Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 468822 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #600 on: April 10, 2011, 01:49:12 am »

DONE:
Eggs, eggs, eggs.
Owned Barracks
Incorporate combat text
Specific weapon selection
Meeting Area Subcontrol
Factional Standings in Adventurer
Doctors/Hospitals
Isn't "Message control" (#230) currently implemented in 0.30?

EDIT: Also, "Fix Cooking Exploit" (#225), "Allow cycling through site finder results" (#208), "Doctors/Hospitals" (#57).

And "Incorporate combat text"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:51:18 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 13, 2011, 03:40:33 pm »

DONE:
Eggs, eggs, eggs.
Owned Barracks
Incorporate combat text
Doctors/Hospitals
"Message control"
"Fix Cooking Exploit
"Allow cycling through site finder results" (#208)
"Incorporate combat text"
Balanced Range Weapons (?)

Rename
Ability to buy sand/water/rough gems from merchants -> Ability to buy water from merchants
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:43:38 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #602 on: April 29, 2011, 07:29:18 am »

also:   "Improved Quiver Filling"

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 09, 2011, 03:28:45 pm »

Don't know if this has been suggested yet. But animal power devices. In various forts I have captured and tamed large and powerfull creatures (elephants for example).

They could be placed in one of those thins that has a yoke attached to a big wheel where they walk around in cricles to power various devices. I feel this would be very dwarfy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:43:01 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 09, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »

...animal power devices. In various forts I have captured and tamed large and powerfull creatures (elephants for example).
They could be placed in one of those thins that has a yoke attached to a big wheel...
That's an interesting idea and it sounds rather dwarfy. But if you want it badly, why not go to the DF Eternal Suggestion Voting page, and from the pull-down menu at the bottom of the page choose "create new suggestion"?  Even better, start a new thread in DF Suggestions area about your idea. [BTW: Elephants and other large grazers would not work for this purpose because they have to eat grass constantly (24/7) or else they starve. Either Toady would have to make grazing a lot more lenient, or you'd have to limit this to smallish grazers or carnivores.]

Anyway, this thread is not for making suggestions and such suggestions will probably get ignored:
This is a thread about the voting system, not the voting system itself.

If you want that idea actually IN the voting system you're going to have to add it.  And in any case, this thread is not the place to discuss the merits of a suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:09:47 pm by Thundercraft »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 19, 2011, 09:05:51 am »

Is there already a suggestion to ignore some event messages (a)?

Some circumstances cause a virtual waterfall of message spam, for instance one of my current dwarves has lost both arms, now instead of learning how to use her feet or teeth instead, she keeps reporting that action X is cancelled: too injured.
An option to either ignore the cancelled, too injured or messages from the dwarf in question would be appreciated. (about tenth suggestion i'd vote on.) :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:29 am »

Is there already a suggestion to ignore some event messages (a)?

You could try the Ctrl-F function of your browser.  It's #234.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 19, 2011, 05:34:30 pm »

Some circumstances cause a virtual waterfall of message spam, for instance one of my current dwarves has lost both arms, now instead of learning how to use her feet or teeth instead, she keeps reporting that action X is cancelled: too injured.
An option to either ignore the cancelled, too injured or messages from the dwarf in question would be appreciated.
As stated in the post above yours, this is not the thread to voice game suggestions. And, yes, it's easy enough to use a browser's CTRL+F search. But you could choose the "create new suggestion" option on the actual Eternal Suggestion Voting poll to make it an official suggestion for everyone to vote on.

That said, you may be interested to know that init settings already exist to modify how certain game announcement and combat report messages are handled. It's possible to make some of them less annoying and perhaps even turn some off entirely. Unfortunately, it looks like "too injured" is not adjustable.

To see what I'm talking about, go into the "...\data\init\" folder inside your Dwarf Fortress game directory and open the 'announcements.txt' file. (BTW: I recommend making a backup copy before changing anything.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:36:50 pm by Thundercraft »

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 22, 2011, 01:08:43 am »

I think why no one jet has not yet had the idea to be able to possess your dwarf. If I understand correctly, the blood god is a player, so why would not be able to do this and do not examine their own dwarf carrying him through the maze and help him or fight as this dwarf against the forgotten beast. I think, it can be very fun. It isn't so exciting when some dwarf must run to laver and pull it to activate your masterdoom trap. Isn't fun too, if you must get 10 dwarfs to your last hope room and burrow they, and waiting. Or when you must abadoning your fortress, copy save, go to adventure and test your slave chumber project, and restore your backup. It isn't fun. But if you can do this, and back do your fortress, and after that you still can play... It can be a lot of fun!
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 22, 2011, 09:53:55 pm »

This is a thread about the voting system, not the voting system itself.

If you want that idea actually IN the voting system you're going to have to add it.  And in any case, this thread is not the place to discuss the merits of a suggestion.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #610 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:45 am »

IMHO, player should be able to vote for as many items as he wishes.

It is best system of votes, often suggested for presidental ellection as it allows "compromise" candidate with which most of voter would be satisified to gain huge traction.

Here, I thik that there are many items could have higher following than current top-10, but since people have to drop them for "big" suggestions, they get ignored.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:30 am »

Here, I thik that there are many items could have higher following than current top-10, but since people have to drop them for "big" suggestions, they get ignored.

Just looking at the top 10, even if people were allowed more votes (up to and including "vote for everything") they'd remain:

Improved Hauling
 - Given that hauling is the most time consuming task for dwarves, this would still be up there.  If it weren't for hauling, a lot of projects would get done faster.  This isn't a "big" suggestion per say, it's just undefined, as us--the players--don't know how the system can be improved.
Standing production orders
 - The largest headache for the player is dwarves running out of booze because they canceled the "make booze, repeat" order because there weren't any brewable plants because there weren't any farms active because there wasn't any storage space so the player stopped planting new crops and forgot about it.  This would still be a top-10 item.  This is a moderately sized, but ill defined suggestion, as while we have ideas, it's up to Toady to figure out how HE wants to implement it.
Improved (Speed Up) Pathfinder
 - The largest source of fort death: Low FPS.  See item #1, which it goes hand in hand with (fewer hauling operations -> less pathfinding)
Workshop Material Selection
 - This is not a "big" suggestion, but rather a return to the materials selection choices we had back in v0.23.  This would still be a top-10.
Full graphics support
 - Large, high support, would still be a top-10, and currently being worked on to some degree.
Improved Mechanics
 - This is a large suggestion, but one that's well warranted.  "Powered" objects are few and we want more point to them.  Likely would remain top-10.
Auto-mining
 - Rather nitch suggestion, really, but everyone wants it.  Designating just that ore vein is a pain in the ass.  Would remain a top-10.
Job Priorities
 - Not a large suggestion, would actually take very little coding.  Fairly nitch, but highly useful.  Alleviates some player micromanagement pain.  Would stay top-20 for sure.
Abstract the Interface
 - Probably never going to happen, regardless of changes to the voting system and would likely stay high up (top-20)
Adventure Mode Skills
 - Currently being worked on.  Large, broad, and well warranted.  Adventure mode is kind of boring right now without the ability to create stuff.  Would still stay top-10 in all likelihood.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #612 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:46 am »

Yes, but that is because you have to choose, so you choose your biggest itches.

On the other hand, i can easily imagine likes of:

Wildlife Repopulation
Persistent trade good tags
Remember Trade Agreements

or so gain a lot. Suggestions that you ignore in favor of big ones because you have to be focused on them, but which most people would say "yep" and be happy.

Out of at least 1347 people who voted, i can easily see some of lower rated suggestion to get at least current #10 popularity (338 votes).

Some suggestions are small, but also uncontroversial and low-hanging fruit to boot.

Just for reccord, if i was able to vote for as many items as i can, I woud only vote for 4 top-10 items, not having any desire ot have others implemented.

Also, right now, voting for any item that is not in top-10 or which has at least some votes seems to be pointless - throwing your votes away, one could say.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 25, 2011, 09:50:18 am »

Yes, but that is because you have to choose, so you choose your biggest itches.

Which is the point.  It's all about what's most important, not about what's most popular.

Some suggestions are small, but also uncontroversial and low-hanging fruit to boot.

Toady's already gone through and implemented some of those.  Here's a quick list:

DONE:
Eggs, eggs, eggs.
Owned Barracks
Incorporate combat text
Doctors/Hospitals
"Message control"
"Fix Cooking Exploit
"Allow cycling through site finder results" (#208)
"Incorporate combat text"

Also, right now, voting for any item that is not in top-10 or which has at least some votes seems to be pointless - throwing your votes away, one could say.

Not really.  Personally I have 11, 12, and 187 voted for.  Once I see any kind of "yay" or "nay" from Toady regarding those two issues (#11 and #12) I'll reallocate them, though, as I did with my previous 3rd vote (putting it into Sawmills).  Farming improvements is kind of my pet item and dwarf foreman (or similar) functionality within the game would ease many issues.

Toady does look at the lower items on the list, looking for low hanging fruit, or other items that should be more important, but are newer and thus less voted upon.

I should also note that I control 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8 (as well as 11, 12, 15 and 19, and 19 other, smaller entries, including four at the bottom marked [FIXED]1), and once those items are completed (or even partially addressed), their votes will be cleaned causing other issues to rise to the top.  The issues will still have the ability to be voted for but the item itself will essentially be a null vote ("This was worked on recently, please vote for something else").

1These four items were at one time in the top 20.  Underground Diversity (not mine) was also closed.  It had 350 votes when it was cleared, making it about #10 (and look at how much more awesome it made the game).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:52:49 am by Draco18s »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #614 on: September 05, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »

(removed a fight from this thread)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58