Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 468842 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2009, 01:31:55 pm »

Why don't y'all stop trying to micro-manage other people's votes and just let democracy* do its thing?  It's a web poll for goodness sake, it won't kill anyone if someone you don't know votes sub-optimally**!  Just let it go.  It works surprisingly well if you leave it alone.

*Not an actual democracy.  Votes are for advisory purposes only.

**In your estimation.  Other people have different opinions and value systems.  They probably have reasons for how they vote.  Please respect that.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2009, 04:12:52 pm »

I blame the current system. It's too static, once the majority of people have voted. Draco and Granite are just eager, is all. I'll see what can be done about that. My exams are over in four weeks, and I'll have two more weeks free after that. I am also not too happy with the current system, it works, and it's certainly better than the manual polling we had before, but I also think something a bit more dynamic would be appropriate.

Some things I have in mind are extensions to the simple list, like panels for the newest suggestions and a random pick. Also, vote accumulation over a certain time period could be interesting (think "hot" suggestions), or how a suggestion has lately fared in the global perspective (up or down).
Another idea is to incorporate different voting mechanisms into the list. Some people seem to prefer being able to give votes on all suggestions (including negative votes), and another request was a comparative algorithm, that queries the user to answer a series of "which do you like better" questions on two randomly picked suggestions.

The main idea is to not replace the current system, but to add the new functionality along it. Think different tabs/pages for the different voting mechanisms. This should also be an interesting experiment, to see which suggestions rank how in each different system.

And of course, some UI improvements might also be needed.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2009, 10:45:25 pm »

I still feel that up/down voting with unlimited votes per person (that is, everyone can vote each individual suggestion either up, down, or neutral) would be best.  The current system favors broad and attention-grabbing topics too much.

With up/down voting, simple uncontroversial suggestions would tend to drift to the top, which I think is better given the overall purpose and use for suggestion votes.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2009, 12:53:36 am »

The problem with up/down voting is this: How do you decide which to upvote and which to downvote?

You can't just upvote all the things you like and downvote all the things you don't, because almost EVERYTHING in the suggestion box (or at least the sane things, the ones that are worth considering in the first place) are things that people are going to want eventually.

It's less a question of "which suggestions do you like/dislike" and more a question of "which suggestions do you like more than the rest".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2009, 12:55:23 am »

zagibu is correct that there's not really a strict need to only use a single voting method.  It would be interesting to see how the rankings vary depending on the method.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2009, 11:26:12 am »

You can't just upvote all the things you like and downvote all the things you don't, because almost EVERYTHING in the suggestion box (or at least the sane things, the ones that are worth considering in the first place) are things that people are going to want eventually.

Agreed

It's less a question of "which suggestions do you like/dislike" and more a question of "which suggestions do you like more than the rest".

"Here are two suggestions, which do you want more?"

It's not "one versus all" it's A vs. B, A vs. C, A vs. D, B vs. C, B vs. D, and C vs. D individually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2009, 11:36:53 am »

If there was Downvoting in the Eternal Suggestion voting it should have absolutely no effect on the possition (or possitive votes) of the suggestion.

There are many good reasons for this system as opposed to one where downvotes could harm an otherwise popular suggestion.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2009, 08:40:04 pm »

I just noticed, "Incorporate combat text" (currently #61) should be marked as resolved - combat reports and control of the message spam is already in the next version.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2009, 09:05:45 am »

I just noticed, "Incorporate combat text" (currently #61) should be marked as resolved - combat reports and control of the message spam is already in the next version.

In theory, Toady's in charge of the clearing, and intends to do so at the release.  (In reality, some people are deleting their suggestions when the work gets announced, or near complete, or whatever)

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2009, 11:02:14 pm »

Suggestion:  When the next update comes out and a bunch of issues are resolved, we should reset all the votes and allow a week or so for people to introduce new topics without casting votes.  Thereafter, when vote casting begins, have the whole list arranged completely at random and with no totals next to each item.  Only after someone has voted should the vote totals be visible, that way the top items won't continue to suck up all the votes.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 04, 2009, 03:50:50 am »

A month wouldn't hurt either. There are going to be quite a lot changes in the next version, it'll take a while to digest them all.

Additionally, it might help to avoid the general "Improved xxx" suggestions. With specific suggestions it's much easier to determine whether they have been addressed or not.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »

I think having more than 3 votes would be fine.  Perhaps each person should have at least 5, perhaps 7?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2009, 11:25:40 pm »

I think having more than 3 votes would be fine.  Perhaps each person should have at least 5, perhaps 7?

I disagree.

This about gauging priorities, so forcing people to decide what's most important is a good thing.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2009, 05:09:39 am »

I disagree.

This about gauging priorities, so forcing people to decide what's most important is a good thing.
There are plenty of suggestions, so that will still leave us with enough differentiation after everyone voted. Or votes could be distributed how the player wants (eg. 4 votes on one subject) so people can push one thing really hard or support a number of suggestions they would like a bit.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2009, 07:08:59 pm »

I like the runoff voting style suggested earlier (this or that? next question - this2 or that2?).

Also, I added the visible movement between tiles suggestion to the list.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 58