Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 468821 times)

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #555 on: February 13, 2011, 08:40:26 pm »

It's at the top of the first post of this thread.

Toady's said that things regarding the Eternal Suggestion Voting didn't work out as expected.
That is, that people can close their own completed or outdated posts, or that they can contacted to do so.
Clearly this didn't take into account people who just went inactive .. so we're left with entries for Eggs and Doctors, even though they're already implemented.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 14, 2011, 05:34:59 am »

I think there is sth like admin panel to edit/delete suggestions.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 14, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »

Wow...read over a quarter of the ideas/suggestions and I must say, if the rest are as awesome as those top ones...if they were to be implemented we'd have a AAA title on our hands...man, I love how stupidly fun this game is XP

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 18, 2011, 04:44:27 am »

Eggs eggs eggs has been completed, so it can be removed, I think.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 20, 2011, 10:04:01 am »

I can't even vote. When I read through the suggestions on the list I just cant decide. They are all great.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:14 am »

Remember that the list is suggstions.  Toady is modifying the voted on priorities by both his desire to do it and by difficulty.  An easy item at 20 may be higher in that modified list than a hard item at # 3.  That doesn't mean they don't matter, just that they aren't all that matters

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 24, 2011, 05:44:36 pm »

For any of you list admins out there, I'd just like to point out it could have a bit of cleaning. :P

People requesting -

Faction standing in Adventurer mode (Exists, obviously unaware)
Hospitals (From 07, not been marked as done or obsolete or anything. XD)

Just to let you know, that's 2 I saw on a quick skim. I know you're all busy people. Sorry for wasting your time. ;)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 24, 2011, 07:00:28 pm »

DONE:
Eggs, eggs, eggs.
Owned Barracks
Incorporate combat text
Specific weapon selection
Meeting Area Subcontrol
Factional Standings in Adventurer
Doctors/Hospitals
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 24, 2011, 07:10:31 pm »

Yes, but just look back at the last page or so of discussion.

Toady isn't cleaning this stuff up (and maybe doesn't have admin access to it, since someone else set it up), the people who posted those aren't cleaning them up and most aren't even around anymore, and the guy who actually set this whole system up is gone now, too, I think.  The whole voting system needs a reset, since everyone who participated stopped watching or caring, and the ESV is just frozen in the state it was in a year ago.

Nobody's doing any maintainance on this at all, so it doesn't really matter, nothing's going to get done.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 24, 2011, 08:42:56 pm »

The original philosophy was that Toady would mark them complete when he felt like they were done, although in all honesty, what's the point?  If people want to reallocate votes, they can, if they don't, all deleting the finished items will do is move everything else up one spot, which is easy enough to ignore.  The developer got a good sense about what was important to the community and got a chance to plan the next arc accordingly.

There's enough stuff in the queue now to last another year or two.  Once that (inc. the caravan arc) gets finished, I expect we'll see another version of this come out.

We have the luxury of airily talking about what all we want.  Toady has to actually make a plan and do some of it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 24, 2011, 09:23:03 pm »

"Last a year or two"?  I'll be (extremely pleasantly) surprised if Toady actually even touches the winners of last year's ESV within two years, since he's got enough to last three to six years on the Adventurer stuff, alone (seriously, look at that devpage, the ESV winners are a tiny little speedbump down near the bottom of the page, and the page keeps getting more stuff added to it).  The Caravan Arc stuff is going to take something like four to six months to get through the nine "short term" releases.

After the year and a half of wait for 31.01 to come out, it's taken about 9 months of nothing but bugfix releases for Toady to actually start working on adding something new into the game again.  (And people are complaining that he has put stuff into the game again, since they still want him bugfixing.)

We need that Hauling rewrite desperately

But again, this just underlines why nobody's going to bother to do anything with the ESV.  It doesn't matter at all.  The same things are going to be in the same positions five years from now, and who knows if they'll even be done by then.

Things like bees get put in because they're fast and simple and don't really do anything.  Things like hauling that are hard to code get shoved to the back of the line.

If you actually want your suggestions to get to the top of the list, and for Toady to work on it just because it's popular, then pull up a chair and smoke 'em if you've got 'em, it's gonna be a looooooooong wait.  This is a very long-term game we are dealing with.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 24, 2011, 11:56:03 pm »

Hell, I want hauling improved, but I have NO IDEA how to even begin thinking about the problem. 

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2011, 02:52:29 am »

We need that Hauling rewrite desperately. 
Ekhm. Why?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:30 am »

We need that Hauling rewrite desperately. 
Ekhm. Why?

This one seed!  It is so heavy!  It takes up my entire capacity to carry items!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 25, 2011, 08:43:15 am »

My opinion?

1:  no mechanical advantage available for large things (donkeys, mine carts, dollies)
2:  no collecting multiple objects going to the same place(herbalist is the best example)
3:  no 'on your way' tasks (dwarf heading to mine brings along food for the food pile down there.)
4:  general pathfinding issues.

These are all really tough problems to solve with an fps friendly algo.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58