Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50686 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2008, 07:36:05 pm »

You got a cool plan for that awesome mechanism?  Something like a cage trap for a GCS?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2008, 08:17:46 pm »

You got a cool plan for that awesome mechanism?  Something like a cage trap for a GCS?

It's the lever that RELEASES the GCS into the labyrinth... and resets all of the floodgate/bridges inside of it that are linked to pressure plates that activate on any creature of size 7 or less. ^^
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2008, 08:27:55 pm »

V. nice!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2008, 08:45:40 pm »

How did you do that?  I had the same situation with the shells in my own fortress a while back, and following the same steps, it took me two months to convince one of my eighty dwarves to eat a turtle.  I think I had more than one turtle prepared, too!

By the way, I've been enjoying the story immensely.  I also like the way you've handled the possessions, making it something really strange and downright creepy rather than the "ho-hum, another possession" like so many do.

To be fair, the most recent possession I did handle sort of ho-hum.. but I'm still over two years behind on updates. This particular game goes so bloody fast it's ridiculous.

Are you sure that you forbade everything that your dwarves can eat? Raw plants, meat, and prepared foods all need to be forbidden in order to ensure that the turtle gets properly eaten. Also, turn off your food creation orders in kitchens. Dwarves prefer to eat better food over the worse stuff when they can, meaning they'll tend to eat the legenday meals over the ordinary ones, and ordinary prepared food over raw foods.

Normally shell isn't an issue for me, because I'll embark with fifty-odd turtles and keep my shell/bone refuse pile underground, but this time I did it differently.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2008, 12:27:57 am »

but this time I did it differently.

"oh no, we're the last ones left, and our town has just been destroyed! we need to leave with only the essentials!" *grabs sacks of turtles*
Magma is overrated.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2008, 12:46:42 am »

Ah, I bet it was the plants now that you mention it.  I didn't shut down the farms so there was probably a steady supply of raw vegetables.  I also had to deal with a few dwarves that got interrupted during their meals right before this business started.  Turns out once a dwarf has picked up a meal, forbidding the food won't stop them from eating it--even if they don't get around to it for another two weeks.  It's pretty funny looking back at it, but was highly aggravating at the time.  The really funny part was when I tried to explain to a friend why forbidding all the food in the fortress was ultimately for the dwarves' own good...

Don't worry about getting behind, we'll take the story when we can get it. ;D

"oh no, we're the last ones left, and our town has just been destroyed! we need to leave with only the essentials!" *grabs sacks of turtles*
That's signature worthy! :D
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2008, 12:33:53 pm »

10th Granite - Rikkir's Log

The elves arrived today, pulling their lobotomized animals behind them as they headed to the depot. The gods gifted me with a plan last night while I sleep, one so amazingly beautiful that I feel it must be done. The elves, driven mad by their captivity, will run unaware into the cages that we will set up outside of the depot. Then, we will feed them to Evolaco in exchange for silk.

It's a foolproof plan, one that makes everyone happy!

Feb's Diary, 10th Granite

Momma went out and greeted the evil elves today. It's so exciting! I don't know what she talked about, but she went out in armor and with her pick ready. A true warrior even when facing the most deadly of enemies. I'm betting she's going to trick them into the depot again, where we can do what we want with them!

Glacies and I spent a little time talking about the elves too. She's been acting strange ever since her mother's death. Every time I try and talk to her about elves she gives me this strange stare, muttering softy about murder. It's like she hates momma. That doesn't make any sense of course, nobody hates momma... but still they talk about each other makes me scared. Real scared, like there's going to be a fight.

Oh, Momma's calling.

Later

Horray! Momma locked the nasty, evil, dwarf-killing elves into the depot. Everyone has gathered up around the depot to point, laugh, and make fun of the elves. Sarek and Tirean even threw some rotten berries they had picked out of the shrubs around the village at them and forgotten to eat. Momma has told a few of the other adults to tear up the road directly around the depot and put in a layer of traps so we can catch some elves. If it works, she says we can feed them to the big spider they put down beneath the cathedral. Glacies was the only one not at the celebration. Everybody else was too busy helping Momma build the traps and fix the road, so I'm going to go find her.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2008, 01:35:42 pm »

How have you not gotten an elf siege yet?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2008, 08:25:04 pm »

How have you not gotten an elf siege yet?

Sadly, no.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2008, 09:37:44 pm »

The events of 10th Granite

Glacies sat dejectedly in the kennels her face buried in the flank of a huge war dog while her tears ran  through it's fur. The rest of the dogs crowding close around her, ears low and upset as the dwarven child cried. Their warm bodies comforted her, while long pink tongues and wet black noses tried to find the injury on the dwarf who had spent so much time with them ever since the move to the new kennels. Here and there a few wolf pup's were in the mix, the wilder cousins of the dogs showing the same concern for their dwarven pack mate.

"It's not fair Edem." she said softly into the animal's flank, her voice echoing in the silty room, a room more a soil cave than a building. "It's just not fair. Rikkir is going to kill them and there is nothing I can do. She's going to murder those elves, those innocent elves, just like their friends did to grandpappa and the other dwarves. Mom was right, it's senseless! Pointless!"

Glacies stopped as she looked the animal directly in the eyes, his piercing blue gaze locking with hers momentarily, before his tongue lashed forward to clean the tears on the dwarf's face. The bulk of the animal's body comforting her as the shouts of the elves echoed through the complex. "What are we going to do Edem?" She asked the dog aimlessly

"We make her stop." The new voice startled Glacies, causing her to jump up and look around in a panic. It took her a moment before she noticed her younger sister Vicarrah, flanked by Sarek and Illeit.

"Vicarrah..." Glacies began, brushing away the tears in her eyes with her hand before self-consciously shaking her hair and beard straight, "What are you doing here, little sister?"

"Dad sent me to find you." The little redhead said softly as she looked at her two close friends, "Sarek and Illeit wanted to help."

"Did you hear...?" Glacies began, cut off by quickly by Illeit, "We heard. You're upset because mom wants to kill elves. Right? Well if that's the case, your sister is right. You're not doing anything down here?"

"What do you know?" The older girl asked, her face turning as red as her hair as she climbed to her feet. The dogs growled at her raised voice but she paid them no mind, "What do you expect me to do? Go argue against your Mom? Get real, little girl."

Illeit shook her head at Glacies in distaste, "You're not the only one who's talked with the elves, you know. Sarek and I spent some time talking with one of the kids they brought with them two years ago, back when your mom was still alive. We've seen the same things you have, what Mom does to them. It's not right."

"And you haven't done anything?" Glacies asked, her face slowly reverting to it's normal color.

"Mom doesn't give me the time of day. Do you really think that she'd listen to my objections over the treatment of the people she hates over taking care of the other twelve of us? Sarek here has no spine, whenever Mom asks her what the problem is she just blushes and writes it off. And me... well.. Mom has no reason to listen to one of her many female children." bitterness filled the young dwarf's voice as she stared down Glacies, the brown eyes she had inherited from her father filled with anger, "But you, you're different. You're not family. You're almost old enough to work. Mom will listen to you, because next year she won't have a choice. You'll be old enough to vote, whenever we get around to having elections, and that can make all of the difference in the world.

Glacies stood still for a moment, the dogs around her quiet as she thought on this. Her face getting brighter as a plan began forming in her mind. "It... it could work. Illiet, Sarek, sis. Let's start brainstorming. Rikkir isn't dumb, we need to make a plan now, while we still can."

26th Slate 1065, Rikkir's Log

Vicarrah has vanished! Nobody can find her!

3rd Felsite 1065, Rikkir's Log

After a week we finally found her emerging from the butchery complex. Carrying with her a buckler made of bone that she called amag Ugosh Ostar, the Yawningdaub the Hollow of Burials. A masterful wolf bone buckler.

11th Felsite

The elves went mad today, trapped within our depot.
The last elf alive we trapped in a cage. He'll provide a great sacrifice to Evalaco when the labyrinth is complete.

15th Hematite

We tested the labyrinth today. It was a wild success.
The damage the spider can do to elves is... gruesome. I would only wish it on them.

20th Malachite
Today our population has risen to 24, and I have yet another son to spend thirteen years caring for.

4th Sandstone

The dwarven age of responsibility is thirteen. Considered an unlucky year for all dwarves, we adults try to do our best to avert disaster by giving the youngster the best going-out party of their life. If they don't die of alcohol poisoning, then they are bound to have enough good luck to survive until a ripe old age. Today is Glacies thirteenth, and respecting tradition we had a HUGE party for her.

I don't think I've ever seen a child drink so much! She has a lot in common with her father, in that regard; that, her temper, and her thick red beard. Before the party she had split it into two thick strands and had braided flowers and bones into each one, giving her the appearance of a cave-dwarf until we forced her into an old dress that had once been her mothers.

During the party, Ukat had asked Glacies what she had wanted to do, grinning as the youngester eyed the crossbow on the mechanic's back. Her answer suprised everyone else though. Glacies had replied that she wanted to hunt. To go outside of the confines of the village and bring back meat that we all could enjoy. That she wanted to take over training our dogs, and collect hides for shoe leather and cloaks. To scout out the wilds around our home and give us warning of any goblin raids that might be coming.

Everyone wished her the best of luck as the party drew to a close, the less stout of the children, and some of the adults, staggering back to their rooms to spend the night fighting off fierce intoxication. The rest of the night I watched her as she put together weapons and armor for her expedition carefully, and then she set out.

13th Timber

Today is Feb's thirteenth birthday. And his official coming of age. By the old laws he is old enough to work with the rest of us, own his own furniture, and marry. The party was fantastic, and we drank and sang deep into the night until everyone was clearly drunk.

When Mulch asked Feb what he wanted to do with himself, Feb said that he wanted to help Glacies hunt by making bolts and crossbows. His enthusiasm both excited and saddened me as I realized he really was growing up, already liking some girls. Plus, we have more bones for bolts than we can use in a million years. It was sweet.

The best part of the party though, was watching a throughly smashed Echo and Abod trying to convince the relitivly sober child to marry them on the spot. The latter, fortunatly, fell asleep in a drunken stupor on the table not long after she started, and the former was convinced to dance on the table until dawn. Averting any real disasters, and giving me plenty of blackmail material.

24th Timber

Sparrow has become very secretive of late. Feb came complaining to me that she had kicked him out of his personal workshop in order to make something. Naturally he was quite upset, being that particular workshop is his, but there is nothing we can do right now. When I went to visit her it was quite clear that Sparrow has been infected by the madness.

6th Moonstone 1065

Sparrow gave Pete her finished work today, a drum she calls Dakardes Stegethoshot (Treeauthors the Organized Vnishment". She said it was to replace the one he had lost during our travels here

The old dwarf was stunned as she presented it to him, his face streaked with tears as she played for him, the same song Frea used to use for Sparrow's bedtime stories. When the child was finished, he picked her up and gave her a great kiss on the head, thanking her for the most beautiful present.

Sometimes we do need to be forcibly reminded that our children are quite a blessing.

13th Moonstone - Early winter of 1065.

Glacies came to me today while I was testing the properties of gnomeblight when smoked. She was covered in dirt, grime, and blood as she slammed the golden door that connected the silver room at the heart of the temple from the rest of it. Her eyes were wild, she was shouting something about goblins and ambushes, vowing vengeance on the greenskins with vehemence. Her face was beet red, not unlike her fathers when he get's angry, as she panted heavily from her recent exertion.

The first thing I had her do was to slow down, offering her a cup of River Spirits, which she downed quickly. Then she launched into her tale. Apparently she had been returning from hunting outside of the walls with her dogs when a pair of goblins had attacked them. The two goblins, not noticing the stealthy dwarf, had ganged up on the pup, murdering it remorselessly. Though Glacies had made them pay for the offense with their lives, filling the bodies of both goblins with bolts she had feared for her life while outside of the gates, and had quickly raced inside to where our traps protected both of us.

Comforting her on the loss of her pet, I've asked her to wait inside of the village for a while so she can train a few of the puppies to protect her on her next hunt. Where there is one goblin there are bound to be many, many more. Soon.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:51:46 am by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2008, 09:43:52 pm »

The flying annoying bold buttons strike Jamini in the last post
It is mangled
Jamini strikes the flying annoying bold button with her last post
The shot glances away
Jamini gives in to pain

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2008, 02:02:44 am »

Oh boy that was a good one =]. Cant wait for the next installment.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2008, 05:37:01 am »

I've just spent the last few days reading this topic...

And I can only say "WOW!"

Would it be possible for me to claim a male dwarf next time one is free? If possible i would like him to be a (In order) Butcher, Brewer, Mechanic.  Failing those things, make him whatever you want

Can't wait for the next one!!!
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2008, 09:51:10 am »

The profile of Chazzy Eshan.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:24 am »

How old am I now?
I can't wait for the next map.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29