds.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:04:58 pm »

25th Obsidian

Today  our  ragtag band of survivors found a small cart in the company of some human traders. Seeing as it was empty, and we outnumbered them seven to two, they were quick to capitulate to our request to use it.

The metalsmith's apprentice Abod, a dwarf I have never really known particularly well. (although I do believe we will get to know each other far more closely before the end of this trek, wherever we are going) seemed particularily relieved that she didn't need to carry the overly-heavy anvil she had salvaged as she fled from the elves.

How she escaped with the seventy-kilo weight on her back I will never know. Whenever we ask her about it she quickly changes the subject to the state of our food stores.

Whenever she does that, I quickly change the subject to the weather.

Abod Niltellist's profile (Abod Hammerindomitable.)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:29:28 am by Jamini »

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 10:44:19 pm »

OOooo... Im joining this. "Mulch Diggums" Preferably give me a male, if possible, one that likes cats. Make him a mason for now =]

I hope he will eventuly be a swords dwarf, weilding a weapon he made himself, that is if obsidian is availible
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:46:04 pm by Mulch Diggums »
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:20:31 am »

Could you add a Ukat Luslemidek please?  Preferably a dwarf with an interesting neurosis (crippling paranoia, etc.) but not strictly neccessary.  Ukat is interested in mechanics and traps and hopes to one day make giant siege machines and other contraptions to cut down the elves like grass.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:28:40 am »

27th Obsidian

As we travel south the land grows rougher, and our hope seems to grow and swell with every turn of the wheel of our wagon. The days are getting warmer, and everywhere the flora is beginning to bloom. I see it as a good Omen, perhaps Abod is right, perhaps Sarvesh is looking out for us after all.

Well, no matter.

The seven of us have taken to looking over what was left in the caravan before we co-opted it from the humans. Not much, I'm afraid. A little wood, a few bits of meat and drink. Had the dwarf Mulch Diggums not looked closer I think we might have passed the one gem that was hidden inside entirely.

Buried under the floorboards a set of old maps had been hidden in a secret compartment. Undated, they still showed a good lay of the lands around us, in particular the nearby mountain range and the sites therein. there are virtually none of them.

At night I have taken to going over the maps with Mulch, the two of us picking and discarding different locations with a fever that seemed only satiated by exhaustion.  I hadn't known him well back in our home, but Abod had. The two of them still spend long hours talking when it is their turn to drive the cart. He is a strange fellow, but a kind one, willing to give anything in order to help others. After one of our marathon site-assessing sessions he had even revealed to me his lifelong dream of becoming a master swordsman in order to protect his home and family. The wistful look on his face when he speaks of his dream twists my insides into a knot when I think about what the future has in store for us.

Initially he had wanted a location with Obsidian, indicating a large vent of magma not far from our location. I was sorely tempted to follow his idea, but I have heard rumors of dangerous creatures that live in such places and after much persuading talked him out of that. Likewise he had convinced me in the wisdom of not settling near a large river or underground stream, noting the dangerous creatures that reside in such places when compared to the far safer brook-fed mountains. We need safe, we need secure. After all, there is nobody else left to pick up for us if we did die.

Finally, after much deliberation we settled on a little place. It was set in a mountain range, so it was sure to have an abundance of metals, while the arrangement of the cliffs provided a natural wall that we could use to protect our woodsmen. A fitting arrangement.

Really, thinking back to our time spent pouring over those old charts, I find I rather like him. In an endearing older-sister sort of way.

Not that I find him good-looking. No way.

Well... perhaps. Just a little.

Not to mention that he's one of the two dwarves left on earth.

... plus he also worships Likot

I need to sleep on this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The profile of Mulch Diggums

Sorry Mulch, none of the guys liked cats. In fact, really only Abod likes cats. I'm also not really planning on getting any (I did not embark with one, but I may buy one from the humans. Possibly). I figured you'd like this guy though.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:29:16 am by Jamini »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:50:44 am »

I wouldn't mind being the woodcutter/carpenter (you did bring an axe... right?), Male, if there's anyone left, otherwise female will do. Call him/her Sneakypete, or just Pete if that's to long, please.
Magma is overrated.

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:15 am »

Can I take a dwarf, named Echo, don't mind what skills are, but preferably military at some later stage.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 01:37:23 am »

Hey all!

I'll take a dwarf, namely your brewer/cook.  Call her (since you only have 2 guys) Frea.  If it's not too much trouble, try to make her somewhat of a tomboy, an in-your-face kind of girl.  If she must pick up a weapon, it should probably be a crossbow.  Preferably, she would worship Ziril (whether forge or stove, fire is life).

Unless I count wrong, that makes 7.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:43:01 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:07:26 am »

Call him/her Sneakypete, or just Pete if that's to long, please.

Shouldn't it be sneaky patricia

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 02:09:42 am »

Any who, Looks like its going to be a fun game Jamini.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:05 am »

I'll take a dwarf! I guess I'll be a woodcutter. This colony is probably gonna get painfully inbred, since we only have two breeding pairs. > . <

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 02:26:55 am »

Im pretty sure some one else is taking a wood cutter, and I doubt Janimi brought two axes. Sure you dont want somthing else?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29