Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 468913 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #645 on: March 13, 2012, 04:24:31 pm »

Toady has the code, ask him. Unfortunately, I've got too many things going on to work on the script.

Also, I wasn't gone, I check this forum almost daily.
Done, I PM'd Toady. Other coders: feel free to ask him for the script as well, because I'm not sure I'll have the time to do this. If we're several people working on this, all the better. May the best/most motivated programmer win.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:36 pm »

Aha! I've found the button that votes for things. That might explain why my votes weren't showing up before...

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 21, 2012, 01:57:22 pm »

Heh, the new generation of ajax-spoilt children will never figure it out. When I was young, you still had to properly submit a form, there was no newfangled I-Jags around in our time to wipe our butts when we were done.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 01, 2012, 01:15:08 pm »

The Bay 12 Games Report, April 1st, 2012: "this month we'll finally be tackling the winner of the eternal voting"  8)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 01, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »

So what was the winner? Does anyone Know?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 01, 2012, 08:22:26 pm »

Toady specifically mentioned hauling, and that's at the top of the list so I'm guessing that, in whatever form he eventually gets to it in.

He also mentioned working on fire AI at some point after that, but I'm not sure what that means precisely.  Hopefully dwarves will be a bit more proactive about avoiding !!stuff!! and seeking out means of putting themselves out instead of setting more stuff on fire.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:50 am »

...and minecarts, bags and wheelbarrows are in according to the devlog.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 04, 2012, 01:29:32 am »

So what was the winner? Does anyone Know?

You can check link in the first post.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 03, 2012, 12:23:54 am »

A lot of excellent ideas on that list!  Makes me wish I could choose twenty items and rank them in order of preference.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 03, 2012, 02:21:48 am »

OH CRAP, the spambots are getting smarter!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 03, 2012, 07:44:32 am »

OH CRAP, the spambots are getting smarter!

Spambots?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 27, 2012, 06:27:14 am »

seeing multithreading as 11th in the voting list made me wish more people knew what it is.
MULTICORE SUPPORT MAN. YAYUS.
I am a Goober.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 29, 2012, 01:33:31 pm »

seeing multithreading as 11th in the voting list made me wish more people knew what it is.

I think the reason it doesn't get more votes is because it would require a massive overhaul of the game to put in, and during that time Toady couldn't really do anything else. So the overall development would stall for a very long time without anything new being added. Sure, performance would improve, but that's about it.

Personally, I'd rather have more features and less bugs than better performance, and I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

alexandrite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 10, 2012, 05:48:08 pm »

I think the reason it doesn't get more votes is because it would require a massive overhaul of the game to put in, and during that time Toady couldn't really do anything else. So the overall development would stall for a very long time without anything new being added. Sure, performance would improve, but that's about it.

Personally, I'd rather have more features and less bugs than better performance, and I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

Same. 

Also, some technical stuff: Concurrency is difficult and bug-prone, it would require different code for each supported OS, and even modern games still only run two or three threads: Device I/O (network, hard drive, whatever), Game Logic, and Graphics.  Offloading the entire game logic to a different thread would be negligibly helpful in this case, and even if the game logic were spread out into multiple threads (like one for pathing, one for fluid simulation, and one for everything else for instance) all the game logic threads would still have to wait on the slow one to finish before updating the state of the game.  tl;dr: Even if pathfinding and fluid simulation were offloaded, the rest of the game would still have to wait for it to before finish a "tick" of the game could happen.  It would be of minimal benefit for colossal effort.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:56 pm »

Offloading the entire game logic to a different thread would be negligibly helpful in this case

Psst, it already is.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 58