Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50771 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2008, 09:33:24 pm »

Why do you keep mocking the human's orientation?  I thought this fortress was open to alternative lifestyles.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2008, 09:43:20 pm »

Why do you keep mocking the human's orientation?  I thought this fortress was open to alternative lifestyles.

I mocked it once.

Anyone who worships tentacle demons deserves to be mocked anyway.

Frelock, that's a classic facepalm. Google it and you'll see what I mean. :p
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2008, 10:39:58 pm »

11th Granite

Today I was going over a few documents in the mead hall when Glacies interrupted me saying,

"Aunt Rikkir, there are a lot of Dwarves with no beards and pointy ears at the meeting platform." She said, sweet as can be with her little three-year-old voice. At first her words confused me, forcing me to spend a moment away from my papers to let the gravity of her words sink in. Then I realized what the child ment.

"Oh, there are? I'll need to go meet with them." I replied, naturally as I could manage.

"but... who are they?" she asked, still as innocent as possible. To which I quickly replied "Why don't you go play with Feb and Sparrow? I heard that they were playing hide and seek over in the forest." The child gave me one last confused look before racing out of the building.

As soon as I knew she was out of sight I hurried to the depot as fast as my legs would allow. Ukat had already pulled up the drawbridges around the depot, trapping the pointy-eared bastards inside. As she spotted me from her perch on top of the building I waved and made to shout, until I noticed that Ukat had shook her head and motioned for me to be silent. With a curt motion she Indicated that I should climb up after her.

My legs cracked I climbed the underside of the drawbridge, unused to the acrobatics. Within a moment I was standing up there with the mechanic and looking down at the elves trapped in our half-finished depot.

"Sup?" I asked, glaring at the pointy-ears as they looked at the gates expectantly. One of their number inspecting the fortifications in the far side with interest.

"Look at the third merchant on the right" was all that the mechanic said, pointing briefly before sliding down to the ground. As I looked for a few moments, trying to see what Ukat had seen. When I recognized what it was she had indicated  I nearly fell off of the bridge. Strapped to the back of one of the elve's mules, in a cage was a DWARF. He was curled up, and naked aside from a thin blanket that was in a fierce tangle on the bottom of the cage. His beard was a right tangle, and vomit and mud encrusted every part of his body... but he was a Dwarf, a male dwarf at that.

Rage began to shudder through me, filling every crevice of my body as I saw the elf who led his animal rap on the cage, trying to get the dwarves attention. The belugared dwarf snarled and then cowered as the elf brought over a thick whip and snapped it through the bars at his bare backside.

We had seen enough. Fury lightend our steps I slid down after Ukat, racing towards the ballista we had agreed would be mine.  I reached it quickly, and without hesitation I shouted out our predetermined signal to fire. "For the mountainhomes, for the KING!", loosing the strap that held the ballista bolt in place and letting it fly full-blast into the elves.

20th Granite

The elves lasted over two weeks in the depot. Subsiding off of the foodstocks they offered to trade and using the barrels and boxes on their pack animals as a makeshift shelter against the ballistas we used against them.. However, in the end Ukat and I killed them to the man.

When the last of the elves dropped we opened the gates, first rushing to the cage that held the captive dwarf. As the last of the elves dropped, we opened the gates once more, quickly opening the cage that held the captive dwarf. At first he seemed terrified of us, his tongue working awkwardly in his mouth as he struggled to speak the words of his native tongue. However, as he talked he began to slowly improve, and with a little help and a lot of gestures his story was made plainly clear.

His name was Sarek, he claimed to have been a minor captain in one of the mountainhomes to the once-great Clan Ibruk. During an attack on his home he had been captured and forced to watch the elves destroy his home and family. Afterwards he was sold into slavery.

We accepted his story with sadness and just a little joy. Offering him a place among us. While at first he seemed scared and a little skeptical, soon he accepted our offer as genuine.

In exchange for food and board, he has agreed tol train some of our number in the ways of war. The first of us to volunteer was Mulch, who had always expressed an interest in sword-fighting. When I mentioned that I would be interested as well, Sarek told me no. He said that my minor back injury could get worse if I sparred, and that I should instead stay home as I am. While I'm not happy about this, I accept it, mostly because he's probably right.

I've asked Abod to craft some platemail from the smelted goblin gear, as well as a sword for Mulch. In the meantime, I'll be taking up our masonry in his place.

((On a totally unrelated note. If you transform a creature with DF companion into something else, it's size does not change. Although the rest will. Worship, relationships, and previous experiance ALSO does not change. Now you know.))
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:12:16 am by Jamini »

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2008, 10:45:28 pm »

Make sure the sword isnt too sharp :P I dont want to end up cuting out that fellows spine.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2008, 10:49:41 pm »

28th Slate

Another year met with another failure. Tonight I've given birth to my fourth child, a third girl. While she is a beautiful, healthy baby... I cannot help but feel crushing despair.

1st Felsite

I asked Sarek about the gods of his old clan. He replied that he tried not to think of them, having given up on them when they had turned their back on him in a time of need. When I offered to convert him to Lilkot he glared at me until I found an excuse to do something else.

20th Felsite

Sarek mentioned today that he had a bad feeling about the area directly to the south-west of our home. To alleviate his concern and my own curiosity, I did a little digigng in that area.

Imagine my surprise when I unearthed a massive chasm! I sent little Illeit to tell the others of my find while I surveyed the area, particularly taking note of the gold vein that was on the western wall of the feature.

I can also see a number of creatures in the deeper parts of the chasm, including an Iron Man. I've sealed off the entrance for now. Later I will find some use for the area.

1st Hematite

After doing some talking with Abod about the state of the forges, I have begun digging an acess shaft from our home over to the gold viens. I'm fairly certain I've plotted a path that avoids any of the natives of the chasm.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:38 pm »

Make sure the sword isnt too sharp :P I dont want to end up cuting out that fellows spine.

I always start my military on wrestling.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2008, 11:19:54 pm »

10th Hematite

The shout now becoming a familiar sound, a human crossbowman calling himself Entha and a human Axeman named Zin Wurusan staged a double assault on us today. By the time Mulch and Sarek arrived on the scene, the goblins were mostly dead and retreating. Two of the war dogs tied at the gates having earned themselves the names Exzasrugbun. Mulch quickly dispatched the two remaining (unconscious) goblins with the wooden sword he had grabbed before leaving the village and return to sparring without incident.

16th Malachite

Erith started walking today. While she has yet to talk, I feel somewhat relieved, although partially ungenerously I feel as if the copious number of children in our home are starting to get a little underfoot.

Perhaps I should start looking for some place to put them, or something to keep them occupied...

23rd Malachite

Frea's Urvad turned one today. We had a nice little celebration in the Mead hall complete with a proper cake. (one unit sweet pods, two units cave wheat flour, one unit dwarven rum, one unit dwarven ale, one unit dwarven beer. Mix until solid, then bake and serve!)

Her first time drinking alcohol was so adorable!

27th Galena

INCONCEIVABLE!
Frea has went into labor today, and while that isn't necessarily surprising anymore the gender of the child IS.

She had a boy!

The child was named Maggarg, in honor of her great-great-uncle or something. I really didn't press the issue too much

I broke out a cask of Frea's finest Ale in her honor and we drunk ourselves silly. Sadly, by the time she was able to walk the cask was gone.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:43:55 pm by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2008, 11:42:42 pm »

19th Limestone

That damned human Emtha Istraves, Lokot curse his dark soul, hasn't given up on us. Once again he led a group of goblins, this time ones wielding spears, against our stronghold. Sarek were ready to intercept him this time, with Mulch only a short distance behind. The two of them combined with our traps and dogs made short work of his underlings. Emtha saw it fit to flee before we could catch him, swearing vengeance as he fled over the hillside.

On their way back to the village they stumbled across a goblin snatcher. We watched as Sarek removed the creatures head with a single blow. Brutal.

23rd Moonstone

Entha attaked the western gates AGAIN today, this time followed by a goblin who he referred to as his commander, Nguslu Urarspodgoz. This time they approached openly, sending forward a goblin with a note written on a message that offered us to parley.

I was leery of meeting with this so-called commander, but dutifully I trudged out and climbed that oh-so-familiar gate, peering over at the assembled goblins once again.

"So Entha Istraves, you're back again. Here to send another group of goblins to their deaths at our traps?" I taunted him, keeping myself out of his line of fire as best I could.

"Rikkir, come down and talk friend! We wish you no harm, only a chance to save yourselves from the oncoming tide. Please listen to me and open the gate so we can talk."

"The oncoming tide?" I responded, confused as the human plaintively motioned to the ground beside him. "No, I think not Entha. I don't trust you, considering you keep trying to kill me, my friends, and my family. Tell me about this tide while I sit here, and if you impress me I might come down and talk."

The human looked down at his commander, speaking softly in his own tongue before responding, "My commander here, Nguslu, he has come to see your fortress. If you continue to fight like you have, rejecting our offer of alliance and peace against the elves you will be wiped out by one of our factions. Either by a tide of goblins, or an ocean of elves. Please listen, by joining us you can survive and flourish, to become a powerful people in this world once more!"

"By peace you mean the murder of our adults and the abduction of our children? I'd rather die to the elves than have that happen, butchers. While I have no love for the elves I haven't forgotten my people's history either. Goblins have always sought to rule the world under their demon masters, and you are no different. We refuse your offer, now leave or die before our military slaughter YOu."

"Military?" the goblin commander said haltingly in dwarven, "You have no military. Like cowards you hide behind traps and dogs, never fighting. What dwarf are you to do this? What you do when traps stop working, clogged by elven bodies. Join us Rikker, let your children join us and become strong!"

Without responding I slid down the drawbridge and walked to the village, meeting the eyes of the present Mulch and Sarek as they hefted their weapons.

"Have at them." I said as I pulled the lever.

The war dog Otsmorobu slew the first goblin that rushed past the gate to attack, viciously tearing out the goblin's throat after a short tussle. The second that approached him fared little better, jumping away from the canine's teeth and directly into a pitfall trap to the side. Emtha himself was next, the human crossbowman obviously furious on how many times we had defeated him. He walked past our first trap, narrowly dodging a falling boulder and approached Otsmorobu. He swung the crossbow like a club at the dog, shattering it's chest and piercing a lung, the blow knocking the canine into a cage trap behind it. With a snarl Emtha turned towards the other dog and stepped foward.

A second later another rock fell from the roof of the gatehouse, crushing Entha forever.

Nguslu and his swordsgoblin bodyguard were the last to approach, the former lashing out at the remaining dog with his wicked scimitar. His blow removed the war dogs left leg. However, the brave animal was not done. In a final act of defiance it lunged forward and clamped its powerful jaws over the goblin commander's throat, tearing the organ out and killing the goblin where he stood. When we found the dog and the goblin, entwined in the sweet embrace of death, with posthumously named it Lesmnastengan.

25th Moonstone

Zin Wurusan returned today, leading the second assault on our southern gatehouse. The first goblins to reach the gatehouse quickly dispatched the new dog, while Exzasrugbun cleverly waited behind the line traps. As the goblins reached him a line of wooden spears erupted from the ground, piercing the goblin through and dragging it towards the ground, the body clogging the mechanism.

As Zin finished his approach the mechanisms in the gate closed. He stood outside for a short time, shouting challenges at our gates and our men.

When I threw Entha's head over the barricade the axeman quickly reconsiered his words and retreated.

17th Opal
Feb distracting me nearly caused us both to be crushed by a collapsing ceiling. Onul (My youngest child) was fairly badly hurt in the collapse, her hand and leg getting broken by falling debris.

1st Moonstone
I took Sarek and Mulch off of military duty for a while. Both of them have gotten good with their weapons, but I need to constantly remind them that they have other duties that are just as important to the village outside of defense.

Mulch has returned to masonry for the time being, the two of us working together to get more buildings up. I've laid out the plans for further expansion when our children start growing up and having families of their own, as well as a place where our decedents will be able to house their own sheriff and prison.

In all, the village is becoming bigger and better every year.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:45:47 pm by Jamini »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2008, 12:22:16 am »

A boy child? No! This was destined to become a fortress of dwarven AMAZONS! Illeit is not pleased>:(

Anyway, what did you transform Sarek from? You said relationships don't change--does he have a wife somewhere, and thus won't marry? Or is there a chance that he'll pair up with someone.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2008, 01:07:36 am »

A boy child? No! This was destined to become a fortress of dwarven AMAZONS! Illeit is not pleased>:(

Anyway, what did you transform Sarek from? You said relationships don't change--does he have a wife somewhere, and thus won't marry? Or is there a chance that he'll pair up with someone.

No wife, he was a clean slate. I don't know if he'll marry or not (time will tell), DF companion can do some very strange things.As for what he was originally, I'll leave you to guess at it. I'll give you a hint though:

He can wear dwarf-sized clothing without issue.

((Besides, the fortress of Amazons was out when Feb was born. Considering that he is Rikkir's first child))

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2008, 01:32:00 am »

Hmm, so that narrows it down to a leopard, harpy, strangler, goblin, troglodyte, giant mole, or an assortment of ocean fish. I think I'll go with leopard.  :D Wonder why it didn't give him item preferences.

As for the Amazon thing, as long as I'm given a sturdy buckler and allowed to prove my place among the men when I come of age, I'll be happy.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2008, 07:38:52 am »

Temperate map.

He probably didn't get any item preferences because only creatures that can civ are given item preferences. What types of preferences a civ can have depends on their entry in the entity_default file, and if said creature is not in the entity_default file... well...

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2008, 12:31:20 pm »

Were the elves seriously trying to sell you a dwarf in a cage?

How could they possibly think that would go over well?

Am I a bad person for wanting to get one and see how it behaves when released into population? 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2008, 11:43:51 pm »

11th Granite, 1057

One of the war dogs killed a kobold by the west gate today. We named it Slulobokur in honor of it DOING IT'S DAMN JOB. Or rather, Echo named it. Strange dwarf that.

The coming of kobolds at this particular time brings ill tidings. Marking right up there with the other classic omens: the first shoots of grass coming through the ground, the first buds reaching towards the sky, the kids running outside to frolic in the warm sun as we older dwarves watch on sagely.

I am talking, of course, about the onset of spring. And the annual coming of the elves.

G.R.A.N.I.T.E. 1.E.
The diarie of glacie librurshkur.

dEAr diary.

Momma gave me You T.O.D.A.Y. She SAID it was a PRESENT to party for new year
Momma said I can DRAW in you, but I know better. I know how to R.E.A.D and W.R.I.T.E.. Auntie Echo taught me, and tOld me not to tEll anyone yet. That it was our little secret. i'm only talling you because you are my best frIEND and I want you to know too.

the men with funny ears came today to our v.il.   vir  V.I.L.E.A.G.E. and asked to see auntie Ricker. Auntie Ricker always gets funny around the ear-men and pointed them to the big room that we are not allowed to go into, not even for hide and seek! It's not fair! Then Auntie U-cat and auntie Ricker closed the doors behind them and threw the lock.

I asked Momma what happened to the funny men after Auntie Ricker threw the lock. SHE said that the men had left through a magic portal that we couldn't go in. Because we are DWARFS!

I want to see the magic pointy-ear-man portal. Auntie Ricker doesn't know it, but I found the super-SECRET stairway that leads above the middle platform. I'm going to go see the pointy-ear men and follow them through the MaGiC PoRtAl! And you will come with me, best friend diary! You... and Feb -he's my boyfriend, momma said so, and momma knows best. We are best friends, being born right near the same time, and he's my only boy in the village, except little Maggrag who is my littlest brother and always is with momma. We get along best, so Feb is my best friend... aside from you diary.-

15th Granite - Rikkir's diary

Nearly directly on the the coattails of the elven caravan we caught a goblin ambush today. Two crossbowmen and a wrestler were following a human lasher who announced himself as Sashttol Ettadukor. They were fairly stupid, shooting our dogs and then walking directly into our traps with so few a number.

The only real shame was that we lost two more war dogs. But even then the dogs are breeding fast enough to keep up with the ambushes so I'm not really that worried.

18th Granite
Echo caught a goblin snatcher at the gates today while cleaning some of the traps. As she pulverized the creature (being naturally strong after years of harvesting, milling, threshing, and talking) you can imagine her surprise as the bag it was holding opened to reveal little Maggarg inside, crying plaintively.

Our relief was palpable as Frea went and collected her child.

28th Slate
Onul, my youngest, has had her first birthday today. However, although her body is physically able to walk, her broken hand and leg prevent her from doing so. Sniffles in pain constantly as we moved her to a bed, asking for water very thinly and weakly. It's a sad state for a dwarf to ask for water. I'll weep for my child tonight as I try to drown myself in her portion of our alcohol store.

10th Felsite

Two of the elves, a Liyiyi Winairu and a Mawada have gone crazy, foam spitting from their mouths in a berserkers rage as they tear about the inside of the depot. As we all watched on horrified, the two crazed elves began to tear into their comrades and animals, tearing away flesh with their fingernails and teeth. When they had finished off thier companions, the two crazy elves began to attack each other, squaking and screaming as each attempted to strangle the other at the same time.

In the end only Mawada was left, screaming at the top of his lungs "Ma adi Mawada Fathalaelana Ica Niyo!", until eventually Abod pulled out a crossbow we had looted from the goblins and shot him through the heart.

As the elves lay there, in a slurry of their own pooling blood I shook my head and addressed the children, the oldest of which seemed to be the only ones to have even a glimmering of what had just happened.  "And that is why elves are evil and should die. Imagine if we had let them loose when they got here children, what a danger they would have posed. Never forget this lesson."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:56:17 am by Jamini »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2008, 12:51:23 am »

One of the war gods killed a kobold by the west gate today.

Was it Ares or Mars? Or a different pantheon altogether?  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29