Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cat fight  (Read 1813 times)

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
Cat fight
« on: September 14, 2008, 02:38:37 pm »

I didn't know this could happen, and it was kind of fun to watch.  I had a kitten in need of slaughtering, so I marked it for death.  At the same time, just to lessen the chance of the kitten adopting a dwarf before Urist Shinyknives could drag it to the chopping block, I assigned the kitten to a cage.

The result: as some random peon was dragging the kitten to the cage, my butcher met them in the hallway and took the kitten away from him, dragging it in the opposite direction.  But the peon's job didn't cancel, so he went chasing after them and took the kitten back.  Neither dwarf would surrender his objective, so there emerged a fairly comical cycle of each dwarf dragging the kitten as far as he could until the other seized it.  I remember seeing this sort of thing in Saturday morning cartoons.

It looked as if it could have gone on for quite a while, but I feared unwanted consequences if I let the contest run to its end, so I just unassigned the cage.  Maybe eventually the dwarf with the greater speed would have won, I don't know.  Heck of a thing to see.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Cat fight
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »

That.

Is.

Epic.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:20:02 pm »

Next time, add the hauling job to three more guys and lets see the results now.

5-sided CTF fest, I'll personally give some interwebs to the one who sends my a video of this.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:56:16 pm »

That, sir, is the definition of awesomeness! ;D Must have been pretty hilarious. But what would have happened if the kitten got into the cage? Would the butcher free the kitten and butcher it or would he cancel the job?
Please, investigate further.
For Science!
For Profit!

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 06:09:11 pm »

Okay, so I've managed to duplicate the situation, and here is the video (I hope I'm doing this right).  You can probably recreate it too, if you assign an animal to a cage as the butcher is taking it away.  This time through, the hauler was quicker and luckier than the butcher, and he got the kitten into the cage, then walked away and forgot the whole thing.  McDirty, it turns out that the butcher felt fine about killing the kitten after that, and I had to issue no additional commands.

Video: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-844-catfight

If there's a better way to link the video, somebody let me know and I'll edit this.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:33:46 pm »

This maybe warrants a post in the bug forum. Though perhaps it's a feature for dwarfs to be uncooperative and bloody minded.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »

This happened to me as well and I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening... as my butcher was dragging the hapless kitten away to its doom another dwarf would run up and grab it and run the opposite direction. I thought the dwarf saving the kitten repeatedly was some sort of hippy PETA guy, but it turns out he was just trying to imprison it.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:41:16 pm »

Yeah, plus I spoke to soon previously -- the hauler dwarf never did give up on taking the stupid cat to its cage.  The fight went on, and on, and on, until I unassigned the cage.  I'm convinced now that this is a bug, so I'll report it.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:54:33 pm »

That was simply an Epic Win!!!

We need to make some kind of dwarven olympics.

The Kitten tug-o-war can be an event, along with fortress flooding and Cave-in causing.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 08:40:07 pm »

Does it give stat boosts? It should imo.  ;D
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:00:33 am »

winner is the one that longer could go without need o a priority job (sleeping, drinking, eating) so it would be a stamina contest ^^
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 01:35:41 pm »

Hi!

This makes me wonder if any of them had any thoughts about this. After all, there is that "satisfied at work" thought, so maybe having someone run off with your job item could create a negative thought...

Have you noticed anything along those lines?

Deathworks

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "ezum Boltlove, Hale Disemboweler of Direction"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 03:07:04 pm »

yeah, since dwarves can become friends, and lovers, why not negative relationships?

"Oh shh, here comes that Urist McMiner, what a jerk."

"hey I heard that, ezum, you shut it!"

"yeah, so what? what're you gonna do about it?  jerk."

***Urist McMiner has gone berzerk!***
***ezum Bigmouth, fisherdwarf has been struck down!***

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 03:15:15 pm »

There's already grudges.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "ezum Boltlove, Hale Disemboweler of Direction"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 03:20:20 pm »

listed in thier thoughts and preferences?  like
"john has a grudge against bob" ?
Pages: [1] 2