Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guarantee that pits have a complete shell of adamantine  (Read 1953 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guarantee that pits have a complete shell of adamantine
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:36:37 pm »

Right now it's possible to dig into the pits accidentally - you're digging a shaft down, or prospecting for ore, and suddenly -- demons! In my opinion, you should always know that the adamantine is there before you get demons. The pits should be your penalty for getting too greedy with the adamantine, not a surprise. So, in my opinion, there should always be, at minimum, a single square of adamantine on every edge of the pits. I don't know how much of an impact this would have on the total supply of adamantine; if necessary, IMO it's better to have a smaller supply of adamantine tightly closed around the pits than it is for the adamantine to be more spread out with the pits more open to the rest of the world.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Guarantee that pits have a complete shell of adamantine
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 02:13:02 pm »

Seconded. I've accidentally released demons a ridiculous number of times.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:15:16 pm »

I've always read the HFS as imprisoned by the adamantium, so it makes sense. I think there are some issues with 3D (I'm thinking how veins don't go up), but I don't know.
Also, you may want to throw up some "Spoilers" in the thread title. Everybody knows by now, but it's the thought that counts.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:39:25 pm »

The problem I see is this give you an area of safe to harvest adamantium as you can always work out if the stuff you just ran into is the top layer and then collect with zero risk.

I agree there should be a warning, not exactly sure how it should be done though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:52:21 pm »

I do think that you should never be told how thick the Adamantium is though... You should be able to be surprised when it turns out to be one layer thick.

Nethras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 03:16:50 pm »

The problem I see is this give you an area of safe to harvest adamantium as you can always work out if the stuff you just ran into is the top layer and then collect with zero risk.

I agree there should be a warning, not exactly sure how it should be done though.

An extreme approach would be to generate the HFS normally, then place a couple accessible extensions of the pits 1 Z-level up from the original top, and then change all non-adamantine walls touching the pits, including above or below, into adamantine walls.  Then your top layer of adamantine is only a couple squares, with the roof over the originally generated pits not being completely safe to mine.  Might be possible to guess where the pits where based on the resulting shape of the adamantine though... maybe a warm/wet stone mechanic that affects all non-adamantine stone bordering the pits, and leave the current generation mechanic in?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:58:28 pm »

I... Agree. I once tried to sculpt a temple, where the adamantium was totally channeled out and formed a ball supported by the tendrils in the middle of an immense chasm, but I couldn't figure out how to clear it without opening it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 04:21:58 pm »

There should be some sort of risk of mining adamantium, at least for the world, even if you don't breach it. Afterall you just weakened the seal

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 04:33:58 pm »

I've always read the HFS as imprisoned by the adamantium, so it makes sense. I think there are some issues with 3D (I'm thinking how veins don't go up), but I don't know.

It's adamantine in DF.  I know other publications use other words, and it gets confusing but it's adamantine here.

Anyway, my real reason for quoting is that adamantine veins DO traverse the 3rd dimension, but yes, other minerals should do the same thing as well.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:36:25 pm »

I agree that demon pits should be surrounded by adamantite from all sides. I have found adamantite vein 3 times so far, but was always finding it after i breached the pit, not before.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 02:06:06 am »

Maybe create a new type of stone, which contains 'hints of adamantium'?  This could be like the warm/wet stone thing.  Finding it could let you know there's adamantium nearby -- but it would also warn you about the pits.  And if you dig through it greedily and hit pits instead of adamantium, well, that's your punishment for greed.

This would allow the pits to be surrounded by this stone (where there isn't adamantium), without increasing the adamantium supply.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 07:04:54 am »

Well perhaps the stone around the Adamantine could have a VERY low chance of giving you Adamantine to reflect the very small traces of adamantine around the HCL (or whatever it is called or means)

Either that or an entirely new kind of rock all together

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 08:21:11 am »

I saw glowing pits should have 1000 marksdwaves ready to fire at the HFS once they come out. That'd be perfectly balanced.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:29:35 am »

I think adamantine and pits in them should make any surrounding rock give a "strange kind of blueish glow"... just like water and lava does now make stone damp, so the code for that could be perfectly reused (except maybe also glowing a z-level above, what magma and water don't do.

So if you hit "a strang kind of glow", it will stop the designation just like with lava and water, and when you redesignate the dig it will be carried through... with whatever consequences you will face.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:31:21 am by catpaw »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 08:33:09 am »

I think adamantine and pits in them should make any surrounding rock give a "strange kind of blueish glow"... just like water and lava does now make stone damp, so the code for that could be perfectly reused (except maybe also glowing a z-level above, what magma and water don't do.

So if you hit "a strang kind of glow", it will stop the designation just like with lava and water, and when you redesignate the dig it will be carried through... with whatever consequences you will face.

I agree.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2