Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Humor aside, any reason the carp is not fixed yet?  (Read 2843 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Humor aside, any reason the carp is not fixed yet?
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:53:22 am »

From what I know it's a simple RAWs error that any half brained modder can fix. (Me being a quarter brained modder, I cannot fix this.)

Is it kept this way just because of DF humor? (I call it Dwarf logic. In homage to Wurmlogic which come from the game Wurm Online.)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
Re: Humor aside, any reason the carp is not fixed yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 06:10:08 am »

Elephants already have been nerfed ...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 06:48:01 am »

I know. But I am talking about carp!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 07:16:39 am »

The main problem is that they drag dwarves down with them, and the fact they can attack the z-level above them in the first place. Both are hardcoded.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:22:58 am »

Problem: Dwarves like to charge their enemies. Fosh are in the water. Thus, dwarves tackle the fish in the water with no way of getting out.

Solution: Make rivers have ramps on their edges. Thus dwarves in the water can just walk their way to dry land. Then fish are not much of a problem anymore.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:31:36 am »

No way. Real rivers are just a smooth wall going down 2 meters and has blue 7s sitting in it.

Yeah. I'd love ramps in rivers and pools. That'd be awesome. But we also need to simulate floods better. And have a less smooth terrain.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:34:46 am »

Is it kept this way just because of DF humor? (I call it Dwarf logic. In homage to Wurmlogic which come from the game Wurm Online.)
Yeah it is. Its a rule, we must have at least one super-overpowered beast at a time. I mean look at it, as soon as the elephant fell from its position as king of beasts, then the carp rose to that position. We would need another killer creature before we could dethrone the noble carp.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:35:34 am »

I think the carp's super-powerful bite attack has already been fixed. It's just the way that they drag people into the water with them.

We would need another killer creature before we could dethrone the noble carp.

We do - elf zerg rushes! OM NOM NOM
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 08:53:14 am »

I think the carp's super-powerful bite attack has already been fixed. It's just the way that they drag people into the water with them.
Actually they really are not dragging the dwarves into the water, as there is no such thing as a drag attack. What is actually happening is that the dwarf that is fighting them charges or dodges into the river and then drowns or is eaten.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:25:25 am »

I still don't see why a fish with no teeth would bite so hard.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 11:35:50 am »

It's a fairly simple fix guys, I'd post it all for you but my current DF is modded to hell.

Look at all the fish raws in river_temperate and ocean raw.

Scroll to each of their damage, where it says BITE:1:6

Change that to BITE:1:2

The problem are that fish are size 3, and dwarves are size 6.
Yet fish all have an attack that do a generic 1:6 damage bite, while dwarves do 1:2 punch attack. That means a dwarf without a weapon and stats modifiers do slightly over 1/3 the damage of fish.

That's why groups of fish, while easily killed, will mob and maul fisherdwarves.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 11:38:40 am »

It's a fairly simple fix guys, I'd post it all for you but my current DF is modded to hell.

Look at all the fish raws in river_temperate and ocean raw.

Scroll to each of their damage, where it says BITE:1:6

Change that to BITE:1:2

The problem are that fish are size 3, and dwarves are size 6.
Yet fish all have an attack that do a generic 1:6 damage bite, while dwarves do 1:2 punch attack. That means a dwarf without a weapon and stats modifiers do slightly over 1/3 the damage of fish.

That's why groups of fish, while easily killed, will mob and maul fisherdwarves.

Changing the attack damage will accomplish very little. Even if you changed the size to 1, it would still accomplish very little. The problem exists not in the strength of the carp (which is very low, even at 1:6), but in the fact that the dwarves tend to fall into the river when confronted by carp.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:43:19 am »

If you have a pond/river where dwarves are constantly falling into, build stairs two sections away from the river, and then mine into the river.

Thus any dwarf who falls in can kill the fish and get back out before he drowns.

Did some of you guys fail basic dwarven engineering? ;)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 01:41:41 pm »

It's not that a easy workaround exists, it's just that small fish do not realistically drag things into the water when fighting them- the dwarven combat AI has no intelligence about dangerous terrain when I choses where to dodge/charge too. Although the carp are the most common form of this problem, dodging off of cliffs occurs for the same reason.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 01:54:31 pm »

It's not that a easy workaround exists, it's just that small fish do not realistically drag things into the water when fighting them- the dwarven combat AI has no intelligence about dangerous terrain when I choses where to dodge/charge too. Although the carp are the most common form of this problem, dodging off of cliffs occurs for the same reason.
Carp is not a small fish.
Now small varieties do exist - the ones in your gardens pond, but not all carp are like that.

Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.
Pages: [1] 2