Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 469045 times)

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #360 on: February 28, 2010, 05:54:46 pm »

And Skuggaping smorgasbrod does what?
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 02, 2010, 08:11:36 pm »

And Skuggaping smorgasbrod does what?

Some elements of it do rating/voting for Suggestion, and other make it easy to follow up on and group similar suggestions.

As you noted, it is a smorgasbrod so there is a lot of stuff on it that is not related to voting..

We found the zirilid stream

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 03, 2010, 07:10:52 am »

There are many external tools, which could be useful, but all I've seen so far lack SM forum integration.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 03, 2010, 02:49:45 pm »

There are many external tools, which could be useful, but all I've seen so far lack SM forum integration.

Does it really need that much integration, though?  Does ESV's current level of integration go any farther than pulling the user ID out of the session?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 04, 2010, 06:31:02 pm »

No, you are right, I guess it doesn't do much more than that. I think it also checks for admin, mod or guest rights somewhere, but this could also be checked by looking it up in the db.
99 barrels of beer!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 09, 2010, 08:27:05 am »

I kind of like Rainseeker's approach to voting, so I'll try to translate it here:
We nominate/gather some suggestions from the community.
We vote for our favorite ones.
We don't reveal the results until the voting ends.

Pros:
  • We get rid of redundant suggestions and the "human herd instinct".
  • Suggestions can be easily transferred to the next voting round

Cons:
  • For this to be effective, we'd have to limit the nomination and voting time period from eternal to a month or so.
  • Once the nominations are final, the voting starts and no more suggestions can be added.
  • The votes would be cleared before each voting round.
  • We'd probably have to limit the amount of suggestions and/or the summary.

I think this would work great, if we didn't already have 200+ suggestions. :-X
But since I came this far, I'll just click the "Post" button and wait for comments.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 09, 2010, 01:46:37 pm »

Periodic re-voting could be interesting. How long would you design a period? A month? And what happens with monthly winners? Might be a bit boring if the same top10 suggestions win every month. Maybe remove them and have an end-year voting of all top suggestions?
99 barrels of beer!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 09, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »

Seems like it would depend mostly on what's most useful for Toady. I know he's planning on shorter release cycles from here on out, so maybe once a release (whatever that ends up being?)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2010, 07:58:58 am »

How long would you design a period? A month?
We'd tailor the time periods to Toady's needs.

And what happens with monthly winners?
The results will be forwarded to Toady.

Might be a bit boring if the same top10 suggestions win every month. Maybe remove them and have an end-year voting of all top suggestions?
Yeah, you pointed out a good issue. Toady will probably implement 0 - 2 suggestions, depending on difficulty, priority, workload, schedule and so on.

Perhaps we could remove the suggestions that received most of the votes (sure winners) and recycle the others.
End-year voting doesn't seem necessary, except Toady would explicitly want that. I see the winners as suggestions that the people REALLY want in, sooner or later. And so, they would be permanently added to Toady's TODO list, if he would agree to this.

I feel the nomination phase is also important here.
Do we exclude the suggestions that fared poorly in the previous voting rounds?
Do we set up some rules for nominating a suggestion (i.e. the suggestions MUST be well defined, not be too broad, not overlap with others, have a descriptive title and a concise summary...)?
Assuming we'll impose a limit... how do we decide which suggestions to put in, once the amount of suggestions exceeds the limit?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:02:01 pm by dorf »

BlckKnght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 10, 2010, 05:13:24 pm »

Periodic re-voting could be interesting. How long would you design a period? A month? And what happens with monthly winners? Might be a bit boring if the same top10 suggestions win every month. Maybe remove them and have an end-year voting of all top suggestions?

Um, this seems like we're going backwards.  Isn't periodic voting on suggestions exactly what the eternal voting system was created to replace? Why would we want to go back to the old way?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 10, 2010, 06:01:26 pm »

Yeah, I personally would like to preserve the "Eternal" aspect of ESV.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 11, 2010, 07:40:08 am »

Ah, I was not aware of that.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45:19 pm »

Um, this seems like we're going backwards.  Isn't periodic voting on suggestions exactly what the eternal voting system was created to replace? Why would we want to go back to the old way?

The script was created to reduce the amount of manual labor involved in these suggestion gathering endeavours. The problem the current system has is that nobody knows how many "dead" votes hang in there. A periodic reboot (maybe longer periods than months) would reduce this problem a bit.
99 barrels of beer!

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 11, 2010, 08:29:28 pm »

Timestamp the vote and weight it with 'weeks since vote'.

"I voted this week" = full credit.
"I voted last week" = 95%
"This month" = 90
"This season" = 70
"Last six months" = 50

(Or pick a faster depreciation, whatever.) If you're hyper-partisan, you can revote all you like for the same thing and always have your vote count 100%. But even just once a month or so gets you -most- of the way there. And you vote still counts for something even if you're infrequent.

Things like:
Code: [Select]
12. (176)  [Resolved] Designate Safe Area
Would automatically be migrating lower and lower. (People re-voting would see "Resolved" and the additional notes. The 176 votes that are still there are many months old at this point.)
--
On a separate note:
Would it be possible to for the user-facing form to have a checkbox (or something) that allows some sort of feedback on whether an item should be [Resolved]? With the possibility of submitting URLs?

Like item #20: Rope Ladders. No, they aren't going to be in this release. But the major game impact is the ability to build down - and that is going to be in (IIRC). An automated note such as:
27 people claim that a significant fraction of this development item should be considered RESOLVED,
and this URL has been provided as reference.

That isn't a "Revote now!" instruction so much as "Rethink the importance of this entry after reading this."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 11, 2010, 08:48:16 pm »

Things like:
12. (176)  [Resolved] Designate Safe Area
Would automatically be migrating lower and lower. (People re-voting would see "Resolved" and the additional notes. The 176 votes that are still there are many months old at this point.)

FYI, I own that one, and any other I've marked as "resolved" will be deleted and re-added as "completed" (thus clearing the votes) once the new version comes out.  It doesn't stop people from voting for it even then, but would indicate to people that it was recently dealt with and likely will not be getting attention in the near future.

I would also PM the voters--if I knew who they were--asking them to re-cast their votes.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58