Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50687 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2008, 10:49:07 am »

ooooo me likey.... Vic's turning out to be a real troublemaker  ;D

so what did the mood get me? armorsmith?, I'll have to try and write a journal ;)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2008, 12:46:54 pm »

ooooo me likey.... Vic's turning out to be a real troublemaker  ;D

so what did the mood get me? armorsmith?, I'll have to try and write a journal ;)

It was a possession.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2008, 01:38:23 pm »

Wait, what was that about a snatcher?!?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2008, 02:31:20 pm »

That goblin, and a single ambusher (which I didn't take a picture of) were the goblins that killed Glacies dog.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2008, 09:30:53 pm »

1st Granite

Map

5th Granite 1066, Echo's Diary

Spring. A peaceful, beautiful time when the land around our small village seems to burst into new life. Within days of it's coming the trees and shrubs around the village burst into bloom, leaves and flowers striking up towards the heavens in a defiant gesture to the last vestiges of winter. The tendrils of their annual resistance to the rigors of the seasons entrenching them deeper within our soil.

With the coming of spring, I feel something stirring within me too. A sirring within myself, a voice that I can just barely hear on the wind. It has a singsong quality to it, not unlike my memory of my mother's voice. Soft and comforting, and yet insistent. I feel this need to set down my spade, shoval, rake, and hoe, to leave them sitting upon the edge of the workshop that has been claimed as my own by the virtue of nobody else caring about it.

I've locked myself in here, hidden from the others as I work on my rough alexandrites alone. Here I am safe, and here I can heed the soft, fey voices in my mind. The voices of the elves, who are coming...

The elves are coming...

10th Granite Glacie's Dairy-1066

The elves have arrived today. I spotted them while I was out hunting at night and I was able to lead them to the depot safely, without Rikkir knowing of it. They were nervous, obviously, the stories they tell me they heard about our village has made it almost an anathema to them. I really do not understand why the adults want these kind and peaceful people dead... nor do I want too, after spending so many hours talking with Vicarrah and Sarek. From their accounts she is hardened and uncaring that it's almost cruelr. Sarek was awake when I passed her house on the way to the depot, and she knows to wake our little group's ringleader as soon as feasibly possible.

I've moved a few crates of clothing and stonecrafts to the depot, heeding the warning of the lead trader that her people will not accept goods made of once-living creatures or wood. Father will not notice them until it is too late at any rate, and he will respect the laws of trade, even if Rikkir will not. She will not interfere, it will take her too much time to fix the damage I've done to the lever that controls the gates to the depot, and Ukat is too busy with the traps in the labrynth to be willing to spend time fixing my sabotage.

This year there will be no shedding of innocent blood.

16th Granite, Rikkir's Log

This morning I woke up with an ecastic grin on my face. Mulch, who had been patrolling near the west gate, had told me that the elves had arrived. It was the best news I had heard in the last three months, finally I could let up the monotony of our existence with a little bloodletting, with any luck providing us with entertainment, fodder for my pet, and a number of goods stolen from the elves. Win-win, right?

When I got to the depot to pull the lever however, something was off. It took me a minute to place it.

Insurrection! Rebellion! What is Glacies doing? She wouldn't speak to me during the day, preferring instead to talk with the dirty elves. The only words I could get from her were to talk to her again at nightfall.

This is bad. Carp-infested water source bad.

20th Granite

Worse and worse, while Mulch and I strive to find a way to remove the child from the depot, she has snuck a number of unused coats, hats, tunics, and gloves into the depot and has actually alowed the elves to barter for them. BARTER!

Even worse, Echo has fallen in with their camp. Claiming her artifact marked a new age of peace with the elves. She has betrayed the rest of us adults by joining Glacies in her little rebellion.

25th Granite

This madness has got to stop!

I've given up on saving Glacies, resigning to locking her into the depot with food and drink until the elves go mad, having Ukat on-duty outside of the depot to kill any that go berserk before they kill the foolish child. However when I tried to do so the mechanisms jammed, preventing me from even locking them into the depot.

I've ordered everything the elves owned dumped into the chasm. Effective immediatly.

27th Granite

Noooooooo!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:17:01 pm by Jamini »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2008, 05:34:48 am »

Haha, epic!
Magma is overrated.

Ririka

• Bay Watcher
  • 1 out of 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2008, 08:40:04 pm »

:D Awesome update , as usual!
Call me Rika.
'I often don't know where my Luggage is, that's what being a tourist is all about,'said Twoflower.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2008, 11:20:44 pm »

1st Felsite

The elves have left today, promising to bring many more useful goods to trade with us next year. Despite my protests there is nothing I can do on the matter. Killing them outright would be just as dangerous to Glacies as it would be to the elves, and with our population so small nobody would respect a murderer.

Speaking of Glacies, I need to think of a suitable punishment for her. Or at least, one that I have the power to act upon. Pete is making it difficult, outright refusing to help me in locking her up in any way. Constantly reminding me that we have no real laws for this sort of action. Physical punishment it out as well, and Echo keeps arguing against any sort of activity or curfew restraints. The traitor.

I feel so helpless.

1st Hematite

Jack has gone fey, locking herself in a craftsdwarf's workshop.

9th Hematite
Jack has made Maskirok, "The Equivalent Fingers", a Highwood toy axe. The pictures on it must have been from the bedtime tales that we gave our children, because that was before any of them were born.

Either way, after the manic drive for work left her system, I spent some time ... persuading... her to listen to our history with the elves. I think she found it quite enlightening.

12 Hematite

A Goblin master thief was spotted on the outskirts of the village yesterday, Glacies went out last week to hunt and hasn't returned yet. The sighting of goblins on our border bodes ill and although I'm reluctant too, she is still one of our children. I've sent Abod to go give her word and bring her home. By force, if necessary.

13th Hematite, The log of Rirdest Iragelu

Tarmec was uneasy. He's always uneasy when we go out on jobs to new towns, but this time he was different. Not really sure why. I suppose it's because we got the information about this town from elves, and Damoth knows they are not to be trusted. Or it might have been the fact that they claimed that it was a society of dwarves, mythical creatures that haven't existed in any great numbers since the great war seven-hundred years ago, and the rift that accompanied it. Indeed, it had been the near-destruction of the last dwarven clan in the great war that had led the allies of the Intricate Nut to abandon them to the Grey Alliance five-hundred, the last time that human and goblin civilizations had banded together in any conflict.

Still, the elves were insistent that it was there. That the stone crafts and clothing of such fine make they had gotten from a group of dwarves, and not from any other. I can't imagine why they would need to lie to us, especially the one the prince had detained and tortured the location of the site from. If there is nothing here, then I'll need to give my sincerest salutations to the elf who died rather than reveal his civilization's secrets. If there is, well, we brought well-trained guards for a reason. Should it be a trap or deceit, we will be well-prepared to defend ourselves.

14th Hematite

By the twin gods of commerce Damoth and Dastot, there really are dwarves here!

We had arrived at the location that the elf had described in great detail in his session in the interrogation chamber, following the directions exactly until we came upon... well... an empty field in the woods. At first, we figured we had been had. It wasn't the first time the prince had foolishly placed his investment in a lost cause, and it probably will not be the last either. That was a large part of the reason we had packed so little in comparison to the force we had brought.

We would have turned around and left, had Zan not spotted the goblin snatcher.

Now, goblins are nasty folk. Prolific and obscene, they often raid our villages in order to steal children or truely exceptional goods. What they can't steal, they sometimes try to take by force, sending out raiding parties to smash what they can, grab the rest, and then flee before the village guard can be called to fight them off. Some times they are sucessful, many times they are not.In either case however, goblins prefer to attack villages and outposts. Not caravans. They leave that to the elves.

So when we found the snatcher, here in the middle of the wilderness, we got curious. For all of the racket we had made, the damned creature hadn't found us. (Either that, or it just wasn't concerned with a band of adult humans in a well-guarded caravan) Instead focusing it's attention on a distant clearing. Hardly more than a speck on the rising foothills.  I, being the de-facto leader of our little group as well as our best tracker, followed it as it wound through the thick forest. Constantly moving towards the steeper hills. Until, at last, we came upon a thick stone wall surrounded by a deep moat.

That's really the best way I can explain it. The damned thing was nearly eight feet tall, and when I climbed a tree to look at how thick it was I was shocked to discover it was almost fifteen feet thick, parts of it already crested with crenelations. As I watched from my hiding place from the forest, the goblin slowly crept up to the border, laying down a long branch to cross the moat. It's face twisted into a vicious grin behind it's mask. It was then that a bolt flew out of the bushes and lodged itself into the thief's arm.

The goblin stopped, dropping it's dagger in suprise and pain as it looked at it's not-useless arm. The cursed thing screamed as a green blur shot out of the shrubs and smacked it alongside the head with something blunt, propelling the goblin several feet to lay stunned on the ground along the moat. It was then that I first saw the dwarf that I would later know as Glacies Libashrur.

She was small and stout, as all dwarves are when compared to us humans. But among her kind she was tall, her body significantly more lithe than some of the others we met later. Behind her, a thick braid of red hair whipped out like a cord, the red of the goblin's blood that stained it indistinguishable from it's fibers. Her face was twisted into a fierce grimace, the face of a young warrior. One still afraid of combat, and yet anxious to fight. As she stepped over the goblin she bashed the crossbow down again, narrowly missing the much thinner humanid at her feet.

As I watched, a second dwarf appeared, lunging from a portal in the ground I had missed on my first glance. This one was very thickset. Heavy, corded muscles and hands calloused by heat easily distinguished her as a blacksmith. With a roar the bearded warrior lashed out and grabbed the goblin by the shoulder, quickly placing him into a submission hold that exposed it's vital parts to the maliciously grinning crossbowdwarf. Within seconds it was over. The thief lay dead on the ground and the two women stood panting from their exertion.

Their performance was stunning, terrifying, and I quickly turned about to leave and collect the caravan. Carefully walking in with the trained guards in case these no longer mythical dwarves proved hostile. I had no doubt that the two of them could do the same to me as they had the goblin, as I was no warrior. However, my choice in the matter was made moot with the next words out of the Ranger's mouth.

"Well human, you had best come in. If you were one of theirs you would have attacked us with a vicious scream by now. Earning yourself a swift death. Welcome to Ulolgeshud." she paused for a moment, her hair drifting out of it's braid as her nearly black eyes locked into mine.

"The Last Fortress."

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:35:09 pm by Jamini »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2008, 12:41:15 am »

I wonder how long the outpost would take to become a mountainhome. If it did, it would be cool, because then you single-handedly managed to rebuild dwarven civilization in a world devoid of them.

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2008, 12:51:02 am »

Wow.
That word sums your fortress up.
I spent the last few days reading each and every post,
I believe there are a few male dwarves left, and if possible i would like the oldest unclaimed male,
Name him Zorpius, Craftsdwarf if possible, If not, make him anything useful.
A loud outrageous dwarf.
Thanks

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:02 am »

Wait... no human caravans for the first 16 years until now?
Magma is overrated.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2008, 02:06:38 am »

I was thinking the same. What gives?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2008, 02:14:35 am »

Normally, human caravans don't arrive until a dwarven caravan (or part of one) returns home, hence why you don't get them in your first summer.  I'm curious to know what gives as well.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2008, 02:31:41 am »

Maybe because the only dwarves live in the fortress hence no dwarf caravan

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2008, 02:48:16 am »

Perhaps they don't arrive until *any* caravan leaves your map (without being sized Eg, when someone makes a profit, they leave, spread the word etc.)
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29