Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 469145 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2009, 03:35:28 pm »

Life becomes very difficult and unpleasant if you try and export an object decorated with a cloth image of your leader, to a world where he hadn't been born.  So I doubt that'll happen...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2009, 05:13:51 pm »

Experimented with topic splitting just now.  The topic was split to avoid derailing on the interface.  Please keep this topic associated to eternal suggestion voting discussion.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2009, 10:22:12 am »

I'd rather see a voting system something like Randall Munroe's Beautiful Image rater.

You're given two choices, chosen at random, and you pick which one you like better. This continues until you've compared every combination of things.

With enough people doing this, you end up eventually with a prioritized list of every single item.

Just throw all the dev notes in there and let it sort itself out.

If I could find the website, I'd link it, it had an explanation of how the algorithm worked.

The reason this would be good for this purpose is because there are HUNDREDS of items. Picking your favorite three just isn't efficient. By the time I read through the whole list in this poll, I can barely remember a third of it.

EDIT: Hrm, I THOUGHT it was the xkcd guy, but a casual search of the blag didn't turn anything up. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:32:21 am by Jadael »
~ T

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2009, 10:27:25 am »

It's a pain to change your mind though. But I'd like to see it in action.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2009, 05:40:56 am »

I'd rather see a voting system something like Randall Munroe's Beautiful Image rater.

You're given two choices, chosen at random, and you pick which one you like better. This continues until you've compared every combination of things.

With enough people doing this, you end up eventually with a prioritized list of every single item.

If I could find the website, I'd link it, it had an explanation of how the algorithm worked.

The reason this would be good for this purpose is because there are HUNDREDS of items. Picking your favorite three just isn't efficient. By the time I read through the whole list in this poll, I can barely remember a third of it.

EDIT: Hrm, I THOUGHT it was the xkcd guy, but a casual search of the blag didn't turn anything up. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Comparing every item with every other item doesn't lead to x!, as I thought first, but to x^2 / 2, roughly, which in the case of 100 items is ~5000 compares. Still too much to be feasible in this case (but of course nowhere near x!, stupid me).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:07:19 am by zagibu »
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2009, 07:45:49 am »

Comparing every item with every other item doesn't lead to x!, as I thought first, but to x^2 / 2, roughly, which in the case of 100 items is ~5000 compares. Still too much to be feasible in this case (but of course nowhere near x!, stupid me).

I disagree, the website I mentioned - it may be down now, I can't find it anywhere - managed to create a sensibly rated list of thousands of images. It doesn't require that every voter vote on every possible combination, just that enough combinations are voted on by enough voters.

EDIT: www.thebestpic.net seems to be the same idea, but it doesn't seem to be very old, it's only got 67 images uploaded and 3000 votes.

EDIT 2: Apparently this is a Ranked Pairs Condorcet method, for which you can find many free Perl and CGI scripts, and probably PHP. The first result is a Python script.

This website is a free online service for running a generic Condorcet poll, which gives you a ranked list of every candidate at the end. However, it requires each voter to order their list of candidates by hand, and then submit their ranked list. With as many items as there are, that would be unwieldy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:07:52 am by Jadael »
~ T

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2009, 02:59:15 pm »

Hmm, then I might have misunderstood the concept you were explaining here:

I don't think that many people would like a system where you can't directly vote for your favourite things.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2009, 03:11:55 pm »

I believe you're thinking of thefunniest.info.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2009, 04:33:31 pm »

I don't think that many people would like a system where you can't directly vote for your favourite things.
The ones here would be willing to go through a few hundred permutations on a regular basis, I think.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2009, 05:08:21 pm »

The ones here would be willing to go through a few hundred permutations on a regular basis, I think.

Well that's sort of the point. It forces people to examine combinations and think, "Hmm, which one of these would I like better?," instead of just going, "I NEED GRAPHICS/TUNNELERS/MINECARTS/ROCKET SHIPS BLARGH."
~ T

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2009, 11:20:42 am »

I went looking for a quick implementation I could toss up on some free hosting, but was unable to find out that was already written for that purpose, at least as far as I could tell.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2009, 04:10:17 pm »

I went looking for a quick implementation I could toss up on some free hosting, but was unable to find out that was already written for that purpose, at least as far as I could tell.

Hmm, I can find a few scripts that tank already-ranked ballots and spit out a winner, but nothing like the example of thefairest.org; that website does describe how it works though.
~ T

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2009, 08:43:41 am »

Yeah, I just wanted something I could puke onto some webspace and link with a database, didn't want to do a whole lot of scripting.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2009, 10:48:28 am »

Looks like the current top vote by a long shot is improved hauling.  Can we/do we have an official thread for that?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2009, 05:11:38 pm »

You know, looking at the eternal suggestion voting list, I noticed something:

Minor suggestions never make it anywhere, because people only get three votes, and naturally want to use those votes for things that would make a big difference...  which are, generally, large-scale improvements.

But that's a pity, because many minor changes that look like they'd be comparatively easy to implement drop to the bottom.

So...  why not give everyone unlimited votes?  Yes, sure, things would end up with very high numbers, but I think people are smart enough to not vote for everything (since that's basically a vote for nothing...)  Or replace it with up/down voting on everything.

I mean, sure, you might end up with people voting down everything except the one thing they want or something silly like that.  But overall I think that it would give a better picture than what we have now...  nobody is voting for the minor-but-nice ideas, so only the broad sweeping changes are drifting to the top.  With up/down voting, anything that looks easy and uncontroversial would also drift to the top, since nobody is likely to vote against it.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 58