Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seperate Meat and Fish  (Read 1982 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seperate Meat and Fish
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:20:55 am »

The problem with fish (including stuff like turtles and lobster) is to get bones and shells you have to let the dwarves eat them and not cook them into nice food. As it stands this means I have to stock pile it in a different location so it's near the dwarves and not my cooking area. It would be much easier if meat and fish were in separate groups (the fish names with meat after could stay in meat mind you)

Just a minor change but it would make my life easier at least (although if your feeling nice giving us bones and shells from cooking fish would be better still)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seperate Meat and Fish
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:22:47 am »

Can't you just mark fish as not available for cooking in the kitchen menu (part of the [z] screen)?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:40:56 am »

You can.

It'd still make a certain amount of sense to make meat and fish into separate categories in the stockpile configuration screen, since they're separated elsewhere as well and they do behave differently.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:54:21 am »

I would actually like to see the process fish job do the seperation.  This means when you process a turtle you get a shell, bone, and turtle meat.  This would apply to all fish, and brings them more into line with butchering.

Some dwarves should like sushi and eat the fish before processing, but it would not produce shells and bones when comsumed in this fashion.  The dwarf didn't eat the bones, they are just considered damaged or unusable and not created.

I actually do that in my current fortress, turtles are captured as vermin through the trapper skill.  When my dwarves eat them nothing is left behind.  Obviously only those that venture out of a pool are caught.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:14:45 am »

I would actually like to see the process fish job do the seperation.  This means when you process a turtle you get a shell, bone, and turtle meat.  This would apply to all fish, and brings them more into line with butchering.

That makes sense to me as well. I prefer that to my cooking option :) Stockpile separation would be nice still though.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 01:14:43 pm »

Agreed separate at Cleaning is far more logical and it makes cleaning MEAN something rather then just 'make this eatable'.

P.S.  Shell get requested WAY too much in the rolls for Artifact materials.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

CJN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:44:41 am »

I made that one part of the improved fish processing suggestion I added to the voting list.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:44:05 am »

I made that one part of the improved fish processing suggestion I added to the voting list.

Hmm I need more votes now :( three choices isn't enough. It's so hard to decide which to drop to vote for this.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:59:49 pm »

Seems like a good quick enhancement to the stockpile options.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:05:13 pm »

Hmm I need more votes now :( three choices isn't enough. It's so hard to decide which to drop to vote for this.

Underground Diversity. :P

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:28:50 am »

Didn't vote for that anyway :P it's an ongoing thing rather than something I'd like to see changed/fixed. ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:50 pm »

Didn't vote for that anyway :P it's an ongoing thing rather than something I'd like to see changed/fixed. ;)

Hence the :P as I'd checked.