Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tileset  (Read 1850 times)

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tileset
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:07:23 am »

i'd like to know what everyone thinks is the best tileset to download.

Tanks
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: tileset
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:34:54 am »

Personally I dont like to see half assed graphics - ascii combination in my games, so I only play in ASCII mode. I will wait until we will have full graphical support, so everything in the game will be graphical after that point.

If you are looking for a good ASCII tileset, you should try out Herrbdog's perhaps.  :)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:03:48 am »

Personally I don't like to see half assed thread titles.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:37:32 am »

foenix -

I mostly agree with Tormy on this one. I don't personally like graphics very much the way they are now; however, I know that Dystopian Rhetoric is a very popular set. Welcome to the forums.

Yanlin -

Please don't alienate new users with snarkiness. This forum has a relatively low frequency rate of jackassery and there's no reason to increase it now.

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:20:29 am »

I like this mike mayday package.  Its all put together for you, just d/l from the link.  It doesnt include the last small bugfix at the moment but he updates it regularly.  It's a combination and refinement of many contributor's work.

You can get a quick look here:
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:24:42 am by grognoglog »

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:54:41 am »

Mayday is good, I like Guybrush.  I like threads discussing what mods and things people like and find useful to their enjoyment of the game.  Not posts which are trollish.  Anyone seen and EZpacker style tilesets for download for the latest edition yet?  Been having uber problems getting mine to work according to the wiki instructions.  See topic http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24829.0 for that thread.  Anyway, my two cents are in......

GG
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Massam

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait...you're putting me in charge?!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 02:22:17 pm »

I'm using the Mayday one. Works good.

^^atte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 03:47:22 pm »

Maydays rock but the latest version is 40a that dont work for me -.-, hope he uppgrade it soon ^^

Nethras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 05:59:58 pm »

The ASCII graphics are surprisingly descriptive when you get used to them, they get my vote ;)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 12:13:11 am »

I like ASCII of some sort, without graphics. The only symbols I allow to change are beds and dwarves (since they aren't used for anything else). And walls, i like to make walls more smoothed or ,spikey :). Just look at last two years of pagebend in at map archive :)
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:47:08 am »

i have to admit  i find the ASCII characters very easy to understand and use, being a longtime roguelike player.  That's what i was leaning towards anyway. 
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

Dakej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:59:57 am »

I like this Deep Qantas: Expanded tileset. It's pretty detailed, although maybe a bit too much for some people's taste.

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 09:24:31 pm »

I like Sphr's work, so I am using his "Director's Cut" package, which includes all his graphics files and a few minor raw modifications, too. It's easy to install, just follow the instructions in the readme.

Download:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=422

Lots of screenshots on his wiki page, here:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Sphr/gfx_set

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:15 pm »

Maydays rock but the latest version is 40a that dont work for me -.-, hope he uppgrade it soon ^^

You know you can easily update it yourself, right? Once you get it figured out it's pretty simple.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 11:43:47 pm »

Herrbdog 12x12 -- pure ASCII, attractive, readable, not XBOX HUEG. If somebody scaled it down further and kept it readable, I'd probably use that.

I don't generally use graphics sets, since it's too much of a pain to transport them across updates, but I've got nothing against them.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".
Pages: [1] 2